Bend classification

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Hi

Just read the WYLIWYG booklet, interesting but as a motorcyclist I would like to see less things on the road side, if you come off they hurt a lot more than the grass or even a wall
exportmanuk

Postby christopherwk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:15 pm

exportmanuk wrote:
christopherwk wrote:
No need if you have sat-nav! :P

You driving a vehicle or A COMPUTER GAME?

It was tongue in cheek. :P
christopherwk

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Discodriver wrote:Doesn't matter what you stick at the side of the road, if the driver, or rider, doesn't understand their limits or that of the machine they'll still bin it.

It will still, as always, come down to training. If you can't stop in the distance you can see to be clear, you'll wake up in casualty, maybe.

Sorry to be so damming but there's more than enough road signs out there, plus paint, plus rumble to make it pretty obvious to most drivers that there is a hazard ahead, a lot just don't seem to understand.

I agree with certain aspects. Removal of excess signage is something that should be high on any list of road improvement. Likewise, excess paint. But painting "SLOW" three or four times on a road, putting up a left/right bend sign and chevrons to indicate a tight bend seems excessive and expensive. A simple grading system could replace some of this, and make it more obvious.

This wouldn't change a drivers' responsibilities or increase liability.
Gromit37

Postby brianhaddon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

The trouble with these signs is that it depends on the environment. Drive a twisty section and it is only the sharpest bends that are signed. Drive a section full of straight roads and the slightest curve brings out the warnings. The signs are there to warn of change. How do you standardise that?
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:46 am

exportmanuk wrote: Just read the WYLIWYG booklet, interesting but as a motorcyclist I would like to see less things on the road side, if you come off they hurt a lot more than the grass or even a wall

I'd love to know why lampposts are always on the outside of bends . . .

Besides the impact risk, it's also going to use more underground cable!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Flexibase » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Worcestershire, and probably other counties, has a system for tight bends of a recommended speed in mph below the advanced warning sign.

The problem with that is that you could be tempted to think they are appropriate for large vehicles and take then faster in a car whereas, in practice, some are about right for a car!

New Zealand have a similar system with the recommended speed (kph) on most chevron signs. The problem with that is that they are so numerous it can lead to dependence on them and so forget to read the limit point on bends not so marked. Couple this with many sheer drops having no barriers or just woodens ones and...!

I agree with the previous comment about sharper bends having no room for many chevrons - "More chevrons, tighter bend" is misleading Pub Law!
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Flexibase wrote: I agree with the previous comment about sharper bends having no room for many chevrons - "More chevrons, tighter bend" is misleading Pub Law!

More boards, or more arrows on the board?

Does anyone have any idea what guidance councils work to on this?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:11 pm

Flexibase wrote:"More chevrons, tighter bend" is misleading Pub Law!

However the more signs there are the more likely that other drivers have misjudged it.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:52 am

Gareth wrote:
Flexibase wrote:"More chevrons, tighter bend" is misleading Pub Law!

However the more signs there are the more likely that other drivers have misjudged it.

Especially if you can see one knocked over/damaged
jont

Postby michael769 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Horse wrote:
Flexibase wrote:
Does anyone have any idea what guidance councils work to on this?

It is covered in chapter 4 of The Traffic Signs Manual
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Big Err » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:47 am

There is guidance for bend signing on single carriageway Scottish Trunk Roads which is based on the relative severity of the bend depending on the approach speed. eg the bend at the end of a long straight may receive more signing than the last bend in a series of bends even if that bend has a tighter radius than the first.

Advice, Procedure and Guidance APG_E115 "HAZARD WARNING SIGNS AND MARKINGS ON BENDS ON SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY TRUNK ROADS"
Last edited by Big Err on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Big Err » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:50 am

exportmanuk wrote:Hi

Just read the WYLIWYG booklet, interesting but as a motorcyclist I would like to see less things on the road side, if you come off they hurt a lot more than the grass or even a wall

The WYLIWYG info is great until a few years down the line and some of the verge markers go missing. Do you seriously think that a maintenance team will put them back in the right place? :roll:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby redrobo » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Horse wrote:
exportmanuk wrote: Just read the WYLIWYG booklet, interesting but as a motorcyclist I would like to see less things on the road side, if you come off they hurt a lot more than the grass or even a wall

I'd love to know why lampposts are always on the outside of bends . . .

Besides the impact risk, it's also going to use more underground cable!

The distribution of the light is better.

WYLIWYG good link who pointed you in the right direction?

Bucks CC have been quite forward thinking, self illuminating cats eye, where they found the kids are racing their cars down the roads without lights (at Night). Young driver programme and Better bike days.

Why would anyone need signs telling them a bend is approaching when generally there are so many other visual links and clues?
redrobo

Postby fungus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:49 pm

redrobo wrote:Why would anyone need signs telling them a bend is approaching when generally there are so many other visual links and clues?

For the numpties who can't read the clues.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 am

fungus wrote:
redrobo wrote:Why would anyone need signs telling them a bend is approaching when generally there are so many other visual links and clues?

For the numpties who can't read the clues.

If they can't read the existing clues, what makes you think they'll pay any attention to new signs?
jont

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum