RED Light jumpers!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GJD » Fri May 07, 2010 1:08 pm

jont wrote:
GJD wrote:I don't think the solution to unnecessary red lights is as easy or obvious as the solution to unnecessarily low speed limits.

While many junctions may not be easy, where they are on roundabouts, I think there's a very good case for turning them off outside of rush hour.

I absolutely agree. I think that would be a huge benefit.
GJD

Postby gannet » Fri May 07, 2010 1:34 pm

jont wrote:
gannet wrote:I see more and more cycle lanes popping up all over the place - all down the left hand side of the road. A good idea in principle - but should a cyclist going past stationary traffic use the cycle lane or go down the right hand side of the lane of traffic? As a cyclist I always feel safer going down the right hand side... be interested in any thoughts?

Personally (as another cycle commuter), I'll use whichever side I feel safer when passing. Often there's not enough room to pass on the right without being across the white lines and you sometimes have a problem when traffic starts moving and hasn't noticed you out there.

Glad it isn't just me then - I often get a load of funny looks from other cyclists fighting their way up the inside as I sail up the outside :D

jont wrote:I'd also rather see solid lined (rather than advisory) cycle lanes - of decent width, and I wish councils would stop making them disappear where they are needed most - such as where the road narrows or there's a junction, although I suppose no cycle lane is better than one that's too narrow to use safely. And don't get me started on road users that pull up in advanced stop boxes or stop randomly to let traffic out (usually having just overtaken me and cut me up) not thinking about the effort it takes for a cyclist to get moving again. They also seem to equate all cyclists as slow moving vehicles, rather than allowing for the fact we can often keep up with or exceed traffic speeds :evil: Oh dear, that's turned into a bit of a rant.

LOL - that could have been me writing that!
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby gannet » Fri May 07, 2010 1:34 pm

GJD wrote:
jont wrote:
GJD wrote:I don't think the solution to unnecessary red lights is as easy or obvious as the solution to unnecessarily low speed limits.

While many junctions may not be easy, where they are on roundabouts, I think there's a very good case for turning them off outside of rush hour.

I absolutely agree. I think that would be a huge benefit.

me too.
-- Gannet.
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Daaave » Sat May 08, 2010 8:11 am

gannet wrote:
jont wrote:
gannet wrote:I see more and more cycle lanes popping up all over the place - all down the left hand side of the road. A good idea in principle - but should a cyclist going past stationary traffic use the cycle lane or go down the right hand side of the lane of traffic? As a cyclist I always feel safer going down the right hand side... be interested in any thoughts?

Personally (as another cycle commuter), I'll use whichever side I feel safer when passing. Often there's not enough room to pass on the right without being across the white lines and you sometimes have a problem when traffic starts moving and hasn't noticed you out there.

Glad it isn't just me then - I often get a load of funny looks from other cyclists fighting their way up the inside as I sail up the outside :D

jont wrote:I'd also rather see solid lined (rather than advisory) cycle lanes - of decent width, and I wish councils would stop making them disappear where they are needed most - such as where the road narrows or there's a junction, although I suppose no cycle lane is better than one that's too narrow to use safely. And don't get me started on road users that pull up in advanced stop boxes or stop randomly to let traffic out (usually having just overtaken me and cut me up) not thinking about the effort it takes for a cyclist to get moving again. They also seem to equate all cyclists as slow moving vehicles, rather than allowing for the fact we can often keep up with or exceed traffic speeds :evil: Oh dear, that's turned into a bit of a rant.

LOL - that could have been me writing that!

I think as long as you make a decision and then try not to weave from nearside to offside too often it's ok. But I really don't like it when I have a couple of cyclists behind in moving traffic and they both are weaving around - I spend more time checking where they are than looking where I'm going.

This seems to be worst when one is a 'cyclist' (looks prepared, has the gear, possibly more aware) and the other is a 'bike rider' (jeans and t-shirt). I've often seen the bike rider follow the cyclist in whatever manoeuvre they carry out. Perhaps there are analogues to a ADer straightening some bends with another driver not far behind, they can end up following you but they might not necessarily be aware of the hazards.
Daaave

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sat May 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Re cyclists positioning at lights, I wonder what the book says? Anyone got a copy yet?

Re the OP, Somerset Road Safety Camera Partnership has widened their 1/2 day course to include red light jumpers and apparently they now account for 25% of those attending
AnalogueAndy

Postby Gareth » Sat May 08, 2010 4:16 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:Re cyclists positioning at lights, I wonder what the book says? Anyone got a copy yet?

"Cyclecraft" -- ISBN 978-0-11-703740-3 -- says cyclists should position centrally in the lane when waiting at traffic lights.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby gannet » Sat May 08, 2010 5:53 pm

Gareth wrote:
AnalogueAndy wrote:Re cyclists positioning at lights, I wonder what the book says? Anyone got a copy yet?

"Cyclecraft" -- ISBN 978-0-11-703740-3 -- says cyclists should position centrally in the lane when waiting at traffic lights.

be interesting to see what advice the new IAM cycling campaign comes up with...
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue May 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Re red light jumpers - it has become very prevalent. One of the problems now is that people expect to bomb through the lights almost without slowing, right up to the second they turn red (and often after). That means if you are approaching some lights that may turn red, you have to be more concerned with the motorists behind you nowadays, than you do with the lights themselves. Grrr! (and yes we could try and use Dave (TripleS)'s technique here, but you do have to be very careful)

Re cycling - couldn't agree more about the provision of cycle lanes being rather patchy, and just when you need them, they disappear. Swindon is reasonably well provided, but in crucial areas, they aren't there, so you suffer a light and dark experience where half your journey is completely safe, and the other half involves fighting through busy junctions with the cars.

Oh, and Daaave, I'm a "bike rider". I don't get dressed up in shiny yellow lycra to cycle to work, but I do have a great many years of commuting to various jobs on two wheels in my past. I obey the Highway Code. Appearance isn't everything! Some quite advanced drivers drive red Nissan Micras - need I say more? :P

Re part time signals - we had the man from Swindon BC to talk to our RoSPA group last night, and it was rather saddening to find that a number of things seemed very new to him. Among these were signals on roundabouts - (why do they need to be operating at night?), series of signals synchronised so you get a "green wave" if you travel at the speed limit, signals that turn red if you approach them travelling above the speed limit (seen in France and Spain on entering villages etc.), and so on... Hopefully he will take away some ideas and investigate them, anyway. He was a nice chap, if not exactly exciting :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed May 12, 2010 6:30 am

Cycle lanes - personally I'm not particularly keen on them, particularly when they move onto the 'foot'path. The problem with cycle paths is that many drivers think the cyclist MUST use teh wretched thing. I used to cycle commute every day and was nearly taken off a couple of times leading up to a particular roundabout in Swindon (where Jury's Inn is now, Nick). Because I was intending to follow the road ahead I positioned to the centre of the lane rather than in the cycle lane whereas the car drivers expected me to move over to the left into the cycle lane! Why they thought I would want to be tight to the left so that cars turning left would cut across me I don't know - prats! I managed to get this cycle lane removed by reporting the incidents to the council. Other problems can be when a narrow cycle lane is painted onto the road and then they put double yellow lines along the road - bike isn't too stable on painted lines when it's wet! :roll:

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby GJD » Wed May 12, 2010 11:20 am

adiNigel wrote:Cycle lanes - personally I'm not particularly keen on them

Neither am I. I'm much happier cycling on roads that don't have cycle lanes. As you suggest, if there's no cycle lane, there's no opportunity for other road users to mistakenly expect or assume that I will always want to be in the cycle lane. And I think overtaking vehicles often pass closer if I'm cycling in a cycle lane. Perhaps the solid white line between us is seen as sufficient separation, no matter how close the actual distance.
GJD

Postby jont » Wed May 12, 2010 11:44 am

GJD wrote:

Neither am I. I'm much happier cycling on roads that don't have cycle lanes. As you suggest, if there's no cycle lane, there's no opportunity for other road users to mistakenly expect or assume that I will always want to be in the cycle lane.

Indeed. Although I've also been given abuse by drivers for not using shared footpath cycle lanes where there is one next to the road, but no in-road cycle path :evil: I can partly understand why the council have marked them as shared use, but it really does no favours to the cyclist who wants to make good progress and doesn't like having to give way across every side junction.
jont

Postby gannet » Wed May 12, 2010 11:46 am

GJD wrote:

Neither am I. I'm much happier cycling on roads that don't have cycle lanes. As you suggest, if there's no cycle lane, there's no opportunity for other road users to mistakenly expect or assume that I will always want to be in the cycle lane. And I think overtaking vehicles often pass closer if I'm cycling in a cycle lane. Perhaps the solid white line between us is seen as sufficient separation, no matter how close the actual distance.

I use them occasionally....

bugs me when riding down a road with cycle lanes when all the potholes in the main road area have been fixed, they leave the ones (often quite large) in the cycle lane! why?! It will actually cause a cyclist more damage that a car driver...
-- Gannet.
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Wed May 12, 2010 12:45 pm

jont wrote:

Or as elsewhere and keep a flashing amber on - which I think is better.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby martine » Wed May 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:...I don't get dressed up in shiny yellow lycra to cycle to work...

I guess you save that for other 'occasions' :shock:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm

>Resists showing the Tron picture< :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum