Put In My Place

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jcochrane » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 pm

7db wrote:The glinting dome? Able to chat? Surely not...such a quiet fellow...

:lol:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:34 pm

jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:
OK, so let's have some more detail of that 'much to learn' :)

What was he doing differently?

How was he doing it?

How could you tell what he was doing 'better' - what 'yardstick' is there to measure each of the differences?

If you can think like that then you can work towards closing the gap.

It's not quite that simple. Even if the precision and consistency could be matched there is still that extra element that can't be defined. Like a top artist in any field they bring something to a performance that makes it stand out..a special energy.....what it is nobody can tell but they will recognise it when they see or hear it.

Different people prefer different artists, not all tastes are the same.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jont » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 am

vonhosen wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:

What was he doing differently?

How was he doing it?

How could you tell what he was doing 'better' - what 'yardstick' is there to measure each of the differences?

If you can think like that then you can work towards closing the gap.

It's not quite that simple. Even if the precision and consistency could be matched there is still that extra element that can't be defined. Like a top artist in any field they bring something to a performance that makes it stand out..a special energy.....what it is nobody can tell but they will recognise it when they see or hear it.

I think that was agreed previously (that peoples idea of who the "best" driver is would differ), but can you objectively differentiate between the performances of say Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and David Gilmour?
jont

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:13 am

vonhosen wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
Horse wrote:If you can think like that then you can work towards closing the gap.

If I read it correctly, the OP would love to drive in the way demonstrated, so that's the artist he wishes to emulate.

As for the 'extra element'? So what? Surely the key is for the OP to define what he wants to achieve that the other driver was doing? There's a 'heirachy' too: work on safety-related items first, etc.

And you've [Cochrane] started that by mentioning precision and consistency. So now it's for the OP to break it down further, and decide what he wants. Or are you saying he shouldn't bother even trying because training isn't required - it's natural talent only? :?: :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:32 am

I'm confused. Who are we referring to as the OP here, since JC started this thread as well :?

There are some drivers who inspire. There are others who allegedly are just as good, but don't inspire. In the first case, the OP (JC) was inspired to wish he could emulate what he saw. In others, he might not. It's pretty hard to define exactly what makes a performance inspiring. As von says, different things will appeal to different people.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 am

jont wrote:I think that was agreed previously (that peoples idea of who the "best" driver is would differ), but can you objectively differentiate between the performances of say Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and David Gilmour?

I know what you are saying but actually I think I can objectively note the differences between aforesaid axe-men...in a few words...

Jimi: creative, unusual but not melodic
EC: superb, sharp blues
Mr. Gilmour: beautifully expressive in slow pieces esp.

Saw Joe Bonamassa on Monday...but perhaps all of this is a post for http://www.advanced-guitar-hero.co.uk or whatever.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jcochrane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:00 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I'm confused. Who are we referring to as the OP here, since JC started this thread as well :?

Thanks Nick. I was about to have an identity crisis. :D
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 am

jont wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

I think that was agreed previously (that peoples idea of who the "best" driver is would differ), but can you objectively differentiate between the performances of say Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and David Gilmour?

Some objective differences have been highlighted above, but for me it's more about the totally different moods they evoke & that can be observed in those watching them play.
Last edited by vonhosen on Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
vonhosen

Postby Gareth » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 am

Horse wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Words cannot do justice to that drive, awesome. Pace, balance, flow, smooth as silk.

Sometimes it's not that easy. Imagine being completely bowled over by something - it seems so far above what you can do that all it can do is inspire. You might get some ideas about what could be improved in your own driving, but a sense remains that there is so much that you don't get, as if you're just not good enough to understand all they are doing and the subtleties in their actions.

But sometimes a good dollop of inspiration is all that is needed.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I'm confused. Who are we referring to as the OP here, since JC started this thread as well :?

Ha! :lol:

You've got me there!

In which case I have no idea what the OP actually does want . . . was it just an 'observation' session, or a wish to be humbled, I really don't know.

However, if the aim was to improve, then the questions still stand. But perhaps for others' use ;)

I'm guessing that nothing superhuman or unnatural was demonstrated, so it should be possible to emulate elements of it. If not, then that scuppers any notion of training actually 'working' . . .

So, back to the OP ( and his twin ;) ) - what do you actually want to change?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:28 pm

Horse wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

If I read it correctly, the OP would love to drive in the way demonstrated, so that's the artist he wishes to emulate.

As for the 'extra element'? So what? Surely the key is for the OP to define what he wants to achieve that the other driver was doing? There's a 'heirachy' too: work on safety-related items first, etc.

And you've [Cochrane] started that by mentioning precision and consistency. So now it's for the OP to break it down further, and decide what he wants. Or are you saying he shouldn't bother even trying because training isn't required - it's natural talent only? :?: :)

Not saying it's natural talent only, but we are all different people & who we are will be a part of our exhibited driving.
It's far easier to identify & emulate what somebody does technically, not so easy to copy ( or should we try ?) the personality of or behind the drive.
vonhosen

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:04 pm

vonhosen wrote:
Horse wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

Or are you saying he shouldn't bother even trying because training isn't required - it's natural talent only? :?: :)

Not saying it's natural talent only, but we are all different people & who we are will be a part of our exhibited driving.
It's far easier to identify & emulate what somebody does technically, not so easy to copy ( or should we try ?) the personality of or behind the drive.

Fair point. And there was a big cheesy grin smiley behind that line ;)

But perhaps that personality is the real thing that should be emulated?

Assuming that it's what someone wants to change about their driving - and I mean that in the sense that if a driver has a calm, relaxed, 'in control' style, then they're not things that can be easily learned from a book - but they are aspects of personality which have a heavy influence on the person's driving style. Contrast that against, for example, someone who has an aggressive personality.

Again, it returns to analysing what you (who? anyone? :) ) wants to change - what they want to become. One thing can lead to another, and perhaps emulating - for instance - relaxed confidence personality will allow a relaxed, confident drive to materialise?

(Note that 'confidence' can be in having the confidence to say 'No' to an overtake - rather than over-confidence in abilities.)

That 'personality', or attitude, can be influenced even by the way terminology is used.
Horse

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Horse wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

Fair point. And there was a big cheesy grin smiley behind that line ;)

But perhaps that personality is the real thing that should be emulated?

Assuming that it's what someone wants to change about their driving - and I mean that in the sense that if a driver has a calm, relaxed, 'in control' style, then they're not things that can be easily learned from a book - but they are aspects of personality which have a heavy influence on the person's driving style. Contrast that against, for example, someone who has an aggressive personality.

Again, it returns to analysing what you (who? anyone? :) ) wants to change - what they want to become. One thing can lead to another, and perhaps emulating - for instance - relaxed confidence personality will allow a relaxed, confident drive to materialise?

(Note that 'confidence' can be in having the confidence to say 'No' to an overtake - rather than over-confidence in abilities.)

That 'personality', or attitude, can be influenced even by the way terminology is used.

That goes deeper than just our driving though, we are looking at who we currently are & who we want to be as an individual. The individual part is important I think & whilst we might admire some traits that others display we shouldn't worry too much that we won't be the amalgamation that defines them (IMHO).

A little individuality & personal flare should be celebrated.
vonhosen

Postby Horse » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:32 pm

vonhosen wrote: A little individuality & personal flare should be celebrated.

Indeed. We're all individuals.

Except me :)
Horse

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum