Driving is an art?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby christopherwk » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 am

vonhosen wrote:
redrobo wrote:
Horse wrote:

And the role model for most chauffeurs would be... The police response driver.

It is ?

:) Up to a point I think, aspects of Roadcraft such as use of the system as a smooth and systematic approach to hazards, and limit points to make a smooth, settled, safe drive round bends.
christopherwk

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:24 am

redrobo wrote:
Horse wrote:
7db wrote: the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?

I'd have thought the the diplomatic protection style is a more likely influence, with the emphasis on getting from A > B safely and smoothly, but without the 'progress' imperative needed to pass an 'advanced' test.

After all, it's possible to drive safely and smoothly without following the roadcraft system.

Whether or not UK chauffers are trained to Roadcraft is probably more of a hangover from the police influence on 'training' generally in the UK.

FWIW A few years ago I was a passenger in a taxi. After we'd got out, one of the others commented adversly about the guy's driving. Although perhaps a bit 'brisk', he was actually driving to an 'advanced' level using smooth lines etc.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:13 pm

redrobo wrote:
Horse wrote:
7db wrote: the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?

I think you know that Roadcraft is for Police drivers, very few of whom ever get to be response drivers.

Not getting into the blue or red corners on this one though :D

Not sure if it's supposed to mean Police advanced driver or police VIP driver, but almost every police officer I've ever meet is or has been a reponse driver.
Standard Dave

Postby 7db » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:24 am

I didn't say that.
7db

Postby waremark » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:36 am

The last chauffeur I was driven by was a retired police advanced driver - superb.

We have a club member whose day job is driving a senior government minister in an armoured Jaguar - again he had a police advanced driving qualification. He said the objective was a drive which would not cause the lid of the ministers red box to fall shut, but which would make excellent progress consistent with that constraint.
waremark

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 am

waremark wrote:The last chauffeur I was driven by was a retired police advanced driver - superb.

We have a club member whose day job is driving a senior government minister in an armoured Jaguar - again he had a police advanced driving qualification. He said the objective was a drive which would not cause the lid of the ministers red box to fall shut, but which would make excellent progress consistent with that constraint.

Off at a tangent . . .

. . . It struck me this morning that police response driver training ought to involve sessions with white van man types - to find out how they can shovel vehicles along so quickly ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:38 pm

Discodriver wrote:
Horse wrote: Off at a tangent . . .

. . . It struck me this morning that police response driver training ought to involve sessions with white van man types - to find out how they can shovel vehicles along so quickly ;)

As a driver of a "white van" I can assure you all it requires is a heavy right foot and no regard for vehicle sympathy or fuel economy. And as most never have passengers, who needs passenger comfort :lol:

When I said 'struck me' I didn't mean that literally :) - but it would enhance the white vehicle's braking if it was achieved by breaking the vehicle in front ;)

Certainly the following distances usually demonstrated are like those use by the diplomatic protection drivers - perhaps WVM is police trained too :D
Horse

Postby quintaton » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:38 pm

7db wrote:
quintaton wrote:Art?

What is the meaning of the word?

Made.

================================

Brittanica Online......"the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others."

The older Latin meaning roughly translates to "skill" or "craft."

Most of the great composers were regarded simply as "skilled tradesmen" by their employers, who created things to order when specifically asked to do so.

We're both right, so perhaps we can agree to combine the two and opt for "creative skill."

Q
quintaton

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:13 am

quintaton wrote:
7db wrote:
quintaton wrote:Art?

What is the meaning of the word?

Made.

================================

Brittanica Online......"the use of skill and imagination in the creation of aesthetic objects, environments, or experiences that can be shared with others."

The older Latin meaning roughly translates to "skill" or "craft."

Most of the great composers were regarded simply as "skilled tradesmen" by their employers, who created things to order when specifically asked to do so.

We're both right, so perhaps we can agree to combine the two and opt for "creative skill."

Perhaps put 'art driving' into context: a friend says that many drivers are 'appliance operators', they merely use a vehicle in the same way they would any other houshold appliance, and with - perhaps - as much or little thought.
Horse

Postby 7db » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:16 am

Horse wrote:a friend says that many drivers are 'appliance operators', they merely use a vehicle in the same way they would any other houshold appliance, and with - perhaps - as much or little thought.

Oh Lord don't tell the firemen.
7db

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:54 pm

7db wrote:
Horse wrote:a friend says that many drivers are 'appliance operators', they merely use a vehicle in the same way they would any other houshold appliance, and with - perhaps - as much or little thought.

Oh Lord don't tell the firemen.

:lol:

Excellent!

Trouble is, I'm sad enough to know at what point an 'engine' becomes an applicance . . . :cry: *

* For anyone who cares, when the pump is driven by, or the entire edifice propelled by, an infernal combustion engine, then it's a 'fire appliance'. Otherwise (ie steam or manual), it's a 'fire engine'. I think (read it many years ago . . . )
Horse

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum