'Unproven' Driving Safety Course Changes Gear

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GJD » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:28 pm

ROG wrote:By 'driving in advance mode' I simply meant that IPSGA should be considered for every hazard and to be aware enough at any given point and not letting the ethoos of advanced driving go out of the proverbial window

I think it's all about mindset, but I find it hard to define. My RoSPA tutor suggested to me that if "advanced" for you is a style of driving you choose to do sometimes but can choose not to do, you're not an advanced driver. In between the first few sessions with him, I found I would get in the car to go to work and think: I should practise - today I'll do a "RoSPA drive" (or "Volvo driving" as my other half described it :) ). Other times I'd think: I don't feel like practising, I'll just drive normally today.

That distinction didn't last and now when I get in the car I don't have a "normal" and an "advanced" approach to choose between, I just drive. I hope I do it more safely than I used to, but it's hard to put my finger on what has changed. (I hope that doesn't mean nothing has changed...)
GJD

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm

StressedDave wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:I spoke to him about no need to tell daddy or contact the police. I am yet to be convinced avon and somerset police know what roadcraft or pull-push is as not one of the drivers I have seen applies it and nigel albright shares my views.

So we have a chippy twenty-something with a non-existent amount of Police advanced driving experience but the belief that possession of a civilian driving award entitles him to criticise those who the job day-in, day-out relatively successfully (at least I'm fairly sure there isn't a huge cluster of POLCOLs down there caused by failure to pull-push steering).

Dave how the devil are you ?

Yes you can say I am too young and under qualfied to comment on such matters yes this could well be true! Although that is my 'chipper twenty something' opinion all the same. Its also a view shared by are mutual friend Mr Albright is he well placed enough to pass judgment? Also the head of police driver training in the neighbouring force. Are they in a position to pass judgement?

I watched an umarked bmw come steaming through town the other day and smash its n/s/r wheel on an island. Yes I am sure the driver was making the best of his advanced training there.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/news/Avon-Somerset-police-involved-1-380-accidents-years/article-261848-detail/article.html

However its fair to say that getting the balance right is not easy> "The risks taken by an officer need to be proportionate to the incident to which they are responding."
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jcochrane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:31 pm

Some years ago I stopped to give my name as a witness to a traffic accident. It turned out one of the cars involved was driven by a police officer. He told me that he was required to report the accident to his bosses as it had happened on his way to work and that I would be required to give a statement. That evening a police officer called for that purpose.

This experience, I suggest, supports the statement made by StressedDave that the police do take seriously and investigate accidents involving police officers.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Thank you dave for your point of view and insight into police accidents.

You have such a beautiful way with words.

To set the record straight I don't have a belief that civilian advanced driving qualifications make me a better driver than a police driver.

I was picking on one force imparticular and like I said a police driver trainer shares my view and I think they are qualified to make an that judgement.
Last edited by jbsportstech on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:36 pm

jcochrane wrote:Some years ago I stopped to give my name as a witness to a traffic accident. It turned out one of the cars involved was driven by a police officer. He told me that he was required to report the accident to his bosses as it had happened on his way to work and that I would be required to give a statement. That evening a police officer called for that purpose.

This experience, I suggest, supports the statement made by StressedDave that the police do take seriously and investigate accidents involving police officers.

Thanks for that I never suggested otherwise.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:43 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
StressedDave wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:I spoke to him about no need to tell daddy or contact the police. I am yet to be convinced avon and somerset police know what roadcraft or pull-push is as not one of the drivers I have seen applies it and nigel albright shares my views.

So we have a chippy twenty-something with a non-existent amount of Police advanced driving experience but the belief that possession of a civilian driving award entitles him to criticise those who the job day-in, day-out relatively successfully (at least I'm fairly sure there isn't a huge cluster of POLCOLs down there caused by failure to pull-push steering).

Dave how the devil are you ?

Yes you can say I am too young and under qualfied to comment on such matters yes this could well be true! Although that is my 'chipper twenty something' opinion all the same. Its also a view shared by are mutual friend Mr Albright is he well placed enough to pass judgment? Also the head of police driver training in the neighbouring force. Are they in a position to pass judgement?"

Not everybody agrees with Mr Albright & the importance he attributes to some things. I know I personally don't.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby MGF » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Obviously not but that doesn't justify SD's diatribe against JB for expressing his views.... Seems to me JB's conceit is matched by SD's condescension... :)
MGF

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 pm

People wonder why young people won't want to get involved in anything called 'advanced' driving. There is always someone like dave there to shoot them down when the become passionate and enthused about it.

Luckly there are individuals like Nigel Albright and the forums own Gareth who attempt to nuture the enthusiasm rather than just shoot them down and call them a w*****.

Von do you know nigel personally?
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:14 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Von do you know nigel personally?

I've never met him.
Just disagreed with him on some threads in which we conversed.
vonhosen

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:18 pm

vonhosen wrote:

I've never met him.

Oh right what forum/s was that one?

He seems in tune with Chris Gilbert having met and spoken to both of them.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:21 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
vonhosen wrote:

I've never met him.

Oh right what forum/s was that one?

He seems in tune with Chris Gilbert having met and spoken to both of them.

On PH I believe.

I don't agree with everything Chris says either, that's the beauty of having your own opinion, you're not beholden to others for it. (I've obviously met Chris though).
vonhosen

Postby jcochrane » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:32 pm

jbsportstech wrote:People wonder why young people won't want to get involved in anything called 'advanced' driving. There is always someone like dave there to shoot them down when the become passionate and enthused about it.

James, I don't think Dave responded as he did because you were "passionate and enthused" about advanced driving. At least that was not the impression I got.

jbsportstech wrote:Luckly there are individuals like Nigel Albright and the forums own Gareth who attempt to nuture the enthusiasm rather than just shoot them down and call them a w*****.

Von do you know nigel personally?

I first met Nigel in the mid 1970's at The Whyte Hart Hotel in Bletchingly. Also present was Jane Stewart-Smith. I wonder if he remembers? :)
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

I was wondering when Nigel would get a mention, JB. Glad the relationship's still on.

You suggest I'm putting myself above Chris 'Glibert', then in the next breath state that nobody in your force drives properly. Is that not a contradiction? There will be people there with a very similar training background to CG.

You accuse other people of shooting down young drivers, yet you started this conversation by slating a young driver who has bothered to do advanced training because he didn't shuffle in a carpark. No contradiction there either?
zadocbrown

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:38 pm

zadocbrown wrote:I was wondering when Nigel would get a mention, JB. Glad the relationship's still on.

I am glad that your glad. He is rospa southwest training officer why wouldnt it be any other way. I have never had anyone but him as a tutor from rospa southwest. Jay aka nuster100 is no longer chairman either.

zadocbrown wrote:You suggest I'm putting myself above Chris 'Glibert', then in the next breath state that nobody in your force drives properly. Is that not a contradiction? There will be people there with a very similar training background to CG.

Where did I generalise that it was all police drivers in all forces. I was talking about one force Avon and Somerset. The standard seems generally good in Devon and Cornwall.

zadocbrown wrote:You accuse other people of shooting down young drivers, yet you started this conversation by slating a young driver who has bothered to do advanced training because he didn't shuffle in a carpark. No contradiction there either?

Firstly it not just the lack of pull-push it was the speed and erratic manor driving through carpark with vehicles moving as well as pedestrians. Don't assume pull-push is the only thing I think an a good driver needs.

I did not shoot him down personally when I conversed with him on the matter. I was very careful to keep him on the path rather and had offered to have some drives with him. I also mentioned how well he had done to get where he was and how much better he is than when I was his age.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:47 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I did not shoot him down personally when I conversed with him on the matter. I was very careful to keep him on the path rather and had offered to have some drives with him. I also mentioned how well he had done to get where he was and how much better he is than when I was his age.

I hope he was suitably honoured. Has he taken you up on your kind offer? :P

OI, DT! Less of the onanist remarks, if you please :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum