Accident at roundabout

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby playtent » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Tell your insurance just to be safe. You don't have to make a claim.
playtent

Postby morsing » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:35 pm

Custom24 wrote:
Your accident history is affected now, regardless. The only thing you could do is lie when they ask the question "Any claims, accidents of losses regardless of blame". Even if the incident was settled entirely in your favour, you'd still have to tell them about the accident when it came to renewal time, and it would still affect the premium (maybe only slightly in the case of a non-fault accident).

That's not really true. I've asked several different insurers about "accident history" and they've all said "We don't care unless it was your fault". None of the ones I've used have ever said "...regardless of blame".

To the OP - I was recently sent a court transcript by my insurance company from a case called "Grace vs. Tanner" which was pretty much identical to your scenario. That ended, after an appeal, with a 50-50. Might be worth referencing as a 50-50 will still be cheaper than taking the full blame.

If you want I can send you a scan of the court case. Indicating is on your side but without any named witnesses it probably won't help you much.
morsing

Postby vonhosen » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

morsing wrote:
Custom24 wrote:
Your accident history is affected now, regardless. The only thing you could do is lie when they ask the question "Any claims, accidents of losses regardless of blame". Even if the incident was settled entirely in your favour, you'd still have to tell them about the accident when it came to renewal time, and it would still affect the premium (maybe only slightly in the case of a non-fault accident).

That's not really true. I've asked several different insurers about "accident history" and they've all said "We don't care unless it was your fault". None of the ones I've used have ever said "...regardless of blame".

To the OP - I was recently sent a court transcript by my insurance company from a case called "Grace vs. Tanner" which was pretty much identical to your scenario. That ended, after an appeal, with a 50-50. Might be worth referencing as a 50-50 will still be cheaper than taking the full blame.

If you want I can send you a scan of the court case. Indicating is on your side but without any named witnesses it probably won't help you much.

It's here
http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cg ... method=all
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby devonutopia » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:58 am

In hindsight, it sounds like you should have been behind the van around there? I think the right hand lane on approach to the roundabout was the correct lane for the exit the van driver wanted to take, and the one you wanted to take (but didn't know it at the time?) You didn't know you'd be going right around the roundabout before you got there? Was that down to just not knowing the area / having no sat-nav?

This is just my gut instinct talking and I don't know any real facts at all. :)
Jason - RoSPA advanced driver training about to start!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELWqeeXvAAs 275bhp dyno run video of my car. 300 is in reach!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R5c496IG1Q Skoda Fabia 2260vk in-car acceleration video!
devonutopia

Postby redrobo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:05 pm

Van driver at fault, you were in the correct position for the entry slip, the van driver was in the wrong lane for the entry slip. It makes no difference that you may have started in the wrong lane or the fact you were unsure of the lane you needed.
Did you see the van prior to impact? Were there two lanes on the entry slip?
redrobo

Postby Gareth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:06 pm

redrobo wrote:Were there two lanes on the entry slip?

Using the link to Google Maps I provided earlier and then the Satellite view, it can be seen that the road leading to the roundabout has only one lane but it widens immediateley before the roundabout, allowing two car sized vehicles to enter simultaneously.

Leading up to the roundabout there is a large direction sign.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby morsing » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 pm

redrobo wrote:Van driver at fault, you were in the correct position for the entry slip, the van driver was in the wrong lane for the entry slip. It makes no difference that you may have started in the wrong lane or the fact you were unsure of the lane you needed.

Please read the case Grace vs. Tanner.

The only difference I can see, which is a significant one, is that although the exit road has two marked lanes, the roundabout doesn't! That was one of the reasons for not entirely blame the outside laner in that case. I'd say based on that the OP might stand an slightly better chance but probably still going to be 50-50.
morsing

Postby zadocbrown » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Looks like a textbook illustration of how in so many cases any of the parties involved could have avoided the incident. Always allow for the 'other idiot'.
zadocbrown

Postby MGF » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:08 am

morsing wrote:
redrobo wrote:Van driver at fault, you were in the correct position for the entry slip, the van driver was in the wrong lane for the entry slip. It makes no difference that you may have started in the wrong lane or the fact you were unsure of the lane you needed.

Please read the case Grace vs. Tanner.

The only difference I can see, which is a significant one, is that although the exit road has two marked lanes, the roundabout doesn't! That was one of the reasons for not entirely blame the outside laner in that case. I'd say based on that the OP might stand an slightly better chance but probably still going to be 50-50.

I would also distinguish G v T from this case on the basis that in the former the claimant was leaving the rab at the same time as the defendant drove across the exit and in the OP's case, it appears the van driver was moving from offside to nearside of the RAB (effectively changing lanes) prior to exiting.
MGF

Postby 7db » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 am

Once again, Dave's RAB maxim no.1 applies: never go round with anyone else.
7db

Postby Gareth » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:35 am

I like how you've added to the discussion ;)
Last edited by Gareth on Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 pm

I was in awe of your identification of the RAB in question. It was the least I could do.

My advice:-

1) Tell your insurer immediately. You have a contract of utmost good faith. They can tell you they want to ignore it if they want to ignore it.

2) Don't go round with anyone else.
7db

Postby Custom24 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 pm

morsing wrote:That's not really true. I've asked several different insurers about "accident history" and they've all said "We don't care unless it was your fault". None of the ones I've used have ever said "...regardless of blame".

That's peculiar. I presume you mean they said "We don't care unless it was at least partially your fault". I've never had an insurance company say that - they've always phrased the question pretty much as I put it, including "regardless of blame", which is at least clear, if nothing else.

Even so, I can imagine some people getting themselves into bother with insurance over the phrase "Your fault". Most people if they came out in the morning to find their car keyed, window smashed, dented, etc, wouldn't think it was their "fault" it had happened, but from an insurance point of view, it still counts as a fault claim, because there is no one else to claim damages from. So I can imagine them not thinking they had to mention it when they were shopping around at renewal time. I can also imagine other bull-headed people (and I don't mean you or anyone else on this forum, morsing) thinking that since that driver should have been indicating, it wasn't their "fault" and again fail to mention it when asked.

It's important to listen/read the question properly, when it is asked.
Custom24

Postby jcochrane » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm

I've found it hard to accept that an insurance company can decide that it is "my fault" that the other party has no insurance.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Custom24 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:12 pm

jcochrane wrote:I've found it hard to accept that an insurance company can decide that it is "my fault" that the other party has no insurance.

A good example. Direct Line have been advertising for some time on this topic, suggesting that they treat instances where you are hit by an uninsured driver differently than other insurance companies. I've not bothered to look into if there is much substantial difference, or what other insurance companies' policies are on this matter.
Custom24

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum