Do alternators fail when replacing the battery...??

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby JConnors » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:58 am

UPDATE

RAC still have not got back in contact with us yet. We have not had our old battery returned back to us (someone did ask somewhere in another posting) but will ask for it back.

Looking to contact the OFT and Watchdog today....day off work so I will be busy dealing with this mess!!

Car STILL off the road due to the RAC!!!
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:51 am

JConnors wrote:Car STILL off the road due to the RAC!!!

It won't be cheaper but it may be hugely more convenient if you just get the alternator replaced. Some motorists can do it themselves which can make it cheaper, as an exchange alternator can often be obtained from a motor factors for substantially less than a garage may charge for the part.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby JConnors » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Gareth wrote:
JConnors wrote:Car STILL off the road due to the RAC!!!

It won't be cheaper but it may be hugely more convenient if you just get the alternator replaced. Some motorists can do it themselves which can make it cheaper, as an exchange alternator can often be obtained from a motor factors for substantially less than a garage may charge for the part.

Fortunately, I am luckily in that I can travel about the place using other modes of transport. Anyway, the RAC have to fix the issues that they caused, so why should I be out of pocket waiting for them to resolve this nightmare they have caused.

This matter also goes to show that not only do they have patrol men that can't deal with the problem at the roadside, it also shows that their customer service team come up with wonderful excuses to cover up their poor patrol men and their lack of customer care/support services in the aftermath of a cock up by them. The longer this goes on the more egg get put on their face and the bigger the 'fix' will be to ensure the we are a happy customer. Hopefully with us going through this mess the RAC will look at the issues here and never put anyone else through this experience.
Jamie
JConnors

Postby JConnors » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:38 pm

UPDATE

After chasing them up on the phone the person at the RAC dealing with our complaint has finally spoken to me. She stated that she had recieved my e-mail message and had re-opened the case (who said it could be closed??). I now have to wait for them to contact my recovery service (Mondial) and then they will get back to me with their decision. This will take 7-10 days....was miffed at this as they have had the complaint since the 4th Oct, what they been doing with it...sitting on their hands by the looks of things.
Jamie
JConnors

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:33 am

The RAC must explain their assertion their assertion that replacing an alternator can cause battery failure. How, exactly? Invite them to do so in the Small Claims division of the County Court.
Badger

Postby Porker » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:26 pm

I do wonder if this has got a bit out of hand.

The RAC is essentially a roadside assistance / get you home service, not a substitute for a garage.

It seems fairly likely that they misdiagnosed the battery as being at fault rather than the alternator but their liability is surely only to refund the cost of the battery rather than anything more.

Nick
Porker

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum