New government guide lines for financial write-off??

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby morsing » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:32 am

Well, insurerer has decided to wrire off the car, £575 checque on it way. I've started ordering parts... I think their initial stern letter was to try to persuade people to give up their car but as soon as we asked to keep the car over the phone, they were fine with it.

Just had an interesting call from the insurer though; first of all, "Protected no claims bonus" doesn't mean the premium won't go up after an incident.

Second part was more funny though, as the other party claims to be "injured" in this 4mph crash that scratched his bumper! Hilarious. What are the consequences of putting in a false claim like that? Not much I assume...
morsing

Postby Gareth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:49 am

morsing wrote:"Protected no claims bonus" doesn't mean the premium won't go up after an incident.

The protected no claims bonus is a guarantee that the discount for 'good behaviour' won't be impacted in a defined and restricted set of circumstances. The underlying risk can be reassessed and that alone may result in an increased premium.

morsing wrote:Second part was more funny though, as the other party claims to be "injured" in this 4mph crash that scratched his bumper! Hilarious. What are the consequences of putting in a false claim like that? Not much I assume...

Part of me wishes there was a way to ensure that personal injury claimants actually had the injuries they've claimed ...
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby MGF » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Medical evidence is needed for a PI claim. Problem with whiplash is it can be caused by shunts at low speed and is diagnosed by symptoms reported to the DR more than by tests conducted.

Someone drove into the back of me last year whilst I was sat at some lights. Lancaster, my brokers must have passed my mobile number around because I received around half a dozen calls from different companies asking me if needed to claim for injuries. No one actually said I should put in a false claim but I was made to think very carefully whether or not I had any discomfort after the accident.
MGF

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:52 pm

MGF wrote:No one actually said I should put in a false claim but I was made to think very carefully whether or not I had any discomfort after the accident.

When I was a witness to a collision last year one of the insurers involved must have shared my details without my consent (they both deny it, as do the police but one of the 3 must have given them out), I got several calls from these outfits, even though I had no direct involvement in the incident.

A neighbour of mine used one to claim against the local council. 12 months later having got nowhere, I got in touch with the council's insurers to discover that they were simply waiting for the claims company to submit a doctors certificate. The claims company had been sitting on it for 9 months, all the time telling my neighbour that the council were using delaying tactics. She got her claim paid a week later after a copy of the certificate was produced. Ironically the insurers had already decided to pay up (subject to the medical certificate) before the claims company got involved.

Said claims company then threatened to pursue us for their "costs". I explained to them what I do and who I work for - suddenly they lost interest and decided to leave her alone.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby morsing » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:59 pm

michael769 wrote:
I explained to them what I do and who I work for - suddenly they lost interest and decided to leave her alone.

What do you do and who do you work for?
morsing

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 pm

morsing wrote:
michael769 wrote:
I explained to them what I do and who I work for - suddenly they lost interest and decided to leave her alone.

What do you do and who do you work for?

I work for a company that among other things supplies investigative and legal services to insurers. I guess they decided they did not want to end up paying our wages for a couple of weeks. :D

Well more likely they realised that the threat of court did not particularly impress me, and they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on....
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum