At what tread depth to replace tyres?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ExadiNigel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I make it about 21/22%
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby GJD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:50 pm

adiNigel wrote:I make it about 21/22%

Depends which way round you do the sums. Someone who is used to replacing their tyres at 1.6mm then changes strategy and starts replacing them at 3mm instead would see a 28% cost increase. Someone doing the opposite - initially replacing at 3mm then changing strategy to start replacing at 1.6mm would see a 21.875% cost saving. That's the beauty of percentages :) .

I think the first way round is more representative of the discussion in the thread.

All still depends on my simplifying assumption of constant wear rate.
GJD

Postby jont » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:02 pm

GJD wrote:I think the first way round is more representative of the discussion in the thread.

I always worked it out that a set of new tyres was less than my insurance excess...
jont

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:51 pm

GJD wrote:
adiNigel wrote:I make it about 21/22%

Depends which way round you do the sums. Someone who is used to replacing their tyres at 1.6mm then changes strategy and starts replacing them at 3mm instead would see a 28% cost increase. Someone doing the opposite - initially replacing at 3mm then changing strategy to start replacing at 1.6mm would see a 21.875% cost saving. That's the beauty of percentages :) .

I think the first way round is more representative of the discussion in the thread.

FWIW I would expect the wear rate to be greatest when the tyres are new, due to the increased flexing of the deeper tread blocks. This will concentrate the load and increase the abrasion on the edges of the tread blocks When the tread depth is more shallow they'll be likely to stay flat on the road surface. Well that's how I see it: all muddled thinking as usual. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:52 pm

jont wrote:I always worked it out that a set of new tyres was less than my insurance excess...

That must be an impressive excess (or cheap tyres) :D

Personally, I tend to run my tyres down to the legal limt before changing them...

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:01 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
jont wrote:I always worked it out that a set of new tyres was less than my insurance excess...

Personally, I tend to run my tyres down to the legal limt before changing them...

Chris

Some folk might criticise you for doing that, but I wouldn't. I do the same; and I don't feel there's anything wrong with it, so long as we maintain awareness that there will be reduced grip in wet conditions, and we make the appropriate adjustments to driving style. OTOH we get better grip when it's dry, er, I think.... 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jont » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:02 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:

£350 excess, £250 for a set of tyres (or at least was in January when I last changed them).
jont

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:55 pm

So why is there not a more vocal campaign to increase the permitted minimum tread depth to be increased? How have the authorities decided to impose a requirement for ESP systems, but not to increase the minimum tread depth to 3 mm?
waremark

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:56 pm

waremark wrote:So why is there not a more vocal campaign to increase the permitted minimum tread depth to be increased? How have the authorities decided to impose a requirement for ESP systems, but not to increase the minimum tread depth to 3 mm?

PS Personally, my ideal is to do a track or handling day once the tyres get to 3mm, and to get value out of the rest of the tread that way.
waremark

Postby GJD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:29 pm

jont wrote:£350 excess, £250 for a set of tyres (or at least was in January when I last changed them).

Is that for all four or just a pair?

I guess you probably have quite little wheels on your roller skate, so that must help :) .
GJD

Postby jont » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:11 pm

GJD wrote:
jont wrote:£350 excess, £250 for a set of tyres (or at least was in January when I last changed them).

Is that for all four or just a pair?
I guess you probably have quite little wheels on your roller skate, so that must help :) .

All 4. These days they certainly count as little at 15"f,16"r. £45/corner for fronts, £80 for the rears IIRC.
jont

Postby fungus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:11 pm

GJD wrote:
adiNigel wrote:The difference in tyre cost between replacement at 1.6mm vs 3mm is not a great deal if I remember correctly.

Really? Assuming that a new tyre has 8mm of tread, and that the wear rate (as in mm of tread lost per mile travelled) is constant, then I make changing tyres at 3mm rather than 1.6mm to be a 28% cost increase - which I'd regard as quite a lot.

I think the first assumption is valid, if not a little conservative - 8mm is about the maximum I've measured for the tread depth of a new tyre. The second assumption may be open to challenge though.

What price do you place on safety?
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:16 pm

fungus wrote:What price do you place on safety?

Think of the children!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:40 pm

fungus wrote:What price do you place on safety?

This site makes interesting reading http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/tyre_tread_depth.pdf, especially on the 2nd page where it shows the graph. Even 1 mm of tread worn away on a new tyre increases the stopping distance on smooth concrete significantly - perhaps we should all change our tyres a lot earlier than 3mm?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:12 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Even 1 mm of tread worn away on a new tyre increases the stopping distance on smooth concrete significantly - perhaps we should all change our tyres a lot earlier than 3mm?

Or perhaps we shouldn't be using concrete for road surfaces?
jont

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum