Just picked up my AutoSock

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:40 am

I had the embaressment earlier in the year of having to roll back down a small hill coming out of the estate because of lack of traction. :oops:

I had just emerged from a side road into the main road through the estate, which runs for about 50yds from this junction to the point where it meets the main road through the village. At the end of this road was a van which was still moving as it approached the end of the road. The main road was clear of traffic and it looked as if the van could keep going. What happened I don't know, but as I emerged and started climbing the small hill the van stopped and I could see that its rear wheels were spinning. I kept creeping, but had to slow too much. When I tried to get going again I could get no traction, and had to resort to rolling back down the hill and onto the flat, waiting for the road ahead to completely clear before driving up to the junction with the main road.

Poor planning I suppose. :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby moncainthewilds » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:51 pm

I was speaking to a German who is living and working pver here, and he puts winter tyres on from November to March. He said you can get 2nd hand ones from a web site or Ebay in Germany as when people sell their cars they do not always sell the winter tyres as they do not get their money back. He paid 150 Euros for winter Tyres for his Mercedes which also included shipping. This is the third year of use. He will get more next year. Worth some investigation?

Monica :D
moncainthewilds

Postby faboka » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm

I'll look into that. Thanks
John
faboka

Postby Gareth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 am

I understand that winter tyres need at least 4 mm of tread to be effective as winter tyres.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby faboka » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks for the tip Gareth. Will keep that in mind if I starting looking for a used set.
John
faboka

Postby faboka » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:22 am

Today was the biggest test of it all. Started off like normal. Used them to get out the street, pulled them off and off we went down the main roads and motorway. Then we got to the half way point, so 10 miles ish left of A/B roads. Nicci was struggling in first gear then it got to a point were she just said put them she wants grip. So she pulled over and I jumped out. 2 minutes later and she was happy. Completely transformed she just had to keep the rear end in line now .

Took us 80 minutes to get to work instead of 30 minutes. Thought that was long but everyone else was taking 2 hours +. The trip was showing -16 and the fog made it really interesting. If we didn't have them we probably wouldn't of made it or if we did it would of taken ALOT longer.
John
faboka

Postby martine » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Might interest some people here... a press release from the IAM about Winter Tyres:

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/wintertyrestyresomeoranentyrelygoodidea.html
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby faboka » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Update. They now have a few holes in them :(

Yesterday during the daily pit stops we noticed they are starting to show very small signs of wear. The material underneath starting to show through. Nothing to worry about yet.

Then came the towing of my dads XF out our street :D Its been stuck since sunday. So Jag's tyres pressures increased 0.2 bar over normal as recommended in the handbook and traction control reduced. Tow rope on. Started off fine then it got a little tricky. Had to turn off the traction control from the Fabia to help pull us both along and onto the main road. They I noticed 1 had come off. :( Closer inspection showed both not had a few more holes than originally designed but guess what. They still work like a dream :mrgreen:

Jag's booked in for 2 Pirelli Sottozero's for the rear tomorrow. Not the ideal set of 4 but hopefully will help on the traction front.
John
faboka

Postby faboka » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:07 pm

martine wrote:Might interest some people here... a press release from the IAM about Winter Tyres:

http://www.iam.org.uk/latest_news/wintertyrestyresomeoranentyrelygoodidea.html

Thanks. Intersting that the socks got a mention.
John
faboka

Postby Gareth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:30 pm

martine wrote:a press release from the IAM about Winter Tyres

On the whole quite good. I sent an email to the IAM press office to discuss a small number of points though.
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Managed to get stuck today even with Winter tyres, at the bottom of a snowy slope which I should have known better than to go down when I had to go up it again. Autosocks were amazing. The first time I've used them since I've bought them. Easy to put on, and the car just started going up the hill.
Custom24

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Gareth wrote:
martine wrote:a press release from the IAM about Winter Tyres

On the whole quite good. I sent an email to the IAM press office to discuss a small number of points though.

It would be interesting to know what those points are, and what responses they produce.

Did you ask what is the nature of the corrosion to which snowsocks are said to be prone? Rapid wear is to be expected on a hard surface that is free from ice or snow, but corrosion?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jcochrane » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:31 pm

faboka wrote:Update. They now have a few holes in them :(

Yesterday during the daily pit stops we noticed they are starting to show very small signs of wear. The material underneath starting to show through. Nothing to worry about yet.

Then came the towing of my dads XF out our street :D Its been stuck since sunday. So Jag's tyres pressures increased 0.2 bar over normal as recommended in the handbook and traction control reduced. Tow rope on. Started off fine then it got a little tricky. Had to turn off the traction control from the Fabia to help pull us both along and onto the main road. They I noticed 1 had come off. :( Closer inspection showed both not had a few more holes than originally designed but guess what. They still work like a dream :mrgreen:

Jag's booked in for 2 Pirelli Sottozero's for the rear tomorrow. Not the ideal set of 4 but hopefully will help on the traction front.

I'm very surprised your autosocks are showing signs of wear. The set I have are now into their third year. The instructions do need to be followed to the letter though. Take them off immediately once off the snow, if they come into contact with any tarmac at all they will wear very rapidly. Keep speed down to under 30 mph and don't let the wheels spin. Having a deisel engined car makes it easy for me to ascend the steep hills where I live. I engage 1st gear and keep my foot well clear of the accelerator as well as disengaging the ESP programme. I try and think of them as a last resoursce "get you out of jail" when all else fails and you can move no further.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 pm

I took issue with what they said was the cost of steel wheels, presenting my own experience. I explained about using a wheel and tyre combination that permitted use of snow chains while at the same time saving money on both the wheels and the tyres. I suggested they'd put a negative spin on the use of all season tyres that in our experience is unwarranted, and suggested that all season tyres might better suit the majority of UK drivers. I pointed to the limitations of snow chains and snow tyres, how they are a 'get out of trouble' solution. Finally I discussed the applicability of winter tyres with regard to the UK climate, as I thought they'd majored on extreme circumstances while I think they're suitable for normal circumstances.

TripleS wrote:corrosion?

I imagine they will rot if they are left damp for extended periods.
Gareth

Postby faboka » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:13 pm

jcochrane wrote:Take them off immediately once off the snow, if they come into contact with any tarmac at all they will wear very rapidly.

I know and I also know where they got their wear from. A long b road which had tyre tracks cleared. Tried to avoid the tarmac and drive on the snow. The main issue was the road around Southport, Magull have not been treated at all. So out of a 12 miles journey only about 1 mile you could see tarmac. The snow is now compacted so no need for the socks. Can even get on my drive without them now. It was only VERY small signs of wear. It was the towing my dads car out that did the most damage as I had to wheelspin. Like a say they still have LOADS of life left in them.
John
faboka

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum