Sat Nav for a technophobe.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:00 pm

waremark wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:
daz6215 wrote:Glad that max speed is in K/ph Chris!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Indeed - the max speed recorded on mine is quite a bit higher ;) Around 450mph :lol:

Chris

That was rather a slow aeroplane?? When I had a Garmin, I also switched it on in an aeroplane.

Yes it was just a domestic flight on a Bombardier Q400-8. Forgot to pack it last time we went on a longer flight :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:01 pm

TripleS wrote:Oh, so that's the explanation. I thought Chris must be another Pug 406 owner. 8)

Alas no, that was what we were trying to keep pace with :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby fungus » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:16 pm

adiNigel wrote:Have you bought a new Fiesta or used? If new, Ford should be providing something as part of the ADI package together with free duals.

I bought a 15 month old Fiesta with 3600 on the clock, so any extras were paid for by me, but the dealer provided a new alloy & tyre as the car only had a repair kit.

And yes you are correct you develope an uncanny knack of knowing when the car is travelling above the speed limit. An examiner commented last week that he wondered if the speedometer was under reading as he felt that my pupil was exceeding 30mph, but when he checked my pupil was bang on 30. He just thought that it felt a little fast, although I hadn't thought so myself.

ScoobyChris wrote:
fungus wrote:Incidently, I notice there are several sat navs in the Nuvi range. Would they all display the vehicles speed? I noticed on the Garmin web site no mention of speed display, only the speed limit, and a warning if you are exceeding it.

You'd probably need to investigate for your specific model, but as an example, my 765 shows something like this:

The downside is you can't display the speed and the navigation at the same time.

Chris

Thanks for the pictures, that looks usefull.

gfoot wrote:I guess a technophobe wouldn't have a smartphone but in case you do there's a whole range of apps on Android marketplace designed to show your speed, according to the GPS in the phone. It will also do navigation if you have a mobile signal (big caveat!). If you don't see yourself as a serious satnav user a smartphone might be a good versatile alternative.

Smartphone. I have enough trouble with a conventional mobile, let alone anything that's smart :lol:
I think most of my problems arise from a previous lack of interest in anything more complicated than an abacus :lol: or if you listened to the kids you'd think so.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:45 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
TripleS wrote:Oh, so that's the explanation. I thought Chris must be another Pug 406 owner. 8)

Alas no, that was what we were trying to keep pace with :lol:

Chris

Pah, no chance. :P

Actually, it's nearer the truth to say you'd probably manage it on your pushbike. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave - a part time sheep in wolf's clothing. :lol:
TripleS

Postby fungus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. I bought a Garmin 1410 from Halfords yesterday. Seems easy to use. It displays vehicle speed whilst navigating. It also speaks the road names which is usefull.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum