Stop-start system

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby PeterE » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:11 pm

This morning in snowy conditions it turned itself on again when it presumably decided it had been waiting for too long at a set of traffic lights. Which I suppose proves it works, really.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby martine » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:26 pm

PeterE wrote:This morning in snowy conditions it turned itself on again when it presumably decided it had been waiting for too long at a set of traffic lights. Which I suppose proves it works, really.

Interesting. Doesn't feel right it can decide to start the engine without you doing anything...I guess it's safe enough though.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:44 pm

martine wrote:
PeterE wrote:This morning in snowy conditions it turned itself on again when it presumably decided it had been waiting for too long at a set of traffic lights. Which I suppose proves it works, really.

Interesting. Doesn't feel right it can decide to start the engine without you doing anything...I guess it's safe enough though.

Suppose you stop the car briefly and get out to fiddle with something under the bonnet, e.g. top up the screenwasher container, or carry out some similar task. In view of what Peter said, is there anything to prevent the engine from deciding to start automatically, possibly catching a hand that may have strayed into a danger zone? Is the stop/start system disabled when the bonnet is open?

Best wishes all,
Dave - still a bit suspicious of some of these 'clever' functions on modern cars.
TripleS

Postby crr003 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:26 pm

TripleS wrote:Suppose you stop the car briefly and get out to fiddle with something under the bonnet, e.g. top up the screenwasher container, or carry out some similar task. In view of what Peter said, is there anything to prevent the engine from deciding to start automatically, possibly catching a hand that may have strayed into a danger zone? Is the stop/start system disabled when the bonnet is open?

Do you get a key with it? I'd probably use that.
crr003

Postby PeterE » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:20 pm

TripleS wrote:Suppose you stop the car briefly and get out to fiddle with something under the bonnet, e.g. top up the screenwasher container, or carry out some similar task. In view of what Peter said, is there anything to prevent the engine from deciding to start automatically, possibly catching a hand that may have strayed into a danger zone? Is the stop/start system disabled when the bonnet is open?

I think it only works either way if the gearbox is in neutral, the clutch released, the doors shut, the handbrake on and the driver's seatbelt fastened, so the very fact of getting out would disable it.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Renny » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:40 am

TripleS wrote: Suppose you stop the car briefly and get out to fiddle with something under the bonnet, e.g. top up the screenwasher container, or carry out some similar task. In view of what Peter said, is there anything to prevent the engine from deciding to start automatically, possibly catching a hand that may have strayed into a danger zone? Is the stop/start system disabled when the bonnet is open?

Best wishes all,
Dave - still a bit suspicious of some of these 'clever' functions on modern cars.

My understanding (and limited experience of stop-start) is that it will restart when you press the clutch pedal to re-engage gear. Good practice when working under the bonnet (or anywhere else under the car) is to pocket the keys.

I also thought the BMW needed the park brake to be applied before it stopped the engine. I have a 118d on order and I'm sure the one I tested stopped once I'd applied the brake and lifted the clutch in neutral.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby jont » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:03 am

Renny wrote:
TripleS wrote: Suppose you stop the car briefly and get out to fiddle with something under the bonnet, e.g. top up the screenwasher container, or carry out some similar task. In view of what Peter said, is there anything to prevent the engine from deciding to start automatically, possibly catching a hand that may have strayed into a danger zone? Is the stop/start system disabled when the bonnet is open?

Best wishes all,

My understanding (and limited experience of stop-start) is that it will restart when you press the clutch pedal to re-engage gear. Good practice when working under the bonnet (or anywhere else under the car) is to pocket the keys.

I also thought the BMW needed the park brake to be applied before it stopped the engine. I have a 118d on order and I'm sure the one I tested stopped once I'd applied the brake and lifted the clutch in neutral.

I think Dave's concern is that it appears to have stopped, you go and have a poke only for it to decide the battery level is too low and it restarts while your hand is near a moving part.

I'm not sure how pocketing the key works when many new cars work with proximity keys and a stop/start button - and in fact on another forum where de-icing cars was being discussed, some of the BMW owners said that you could remove the key and then press "start" within 30s the engine would restart (allowing you to get out and walk away, locking the car so you can leave the engine running to de-ice things without having to leave a key in the ignition)
jont

Postby GJD » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

crr003 wrote:Do you get a key with it? I'd probably use that.

Or a handbook. The answer's probably in there.
GJD

Postby martine » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:11 pm

jont wrote:...within 30s the engine would restart (allowing you to get out and walk away, locking the car so you can leave the engine running to de-ice things without having to leave a key in the ignition)

Isn't it illegal to leave a car with the engine runnning?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:29 pm

martine wrote:
jont wrote:...within 30s the engine would restart (allowing you to get out and walk away, locking the car so you can leave the engine running to de-ice things without having to leave a key in the ignition)

You mean just like speeding or using a hand-help mobile? :roll:
jont

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:58 pm

crr003 wrote:

Do you get a key with it? I'd probably use that.

I think some of the newer cars don't even have a key. I encountered a Renault a few years ago that had a card of some sort, and I can't remember to what extent that worked exactly like a key, but I don't think it did.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:01 pm

martine wrote:

Apperntly not, if you're a police officer. TrafPol do it all the time......and leave their damned headlights blazing away down the road - often to no useful purpose. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:28 pm

PeterE wrote:

I think it only works either way if the gearbox is in neutral, the clutch released, the doors shut, the handbrake on and the driver's seatbelt fastened, so the very fact of getting out would disable it.

OK, that sounds like it might have a good few situations covered, but consider this hypothetical scenario:

Eileen goes to start a journey in the brand new car (that we're not going to have!) but only drives round the block, before coming back to tell me that the screenwasher bottle needs topping up. I'm still outside by the garage poking about with something, so I tell her to stay in the car while I deal with it. It's a cold morning in winter and I have to look after the old girl. :)

Therefore, no car doors are opened, she is still in the car with seat belt fastened, car is in neutral, no feet are on any pedals, and the engine is running or stopped according to what this clever system decides is appropriate. It might initially be stopped but then it decides it ought to restart, maybe because it has only recently been required to perform a cold start, and various other electrical demands are still being made.

What if it restarts while I'm playing about under the bonnet in my dozy dreamworld fashion, and I let a hand stray into a danger zone?

Sorry, and all that, but I am sceptical about some of these new features and i'm asking questions. That's all it is.

I simple wonder if some of these advancements are really worth it when you take full account of the costs and benefits.

BTW, I know the screenwasher ought to have been checked at the outset, but the right things are not always done correctly all the time......by man or machine.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 pm

jont wrote:
martine wrote:

You mean just like speeding or using a hand-help mobile? :roll:

I could sometimes do with with a bit of hand-help. :shock:

<gets out megaphone and bellows: "Eileen!">

Best wishes all,
Dave - I'm not quite past it yet folks.

Sorrry, Jon. ;)
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:35 pm

My understanding is that the car will only restart when the clutch pedal is pressed and it's in gear (so if the engine is restarting while you're topping up the washer bottle, you may have bigger problems) :D If it detects that the battery is low prior to the stop, it won't stop the engine and will leave it running.

Of course, all this can be overridden by turning off the stop/start or pushing the master start/stop button (at least that's the theory) :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum