Texting and driving

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Big Err » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:59 am

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Love this thread but heres a thing, why, if you cannot use a phone whilst driving (I never have and never will) does my minibus have a slot for my mobile and even more worrying why is it seemingly just out of reach? :?

It's a form of torture. Have you ever noticed that your mobile rings for what seems like ages when you are trying to ignore it, but only rings for a short time when you're trying to find it to answer it.
:lol:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:59 pm

As I drive the A77 in Ayrshire on a regular basis it never ceases to amaze me the antics some drivers pull, ie, the lorry driver I met with phone in one hand and notepad in the other doing 50mph!
And I agree, why do we see them and the police do not, paperwork issues maybe?
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:36 pm

I seem to remember a case a number of years ago of a woman who stopped at traffic lights, took a swig from a bottle of water and put it down before she prepared to drive off. A police officer was sat next to her at the lights and she was prosecuted presumably for dangerous driving or without due care!!!!
drivingschoolnewbury

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:58 am

drivingschoolnewbury wrote:I seem to remember a case a number of years ago of a woman who stopped at traffic lights, took a swig from a bottle of water and put it down before she prepared to drive off. A police officer was sat next to her at the lights and she was prosecuted presumably for dangerous driving or without due care!!!!

Yes, a complete nonsense. Some people - including a small proportion of police officers - are just not suited to having power over others. Prosecuting that woman probably did more harm than good.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:16 pm

I was invited to speak on radio leicester last week on the subject of mobile phones whilst driving and the penalties for those that were caught

I said this -
The law was ill thought out and should have been - no using a mobile phone whether hands free or not unless the hand/park brake was fully applied

I also said that current penalty was not enough and maybe the crushing of the phone, but removing the sim card first, would make the perosn think twice about doing it again as it would cause a big inconvenience
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jont » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:56 pm

ROG wrote:I also said that current penalty was not enough and maybe the crushing of the phone, but removing the sim card first, would make the perosn think twice about doing it again as it would cause a big inconvenience

:lol: Sounds like my bucket method for the classroom - SWMBO as a teacher has to regularly deal with kids using phones in lessons. I keep suggesting they should be allowed to have a bucket of water at the front of the class. Pupil caught using a phone - goes in the bucket - you can have it back at the end of the lesson :twisted:
jont

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:21 pm

ROG wrote:I was invited to speak on radio leicester last week on the subject of mobile phones whilst driving and the penalties for those that were caught

I said this -
The law was ill thought out and should have been - no using a mobile phone whether hands free or not unless the hand/park brake was fully applied

I also said that current penalty was not enough and maybe the crushing of the phone, but removing the sim card first, would make the perosn think twice about doing it again as it would cause a big inconvenience

Yes well, you could of course consider taking a hard line about it.... :roll:

....but what would you do about the use of hand held communication devices by police drivers and ambulance drivers/paramedics etc.?

You're right about this law being ill thought out, but I'd say the mistakes are not what you think they are.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ROG » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:16 pm

TripleS wrote:....but what would you do about the use of hand held communication devices by police drivers and ambulance drivers/paramedics etc.?

Ensure they had specific training for it
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby brianhaddon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:38 am

ROG wrote:
TripleS wrote:....but what would you do about the use of hand held communication devices by police drivers and ambulance drivers/paramedics etc.?

So if they have training why not Joe Public?

Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:53 am

ROG wrote:

Olden days, single crewed, in one hand a mic, the other hand, the steering wheel.
In pursuit.
Why would anyone, not in the emergency services, need to have any telephonic communications with any other whilst driving?
Simple, phones rings, you pull over and stop in a safe place, then respond.
I have never understood how so many are slave to the phone.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Gareth » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Why would anyone, not in the emergency services, need to have any telephonic communications with any other whilst driving?
Simple, phones rings, you pull over and stop in a safe place, then respond.
I have never understood how so many are slave to the phone.

Presumably you'd also ban the use of CB, ham and PMR radios while driving?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:33 am

brianhaddon wrote:
ROG wrote:

So if they have training why not Joe Public?

Regards
Brian Haddon

Nothing to stop joe public from having the right training but that would probably involve doing the advanced test first so that their driving could be at a certain standard before strating any other training

Me thinks joe public will not go for that
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 am

ROG wrote:I said this -

I think we could extend this to ban all conversation in cars, listening to the radio, giving a commentary, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, we have laws covering careless and dangerous driving - do we really need to be more specific?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
ROG wrote:I said this -

I think we could extend this to ban all conversation in cars, listening to the radio, giving a commentary, etc, etc.

At the end of the day, we have laws covering careless and dangerous driving - do we really need to be more specific?

Chris

I do not hold with the comparison between using a mobile phone and the other forms of distraction you mentioned

Mobile phones are a particular scourge on driving distraction which is why specific laws were brought in

At one time drivers thought that being a bit drunk was ok!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby GJD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:09 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Why would anyone, not in the emergency services, need to have any telephonic communications with any other whilst driving?

What has need got to do with it?
GJD

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum