IAM report

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:18 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:1..Common sense does not seem to be something you can teach

Funny peculiar - I often say that common sense has to be taught!

Think about it; how often does something become obvious only after it has been pointed out?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby exportmanuk » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:19 pm

ROG wrote:
IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:5..There is NO acceptable level of risk...if it is risky you dont do it...simples

following that logic..... do not drive a vehicle as that is a risk :roll:

:lol: and I should be consigned to the loony bin, I ride motorcycles :!: :P
exportmanuk

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Gareth wrote:Funny peculiar - I often say that common sense has to be taught!

Think about it; how often does something become obvious only after it has been pointed out?

It doesn't have to be taught, but it does need to be learnt. And some people need more help than others to learn effectively.
zadocbrown

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:58 pm

Its nice to know that ROG thinks I have logic! but I think I meant taking risks whilst driving,( which surely is not acceptable) not merely taking risks by driving....I think...oh hell, logics all screwed now :? :?

As for bike riders...well, all hope is lost anyway :)
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby lyndon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:14 am

martine wrote:
Just found this from the BRAKE website...no.7 in their 'pledge 2 drive safely' campaign:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7. Slow Down - the most important pledge for all drivers. I pledge to drive below limits, taking particular care at junctions, bends and in bad weather, avoiding overtaking, and slowing to 20mph or below around schools and homes.
:roll:

Putting myself forward for a public burning at the stake here, but here goes.
What parts of this pledge do people have a problem with?

I haven't yet digested the report, and would hesitate to say the Brake are wrong on the basis of the 'headline' summary. If we approach a report with that sort of mindset, are we just trying to use the report to support our prejudices? Is it the old case of 'Don't confuse me with the facts. My mind is made up.'?
lyndon

Postby martine » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:21 am

lyndon wrote:
martine wrote:
Just found this from the BRAKE website...no.7 in their 'pledge 2 drive safely' campaign:
7. Slow Down - the most important pledge for all drivers. I pledge to drive below limits, taking particular care at junctions, bends and in bad weather, avoiding overtaking, and slowing to 20mph or below around schools and homes.
:roll:

Putting myself forward for a public burning at the stake here, but here goes.
What parts of this pledge do people have a problem with?

Errr... well just taking pledge no 7 for a start: "drive below the limits"...."avoiding overtaking"...."slowing to 20mph...around schools and homes" (regardless of time of day, road situation, weather...what classes as 'home"?

It the emphasis on speed...speed...speed I dislike - as if reducing speed limits will be effective :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gareth » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Interesting that they don't think drivers are competent to overtake.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:28 pm

Gareth wrote:Interesting that they don't think drivers are competent to overtake.

I wonder if they extend that to not overtaking pushbikes and tractors. If not, I wonder where/why their line is drawn.
jont

Postby ROG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:44 pm

IVORTHE DRIVER wrote:Its nice to know that ROG thinks I have logic! but I think I meant taking risks whilst driving,( which surely is not acceptable) not merely taking risks by driving....I think...oh hell, logics all screwed now :? :?

As for bike riders...well, all hope is lost anyway :)

It's SAFELY MANAGING THE RISKS whilst driving that is the key - see the book MIND DRIVING
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:43 pm

martine wrote:It the emphasis on speed...speed...speed I dislike - as if reducing speed limits will be effective :roll:

Anybody seen this?

Brake Target-Zero
crr003

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Ignoring the other important issues other than speed, I doubt that reducing speed limits will have a profound effect on those that already break the speed limits (in this instance I'm referring to red ringed limits, not the nsl areas). Unless there is regular enforcement, why do they think the culprits will take any notice?

The number of clear, open, well sighted roads (including some dual carriageways around near me) that have been reduced from 60mph, to 50 or even 40mph makes you wonder if any real thought goes into their imposition. Ultimately, people will simply lose respect for the posted limits. Once they become so low that most people feel they bear little relevance, more people will ignore them. Being on a 40mph DC, and seemingly being the only car sticking to the limit, with dozens flying by me, knowing that they aren't generally travelling too fast for the conditions... makes me wonder why I bother.

My suspicion is that the limits are part of a traffic management system designed to ease the flow of traffic at peak times.
Gromit37

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm

crr003 wrote:
martine wrote:It the emphasis on speed...speed...speed I dislike - as if reducing speed limits will be effective :roll:

Anybody seen this?

Brake Target-Zero

I think I'm going to be sick! Some kind of delusional utopian dream that reminds of the the human race in the film Wall-E. :roll:
Gromit37

Postby jont » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Gromit37 wrote:My suspicion is that the limits are part of a traffic management system designed to ease the flow of traffic at peak times.

Absolutely. I'm certain Bristol follows this approach with 50mph limits along virtually all of the (purpose built, dual carriageway) ring road - and similarly having traffic lights on major roundabouts which are probably necessary for 4 hours a day during the week and the rest of the time cause additional congestion and pollution. I don't understand why part time lights (or overnight flashing amber like in France) are more common.
jont

Postby lyndon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:34 pm

How do you know it won't?
lyndon

Postby TripleS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:32 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
crr003 wrote:

Anybody seen this?

Brake Target-Zero

I think I'm going to be sick! Some kind of delusional utopian dream that reminds of the the human race in the film Wall-E. :roll:

Yes, I've just skimmed through some of it. There is plenty of lunacy to choose from, but what about this:

"Maximum engine capacity is limited to within the maximum speed limit." What the hell does that mean? You can have an engine size not greater than 60 cc to align with a 60 mph speed limit?

They want zero deaths, zero injuries and zero emissions?

The people at Brake are stark staring bonkers.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum