My IAM Trainee Observer "blog"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby David2428 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:57 pm

Very well done mate...great feeling eh!....hopefully see you at the next NELE meet, dont forget to sign in the "members" column.... :D
London Cabbie and Biker......
David2428

Postby Dandu71 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:57 am

Well done JJ, based on your previous emails you had all the makings of an advanced driver. Keep up the good work and enjoy your driving.
LGV C+E
IAM Car
IAM Motorcycle
DIAmond Advanced
DIAmond Special
Dandu71

Postby Lady Godiva » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 pm

Dear JibberJabber - well done. You must be rather pleased with yourself.

Like you, I have recently passed my Advanced Test. I can re-iterate your comments to everyone about just driving to how you normally do. What amazed me on the test was that I only drove for a very short while (approximately 45 minutes), the examiner never asked me about any sign I passed (I kept waiting for it) and she didn't ask me to reverse around a corner (I had practiced them as well!!!).

The comments I picked up in the de-briefing were:

BGOL - needs attention (well there's a surprise!).

Mirrors - try sweeping across. For example, when approaching a NSL from a 30mph, she asked me why I checked the mirrors. The discussion centred on the likely vehicle to overtake, and we agreed on a solo. She pointed out that they come up on the right, and you want to check the mirror containing the most information last, immediatley prior to the move. Therefore it's left wing, rearview mirror, right wing, sweeping across. Coming off a roundabout, the shoulder check can be swept into as right wing, rearview, left wing. I liked this suggestion, as my mirror protocol had been a bit haphazard.

Slip Road onto motorway - could have been in 3rd, rather than 4th, as it would offer a bit more flexibility.

PushPull and seating position - said it was 'very good'.

Commentart - said it was 'very good' but could say a bit more. For example, I mentioned the man walking the dog, and said the dog was secure on a lead. She pointed out that I could have checked to see if it was extendable, and how I was preparing to act and react accordingly.

Indicators - don't sit at the lights with the indicator going for a long time. Consider switching off, then switching back on before the move.

Potholes in the road - try and avoid them!!!

My only concern was that I didn't think I drove that well in the test, but I wished she (the PC1 examiner) could have seen me on the way to, and back from, the test. I was brilliant!!!!

Congratulations again. Sorry for highjacking your thread, but more of these would have helped me prior to mine.

P.S. wind your window down when reversong, so you can hear if anyone calls out.
Lady Godiva

Postby Nigel » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:43 pm

Congratulations to you as well.

Just to demonstrate that there aren't any "Correct" answers, I dissagree with the statement regarding your indicators, I'd suggest leaving them on is what non advanced drivers, along with pedestrians and cyclists would expect to happen, if the indicators were cancelled, they may think you've changed your mind, and plan their own movements differently.

No point in being super smart with this advanced stuff, once we confuse another roaduser, we have lost most of the benefit of having done the training.
Nigel

Postby martine » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:57 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:Indicators - don't sit at the lights with the indicator going for a long time. Consider switching off, then switching back on before the move.

What's the benefit in switching off and back on again?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby JamesH » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:48 pm

If you're at lights that look like they may be a long phase, or they go red as you approach, you know you're going to be there on a long stop. Having the indicators going all the time can get annoying to you, becuase of the clicking sound, and to the person behind who has to put up with the flashing orange.
JamesH

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:40 am

JamesH wrote:If you're at lights that look like they may be a long phase, or they go red as you approach, you know you're going to be there on a long stop. Having the indicators going all the time can get annoying to you, becuase of the clicking sound, and to the person behind who has to put up with the flashing orange.

Its only an opinion, and rather like botties, we all have them, but I can never understand this being bothered by lights, brake lights, or indicators.

They are only 21 watts !
Nigel

Postby waremark » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:39 am

This technique - cancelling the indicator once affected road users have had an opportuntiy to take in your intentions, and putting it out again before you start to move - was suggested to me during an outstanding IAM Special Assessment debrief from Trevor Dickenson. I now use it - just one more opportunity to get satisfaction from dirivng in the most thoughtful way possible.
waremark

Postby brianhaddon » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 pm

I go along with the concept of cancelling the indicators in the circumstances mentioned. A common situation I can think of is when last in a line turning right I will leave the indicator on until a vehicle appears behind. Once it has settled and I am confident the lights are not changing for a while I will cancel my signal. I will re-start when I see the greens starting to go red so others have time to digest the signal again.
Brian
brianhaddon

Postby AdamW » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:29 pm

Well done mate. :D
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby madmoggy » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:34 pm

Well done Jabber, very well deserved
madmoggy

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:58 pm

I now have my certificate. Thanks very much for your support. I've now got my membership number too. YAY!

Observer time coming soon! :D
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby OneDragons » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:02 pm

Ill add my bit here too. Passed mine today :D 8)

Feedback was generally good, just smooth the gear changes out a bit and relax.
Other than that I was told not to use the indicator on the motorway to create an opening (did this once when it got really heavy), only to use it if one is there you are going to take.
Not to change to 2nd approaching a roundabout if you are going to stop anyway (fair enough, I changed down incase I could roll through). Lastly I didnt use my horn once when I could off (a lady standing by her car, I slowed and gave her room but wasnt sure if she actually saw me.
Oh and I didnt complete an overtake, I made one attempt and aborted after vision dropped, which he said was correct, but I should of remained close and attempted again further along rather than dropping back.

He said all the elements were there for a really good drive, if I chilled out that would smooth my controls out and all would be well.

Im quite happy about it anyway :D
OneDragons

Postby PeteG » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:00 pm

Congratulations. :D

Guess I'm up next, got my Roadar test date through an hour ago... one week today. :)
PeteG

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Well done 1D :)
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum