Got a senior grade...must get commentary better

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Nigel » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:27 pm

No it was Mike Lovelock, nice chap, retired met officer
Nigel

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:51 am

Ooh, commentary, I did none whatsoever on my IAM test, well just a tiny bit, but hardly anything. I don't know what I'll do now because at some point I'll have to commentate. I hate commentating, I feel like a twit also (as someone else was stating). I will have to get over this though...
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:50 am

Interestingly when I went to start my IAM test comentary was not optional. I did say before the test that commentary does degrade my driving and I also said that I may stop if I think my driving is affected. The response was "don't cut out for long so that I have to ask you to resume". The impression I get from my local group iis that you must do a commentary, for this reason I don't think I can do IAM. I can maintaiin a commentary for about 20 minutes before problems begin, Idealy If I only go for 15 I can maintain my drive as if I do let it run down the only thing I can do to recover my driving is stop for a few minutes then continue driving without comentary.

As far as I know comentary is required by all advanced driving tests? which means I'm not advanced driver material.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:54 am

jibberjabber25 wrote:Ooh, commentary, I did none whatsoever on my IAM test, well just a tiny bit, but hardly anything. I don't know what I'll do now because at some point I'll have to commentate. I hate commentating, I feel like a twit also (as someone else was stating). I will have to get over this though...

Hello JJ.

The only bit of commentary I tried was while I was on my own doing a bit of motorway driving, as that seemed a simple environment in which to try it.

I also feel very self conscious about tryng it when anybody is with me, but maybe the thing to do is just start by making a few casual observations and just thinking aloud as you're driving and build it up from there. HTH.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby crr003 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:58 am

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:The impression I get from my local group iis that you must do a commentary, for this reason I don't think I can do IAM. I can maintaiin a commentary for about 20 minutes before problems begin, Idealy If I only go for 15 I can maintain my drive as if I do let it run down the only thing I can do to recover my driving is stop for a few minutes then continue driving without comentary.

As far as I know comentary is required by all advanced driving tests? which means I'm not advanced driver material.

No - as Chris said, neither IAM nor RoADA demand it, but for me it does help to understand the driver's thought process and observational powers if I'm observing, and if I'm driving someone it can help explain to them that, yes, I have seen the tractor in the distance, but I'm overtaking anyway!

There are several threads on commentary on this site, and now two DVDs available that illustrate it. I'd recommend watching the DVDs and you might not find it so daunting (OK - the ex copper is quite hardcore on the bespoke driver training one 8) )

DVDs from www.cadence.co.uk and www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk

Maybe just start by calling out all the roadsigns and what they mean as soon as you see them. Then try adding in changes in road markings, road surface.

I really wouldn't let this stop you from trying IAM or RoADA.
crr003

Postby martine » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:57 pm

miniclubmanestate:

Commentary is most definitely not compulsory for the IAM test - this was changed some years ago.

If you group has given the impression it is compulsory you should clarify it with your chief observer as it will and does, put some people off the whole advanced-driving-thing.

It is compulsory for Observers though (if your group follows the recommended curriculum and test).

As for feeling a bit of a prat - well yes it does feel strange but I encourage my associates to start by simply mentioning road signs and then embellising as they get more practice. You can of course practice by yourself and even that causes less strange looks these days as people assume you are talking on a hands-free mobile.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:50 pm

My group do a demonstration drive at the introduction which is excelent. The drive contains some comenntary and the times when not the observer is explaining why we do things in a certain way.
I have a high opinion the group as a whole.

I'm not giving up just yet, I'll see what my observer personaly thinks about droping commentary in the test and take it from there. I'm commited to improving my driving and always will be aiming to improve some how.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Not only is commentary not compulsory for either IAM or ROADAR tests - but even when a commentary is given, by agreement, it would be most unusual to continue for more than a few minutes at a time (maybe 5). If you can keep going for 15 mins you are doing very well.

Commentary is required for the IAM Special Assessment, but even in that very stringent test you are only required to comment for two periods of about 5 minutes each.

My personal take on commentary is that you should try to relate what you see to what you will do about it - so
Slowing for the ......
Vehicle is .... so I will .....
30 limit, .... mph to lose
Left bend, positioning towards the crown of the road to extend my vision

You cannot mention everything, so leave out what is completely obvious. And if you haven't mentioned something before you get to it, forget it completely. The idea is to mention what is affecting your driving plan now, not to explain what has already happened.

I find that almost all my IAM Associates manage to do quite competent commentaries.
waremark

Postby rlmr » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:54 pm

hpcdriver wrote:Not only is commentary not compulsory for either IAM or ROADAR tests - but even when a commentary is given, by agreement, it would be most unusual to continue for more than a few minutes at a time (maybe 5).

I must be the lucky one then. Almost all of the candidates I test (locally) for the IAM Car Groups give me a starting drill, resume and straight into a reasonable commentary which lasts up till the stopping drill. I know commentary is optional so in view of the last posts, my thumbs up goes to the local IAM Groups.

Agree that Commentary is a requirement for both Senior Observer and Spacial Assessment (Car) but still not a prerequisite for the bikes... and as far I believe, this will remain so for the bikes unless the IAM supply me with radios. For those who have Group radios I am happy to use them and commentary gains plus points, but there is no minus for not giving.
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum