When auto Lights don't work??

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby gannet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:42 pm

trashbat wrote:
dombooth wrote:
trashbat wrote:Also it's quite possible that, in terms of lighting, you can increase your chances of an accident in fog by having your foglights on.

When there's noone visible behind you, fine, but as soon as there is someone able to consistently see you, of course they make it much more difficult to perceive the information supplied when your brake lights come on.

That would of course depend on where your rear fog light is on the vehicle.

Dom

To an extent - the Punto's are placed well for this, whereas something like this is bad:

In either case it's still a bright light that unnecessarily distracts from one of the most important signals, and whatever else is going on.

That's as maybe, but that picture doesn't also show the third high level brake light which would be more visible in these instances and would help the distinction between fog and brake lights no end ;)
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby trashbat » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:00 pm

It's not a point I really wanted to labour this far, but I disagree - you often see cars with only the high level LEDs working out of poor maintenance, and my feeling is that reaction & perception is significantly inhibited by this. Well, that's also how I feel about having high intensity foglights shining in my eyes when I'm already following a vehicle at a steady rate, and having to pick out other signals from amongst that.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby GJD » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:05 pm

trashbat wrote:In either case it's still a bright light that unnecessarily distracts from one of the most important signals, and whatever else is going on.

That's more the point. The idea of fog lights masking braking on the vehicle immediately in front is, I think, something of a red herring. The difficulty is with vehicles 5, 10, 20 ahead because you don't have continuous view of their light clusters. If a bright red light appears ahead, is it a brake light that's just switched on or a fog light that, because of a slight relative movement of the vehicles ahead, has just become visible to you?

Following a bright red fog light in thick fog - particularly on a country road with little to mark the border between road and not road (which wasn't the situation in the OP's link of course) - can be quite disorientating. A fascinating feeling (a bit like 'the leans'' if anyone's tried flying an aeroplane in cloud) but not exactly conducive to incident-free motoring.

As a general principle, I can certainly see disadvantages and I can't really see any benefit to leaving a rear fog light on when tail lights are sufficient for the driver behind, apart from laziness. The night driving equivalent would be leaving main beam on in the face of oncomers because you couldn't be bothered to dip.
Last edited by GJD on Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJD

Postby dombooth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 pm

buachaille wrote:
dombooth wrote:
trashbat wrote:Also it's quite possible that, in terms of lighting, you can increase your chances of an accident in fog by having your foglights on.

When there's noone visible behind you, fine, but as soon as there is someone able to consistently see you, of course they make it much more difficult to perceive the information supplied when your brake lights come on.

Dom

And whether you have a single fog light, or two fog lights.

Duncan

Of course.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby dombooth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:06 pm

trashbat wrote:
dombooth wrote:

Dom

To an extent - the Punto's are placed well for this, whereas something like this is bad:

In either case it's still a bright light that unnecessarily distracts from one of the most important signals, and whatever else is going on.

Stupid place for them IMO.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:23 pm

Makes one wonder whether a single, central, flashing red rear light as on single seater racecars might be of use in poor visibility conditions.
"Oh no, that would be distracting, I'd have to leave a greater distance from the vehicle in front".
That would be the idea.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Fignon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:21 pm

"If you were travelling at 30mph you would have still hit the car in front of you because the visibility was down to 10 yards."

"It was very foggy, in places you could only see 30ft in front of you. Cars only need to be going 30 or 40mph for braking distances to become an issue when it's like that."

Incredible.
Fignon

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 am

Fignon wrote:"If you were travelling at 30mph you would have still hit the car in front of you because the visibility was down to 10 yards."

"It was very foggy, in places you could only see 30ft in front of you. Cars only need to be going 30 or 40mph for braking distances to become an issue when it's like that."

Incredible.

No, not incredible, just indicative of the lack of comprehensive driver training.
Yes, you can go really slowly when conditions dictate.
Of course, if other muppets aren't?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby DanFraser » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:37 am

Fignon wrote:"If you were travelling at 30mph you would have still hit the car in front of you because the visibility was down to 10 yards."

Incredible.

Yup, and people are still blaming it on speed and want to reduce the speed limit below it's current 70.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23984059
DanFraser

Postby trashbat » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:43 pm

They have comprehensive driver training.

Unfortunately, they took it all from Roadcraft: Days Of Thunder Special Edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77ybggTHHg
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TR4ffic » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:52 pm

DanFraser wrote:Yup, and people are still blaming it on speed and want to reduce the speed limit below it's current 70.

A speed limit is a waste of time because even 50mph would have been too fast for the conditions. Also, it was daylight so how would lighting have helped? Neither do drivers need matrix signs to tell them it's foggy..! LOOK..!

Most drivers travel too fast and too close even in perfect conditions and make no allowance for imperfect conditions.

Its just a case of the all too common adage used nowadays that it's always someone else's fault and if they can't blame an individual they blame the authorities...
Riveting – The most fascinating job you could ever have..!

Nick
IAM Member since 1985
TR4ffic

Postby gannet » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:58 pm

TR4ffic wrote:
DanFraser wrote:Yup, and people are still blaming it on speed and want to reduce the speed limit below it's current 70.

A speed limit is a waste of time because even 50mph would have been too fast for the conditions. Also, it was daylight so how would lighting have helped? Neither do drivers need matrix signs to tell them it's foggy..! LOOK..!

Most drivers travel too fast and too close even in perfect conditions and make no allowance for imperfect conditions.

Its just a case of the all too common adage used nowadays that it's always someone else's fault and if they can't blame an individual they blame the authorities...

couldn't have put that better myself...

not to mention matrix signs would not have been visible - it was foggy :roll:
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby revian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:28 pm

+1 to the above... At the very least! 8)
Wirral
revian

Postby DanFraser » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:57 am

Yep, another +1 for that reply.
DanFraser

Postby nigelc » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:46 pm

and another +1

I see that there is a call now for matrix signs as if it would changed things. If people could see them through the fog who actually takes any notice of them. Certainly none of the drivers around here.

To be fair though, the matrix signs are often misleading and warn of things that aren't there.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the former. Albert Einstein
nigelc

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum