What is advanced driving like around the world?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:40 am

Rubber_Johnnie wrote:
TripleS wrote:...Even so, I still have the feeling that we could make a very useful improvement in road safety without a huge effort in formal training and testing, merely by the delivery of a few key messages via TV presentations.

I would support that wholeheartedly.

People generally are under the impression that "it will never happen to them" and have very little idea of it will be like when it does happen. As a Johnnie, I have seen a little of what happens when it goes wrong. I'm sure that for the emergency service drivers on this forum it will be all too familiar. Of course, it's usually the young males who think they are invincible that are the worst (Regretably, speaking from personal experience :oops: )

I was very lucky a time or two in my first few years of driving. It still frightens me now to just picture some of the things I did. There were one or two minor mishaps without anybody getting hurt, like me getting rear ended twice, but I could also have had a couple of highish speed nasties of my own making. <big shudder>

Take care all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Johnnie » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:41 am

Having seen some of the "youth of today" hammering round where I live now, I have to say that my own automotive formative years seem rather more sedate - there's a limited amount you can achieve in an 11 year-old Metro. Thankfully, my one or two transgressions all involved inanimate objects, bollards mainly.

Something I've noticed is that over the 15 or so years I've been on the road, the types of car that novice drivers get to drive have changed dramatically. When my mates and I passed our tests, our first cars were so well past their prime that getting them to 70 was sometimes a struggle. It was only after we had grown up / got jobs / got money / calmed down a bit that we could splash out on the equivalent of what kids who have only just passed their tests are getting hold of nowadays. That (novice drivers starting off with increasingly powerful cars) must increase the danger on our roads. How about a system similar to what happens on motorbikes? Pass your test, then spend a couple of years in something restricted to say 70HP or so.
Johnnie

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Rubber_Johnnie wrote:Having seen some of the "youth of today" hammering round where I live now, I have to say that my own automotive formative years seem rather more sedate - there's a limited amount you can achieve in an 11 year-old Metro. Thankfully, my one or two transgressions all involved inanimate objects, bollards mainly.

Something I've noticed is that over the 15 or so years I've been on the road, the types of car that novice drivers get to drive have changed dramatically. When my mates and I passed our tests, our first cars were so well past their prime that getting them to 70 was sometimes a struggle. It was only after we had grown up / got jobs / got money / calmed down a bit that we could splash out on the equivalent of what kids who have only just passed their tests are getting hold of nowadays. That (novice drivers starting off with increasingly powerful cars) must increase the danger on our roads. How about a system similar to what happens on motorbikes? Pass your test, then spend a couple of years in something restricted to say 70HP or so.

My first car was an Austin Healey Sprite, new in September 1960 - an early 21st birthday present - so I was very lucky in that respect. There wasn't a lot of power, it was only 43 bhp, but it was fun to drive and Eileen and I had some happy days with that car. 'Twas carefree times generally. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Lady Godiva » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Very interesting, and some good information.

BUT the online safety videos on the DSA site are thought provoking to say the least, and I'm now more subdued (and a little upset) than I was a few minutes ago.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby TripleS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:20 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:Very interesting, and some good information.

BUT the online safety videos on the DSA site are thought provoking to say the least, and I'm now more subdued (and a little upset) than I was a few minutes ago.

Regards
Sally

Well let Dave cheer you up a bit. :)

What's the trouble then? You've been driving quite a long time, done the IAM course and passed their test fairly recently, so can you now not feel reasonably OK about coping safely? I know nothing is guaranteed for anybody, but I would have hoped you would now be feeling fairly secure.

Chat to us here - or to me directly if you think I can help - and I'll promise to stop clowning for the time being. I don't wish to interfere, but is that any good?

....but please don't ask me about scones disguised as pancakes!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:31 pm

Regards
Sally

Could you provide a link to those? I've often found that the easiest way to keep disciplined on speeds is to periodically picture what might go wrong. Imagining hitting one of those nice new "soft landing" yellow/black blobs on the start of a barrier on the side of the road makes me shudder and want to change lane every time I pass one on the A45...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:45 pm

Rubber_Johnnie wrote:Something I've noticed is that over the 15 or so years I've been on the road, the types of car that novice drivers get to drive have changed dramatically. When my mates and I passed our tests, our first cars were so well past their prime that getting them to 70 was sometimes a struggle. It was only after we had grown up / got jobs / got money / calmed down a bit that we could splash out on the equivalent of what kids who have only just passed their tests are getting hold of nowadays. That (novice drivers starting off with increasingly powerful cars) must increase the danger on our roads. How about a system similar to what happens on motorbikes? Pass your test, then spend a couple of years in something restricted to say 70HP or so.

I agree. My first was a Fiat Uno in black/rust. It had many flaws (manual choke, back end with a preference for the right with moderate/heavy braking, dodgy first gear, persistant untraceable oil leak, etc) but it certainly taught me how to drive. The lack of power steering (and power in general) kept me from getting into anything too fast or dangerous. I think a limitation of engine size/power for a period after passing the test would be a good thing - of course this restriction could be lifted on becoming an advanced driver!

Lady Godiva wrote:
"It covers our roads and pavements with a shambolic mess of white lines, red and green splodges, textured surfaces and obstructions."

Having onced watched a program on the issue and being a strong believer in the importance of standards and consistency in signage, etc, I believe that we have one of the best set of signs and markings in the world. Once the circle/triangle/rectangle system is understood, virtually all the signs are instantly understandable with no previous knowledge. There are of course a few exceptions, e.g. clearway. A lot of effort has been put into the clarity and consistency of the UK signage and road markings. I also think that the combination of paint, textures, signs and furniture provides a very good and varied method of communicating all the volume of information required for our safety.
Slink_Pink

Postby Lady Godiva » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:24 pm

TripleS wrote:

Regards
Sally

Well let Dave cheer you up a bit. :)

What's the trouble then? You've been driving quite a long time, done the IAM course and passed their test fairly recently, so can you now not feel reasonably OK about coping safely? I know nothing is guaranteed for anybody, but I would have hoped you would now be feeling fairly secure.

Chat to us here - or to me directly if you think I can help - and I'll promise to stop clowning for the time being. I don't wish to interfere, but is that any good?

....but please don't ask me about scones disguised as pancakes!

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Dear Dave - thank you for your kind comments. I think I can cope reasonably well, and I do try and drive as well as I can all the time. Also, I always wear a seat belt and I never drink and drive. Not 1 glass of wine, or 1/2 a bitter shandy, or anything. But I do worry about how others drive, and more importantly the impact it has on real life innocent people.

It's just that i saw those adverts on the links provided by NalaGee (previous page) and I found them a little upsetting. I think the reason is that when I see an advert like that, I don't just see it as a bit of television, I can actually see the real life situation, and see the hurt and pain that's caused to others. The Father that runs out to the little boy crushed by the rolling car, then hold him in his arms, weeping. The young couple just setting out, and one dies in the arms of the other. I don't see them as actors, or statistics, or points to be used in an argument. I see them as a real little boy dead, or a sister growing up without a big brother, or families ruined forever, or the hurt and the pain and the grief, and I just find it all a bit too much to take sometimes.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby Lady Godiva » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:33 pm

SammyTheSnake wrote:

Regards
Sally

Could you provide a link to those? I've often found that the easiest way to keep disciplined on speeds is to periodically picture what might go wrong. Imagining hitting one of those nice new "soft landing" yellow/black blobs on the start of a barrier on the side of the road makes me shudder and want to change lane every time I pass one on the A45...

Cheers & God bless

Dear Sammy

Try this http://www.driveandstayalive.com/index.htm The videos are on the RH side of the page on a link.

You may find it upsetting if you have any empathy, but there again it may be just me.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

Postby Lady Godiva » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:46 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:
"It covers our roads and pavements with a shambolic mess of white lines, red and green splodges, textured surfaces and obstructions."

Having onced watched a program on the issue and being a strong believer in the importance of standards and consistency in signage, etc, I believe that we have one of the best set of signs and markings in the world. Once the circle/triangle/rectangle system is understood, virtually all the signs are instantly understandable with no previous knowledge. There are of course a few exceptions, e.g. clearway. A lot of effort has been put into the clarity and consistency of the UK signage and road markings. I also think that the combination of paint, textures, signs and furniture provides a very good and varied method of communicating all the volume of information required for our safety.

Dear Slink_Pink - I know you are technically correct as showing the quotation against me, but I just wanted to emphasise that i was quoting someone else.

I personally don't have an issue with the paint and signage on our roads, and I don't seem to experience the confusion that others have. There again, it may be that I am such an empty headed bimbo that I am missing them in the first place!

I agree with you that we have some of the best marked roads, and I also agree with you that the 'first cars' are now a lot more than we had when we first started out. We were the lucky ones though, Dave started out with a crank handle!!! (see, despite being upset by the adverts I can still have a laugh).

Regards
Sally

P.S. can I just comment on the silly girl I passed on the way to my horse last night. She (the girl, not the horse) was driving up though the village, narrow street, residential, parked cars, and she was holding the mobile to her ear. That's bad enough, but as she passed her friend on the side of the road, she took her other hand off the wheel and waved to her. The mind boggles! Never mind the police, I know what I would do.
Lady Godiva

Postby SammyTheSnake » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:the online safety videos on the DSA site are thought provoking to say the least, and I'm now more subdued (and a little upset) than I was a few minutes ago.

Could you provide a link to those?

Dear Sammy

Try this http://www.driveandstayalive.com/index.htm The videos are on the RH side of the page on a link.

You may find it upsetting if you have any empathy, but there again it may be just me.

Regards
Sally

Thanks for the link. I'm afraid empathy isn't one of my strong suits (Something to do with being a bloke who fits too many stereotypes, sadly) but I'm working on it :-)

I certainly find it helps to cultivate a healthy level of paranoia about the consequences of being careless or whatever, I'm sure I'd have killed myself (or indeed someone else) by now if I didn't make a habit of it...

Cheers & God bless
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:54 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:Dave started out with a crank handle!!! (see, despite being upset by the adverts I can still have a laugh).

Regards
Sally

I think you'll find that the Stressed one is too young to know what a crank handle is. :lol:

....but I know - and I also know what it feels like if an engine kicks back when you use the confounded thing!

<not exactly fond memories of a 1953 Lanchester 14>

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:18 pm

TripleS wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:Dave started out with a crank handle!!! (see, despite being upset by the adverts I can still have a laugh).

Regards
Sally

I think you'll find that the Stressed one is too young to know what a crank handle is. :lol:

....but I know - and I also know what it feels like if an engine kicks back when you use the confounded thing!

<not exactly fond memories of a 1953 Lanchester 14>

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Or a Hilman Imp, with a duff bendix gear on the starter motor, resulting in severe brusing to my right hand. LOL
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:56 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:
Slink_Pink wrote:
Lady Godiva wrote:

Dear Slink_Pink - I know you are technically correct as showing the quotation against me, but I just wanted to emphasise that i was quoting someone else.

I personally don't have an issue with the paint and signage on our roads, and I don't seem to experience the confusion that others have. There again, it may be that I am such an empty headed bimbo that I am missing them in the first place!

I agree with you that we have some of the best marked roads, and I also agree with you that the 'first cars' are now a lot more than we had when we first started out. We were the lucky ones though, Dave started out with a crank handle!!! (see, despite being upset by the adverts I can still have a laugh).

Regards
Sally

P.S. can I just comment on the silly girl I passed on the way to my horse last night. She (the girl, not the horse) was driving up though the village, narrow street, residential, parked cars, and she was holding the mobile to her ear. That's bad enough, but as she passed her friend on the side of the road, she took her other hand off the wheel and waved to her. The mind boggles! Never mind the police, I know what I would do.

Sorry - didn't mean to ambiguously quote your post. :oops: I'm just the kind of person who finds it a little mundane when people quote entire posts when only referring to one point! I shall be more careful in future!
Slink_Pink

Postby Lady Godiva » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:44 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Sorry

Dear Slink Pink - absolutely no need to apologise. I only wanted to set the record straight that I agreed with you about the signage and paint, in that it really isn't a problem.

Be careful out there, but enjoy it.

Regards
Sally
Lady Godiva

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum