DSA driving test

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

DSA Test...

Pass
91%
Fail
9%

Total votes : 23

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:00 am

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:
Lynne wrote:just making necessary changes for DSA requirements.

It strikes me as odd that there should be anything that fits into this category.

Well...let me see (purely personally, of course)...approach lines and lane selection on entering RABs; not 'obeying' LH & RH lane turn markings where not reinforced by filters at ATS; positioning for view; not signalling to nobody; not changing up in town driving at the absolute earliest opportunity; using intermediate gear hold rather than leaving an auto in D most of the time; reversing using mirrors; not 'obeying' advisory temporary speed 'limits'; using hazard lights where useful to others, rather than strict HC 'rules'; using accel sense to slow, rather than brakes; emergency stop without disengaging the clutch until the end; refusal to learn the HC braking distances chart (ask me why!); entering ghost islands where bounded only by broken white lines; bold position on passing parked vehicles; 'staightening' some mini RABs and intruding onto the paint...

Just a few of the things I do (NO, sillies, not all the time - just when appropriate) that I understand (no doubt some ADIs will be along to tell me if I am wrong!) that the DSA frowns upon.

I'll tell you the DSA frowns upon these, but not that you are wrong!
Rick

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 pm

LEF wrote:
MiniClubmanEstate wrote:However as soon as I can afford to I'm going to try and pass an IAM test without commentary.

I don't understand - are you particularly saying you AREN'T going to do commentary if invited to :?: Is there any particular reason for this :?: I'm genuinely interested - have you got certain principles etc :?:

Or have i totally mis-read what you've put :?: :oops:

I will not be doing commentary the full time as after a while it becomes nothing but a distraction to me and slows down my thought proccessi. If invited I will maintain a commentary for maybe 15 minutes, or until I suspect my driving is affected. Commentary leads me into red-mist after a while, something that I've never had before commentary, it would be dangerous for me to continue commentary at the point where this begins.
Or possibly is there any point in me atempting an IAM test with out a full commentary, I can only try.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby waremark » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:06 am

It would be extremely unusual to continue a commentary on an IAM test for as much as 15 minutes.

Commentary is not required on the test. Since it is optional, you cannot be failed for giving a poor commentary or for declining to give a commentary. However, your examiner will probably invite you to give a commentary for a few minutes, and I generally encourage my Associates to have a go. I would only avoid it if you find that the concentration required to give a commentary makes you drive badly.

The situation is the same with ROADAR. On the ROADAR forum it has been established that you could even get a Gold without giving a commentary.

Commentary is generally required for all Observer/Tutor tests, and is a stated requirement for the IAM Special Assessment and the Rospa Diploma - though here again you would probably not be required to give a commentary for more than the 15 minutes you mention.

Personally, I find it surprising to get 'Red Mist' from giving a commentary. I find that giving a commentary helps concentrate on the drive, ignoring all other factors, and as such if anything would help avoid red mist.

I always advise my Associates to continue to give commentaries on a regular basis after they pass as a way of maintaining and enhancing their driving standard.
waremark

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:42 am

I offered to give a full running commentary on my RoSPA drive, but the chap kept hinting that it wasn't required and then said he'd ask me to do a running commentary for a particular period of the test, so I shut up and waited :lol: In a way, it was nice not doing commentary because it meant we could chat informally about things around us, etc, etc.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Eutopia » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:49 am

I think the notion that advanced drivers not being able to pass their driving test is ridiculous. They should be able to walk it like they walk to the shops. If one can adopt an advanced style, even if it is long term and automatic, all one has to do is revert back to the simple things to pass a test. These things will be almost stopping at most roundabouts, not positioning overtly and indicating all the time. There will be others. A DSA test is a very dumbed down competence that even a monkey could pass one. I think those that fail their DSA test need to be seriously challenged in the common sense and co-ordination department.
Eutopia

Postby TripleS » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:22 am

Eutopia wrote:A DSA test is a very dumbed down competence that even a monkey could pass one. I think those that fail their DSA test need to be seriously challenged in the common sense and co-ordination department.

Good morning dear lady, I see you're in your usual robust form. :wink:

<thinks: I wonder if she's with North Yorkshire Police? Oh hell!>

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby manilva15b » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:42 am

I put fail. I, however have been out of the UK for a while and would probably fluff the theory test without time to prepare for it. I am confident I would pass the practical test by simply adjusting my style (which I do every day, depending on whether there are passengers in the 'bus' or not).

Spain also has a theory test (also available in English :o ), however my research turns up nowhere where the practical is available in English :cry: - a real downer for my clients who are US citizens and need to re-test to drive here. Unless anyone out there can tell me of one?

Check out this link to see how the test works in practice: http://www.andalucia.com/living/vehicles_exams.htm

Probably the most important thing to understand as you go into this process is that it is well-known as a money maker for the government and the driving academy industry. The test is purposely designed to ensure that failure rates remain as high as possible and those taking the test have to re-take it as many times as possible.
:wink:
manilva15b

Postby waremark » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Eutopia wrote:I think the notion that advanced drivers not being able to pass their driving test is ridiculous. They should be able to walk it like they walk to the shops. If one can adopt an advanced style, even if it is long term and automatic, all one has to do is revert back to the simple things to pass a test. These things will be almost stopping at most roundabouts, not positioning overtly and indicating all the time.

One of the best informed contributors on the old IAM forum had passed virtually every advanced and teaching driving qualification available including for example Cardington Special and Rospa Diploma. He stated that he drove in the same way for all tests.

I believe that an Advanced Driver driving well and legally would pass the DSA test without the need to make any adjustment to their driving style.

Which of course is not to say that learners are generally taught to drive in an advanced style, just that the advanced style would be acceptable.
waremark

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum