Private Parking Space Rights

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:39 pm

I'd go for a friendly note under the windscreen wiper just pointing out that it's your property and you'd appreciate if they'd park in the visitor's spaces, or wherever. If they still persist, I'd install some metal poles (while their car is in place if necessary ;)).

We have this problem with our allocated space in a car park round the corner from our house. Sadly our spaces are unmarked so when I get round to it, I'll be painting a space and putting a number in it. I'm not really bothered as we never use it, but as mentioned above, it's your property and you've paid for it!

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby theyoungen » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:48 pm

If it becomes a real problem, you could always get yourself an SIA license. Then you'd be alowed to clamp him!! (...you'd also be aloud to work as a bouncer, if you felt like it!)

Failing that, try these:

http://www.teamfishcake.co.uk/article.php?id=140

(contains some profanity)
L-Test @ 17,
RoSPA Gold @ 18,
Group Chairman @ 19.
HPC @ 20

www.staffsadvanceddriving.co.uk
theyoungen

Postby James » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Just HAVE to get me some of those
James

Postby SammyTheSnake » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:11 pm

James wrote:Just HAVE to get me some of those

this one's my personal favourite.

I once saw a gag christmas gift that looked something like a cheque book, but each page was a fake parking ticket with tick-boxes labled with things like "Parking in disabled space" "parking on double-yellow lines" "parking in front of my bloody house" "greviously not getting a *real* ticket" "inexplicably still having a driving license" and so on, getting more and more sarcastic as you go down the page.

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby MGF » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:23 pm

It depends on the content of your lease. If the car parking spaces are incorporated into the lease then you may have a proprietary interest in the land which should be sufficient to enable you to lawfully prevent tresspass to the land.

If not but you are entitled to use the parking spaces then you still may be able to prevent tresspass but your rights are more limited.

There is little you can do about trespass unless it causes damage to your property or you incur financial loss as a concequence of the trespass. Otherwise any court action would result in nominal damages which are probably not worth the effort.

If the trespassers are persistant offenders then you can get an injuntion against them not to park on your property again. To continue to park would be contempt of court and a breach could result in a fine or even imprisonment.

You can contact the DVLA and ask for the details of the registered keeper of the vehicle so you can write to him and demand that he does not park on your property and if he continues to do so you may seek an injunction and/or damages.
MGF

Postby rlmr » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:33 pm

James wrote:Criminal Damage?

Roads (Scotland) Act... if I remember rightly there is something about marking the carriageway as opposed to actually damaging it as damage is harder to prove.

April fools morning whilst I was a young cop in St. Andrews, a bunch of students painted (emulsion so it washed off easily) a Zebra Crossing so they could get to the Union Bar in safety :D . 15 years later the local authority recognised it was a good idea and installed a proper one.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby manilva15b » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:55 pm

I thought about translating these for use here in Spain. Then it occurred to me I'd spend a fortune in paper.

Next time (if there's enough dirt or dust on the window) you could try the following: "¡Oye coño! Que no puedes aparcar así". You'd at least get a double-take, and they might think your some 'voylent furriner'.
manilva15b

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum