A quick and somewhat embarrassing question!!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby SammyTheSnake » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:12 am

Gareth wrote:Some cars have handbrakes which operate the disk brakes - if the the disk is warm when the handbrake is put on, then when the metal cools and contracts, the car may not be so firmly held.

I've not thought of this angle before, thanks for bringing it to my mind :)

Gareth wrote:...you need to be careful about which gear is selected because a few engines get very arsey, (i.e. potentially expensive bills), when rotated in the wrong direction! So reverse gear for facing uphill, and first or second for facing downhill.

Can you elaborate on this? I can't think why any sensibly designed engine should mind. (The only exception I could think of is engines with non-mechanically actuated valves, but I don't know of any of those on the road...)

Also I don't think it's even slightly easy to make the engine turn over from a standing start at least in 1st. Anyone who's done more than a couple of bump starts will know it's not worth trying without a run up and at least second gear...

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:35 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:
Gareth wrote:...you need to be careful about which gear is selected because a few engines get very arsey, (i.e. potentially expensive bills), when rotated in the wrong direction!
Can you elaborate on this? I can't think why any sensibly designed engine should mind.

Engines that have cambelts are the most common problem I've come across.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 am

StressedDave wrote:
Gareth wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:
Gareth wrote:...you need to be careful about which gear is selected because a few engines get very arsey, (i.e. potentially expensive bills), when rotated in the wrong direction!
Can you elaborate on this? I can't think why any sensibly designed engine should mind.

Or just Alfa Romeo engines... :twisted: It's more of an issue when there's a bit of momentum involved rather than trying to roll away from rest.

My mental picture of the bottom timing chain tensioner on the Jaguar XK engines leads me to feel that they might take offence at being rotated the wrong way.

....and I've spent enough time working on those not to want to provoke trouble!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:13 am

SammyTheSnake wrote:Also I don't think it's even slightly easy to make the engine turn over from a standing start at least in 1st. Anyone who's done more than a couple of bump starts will know it's not worth trying without a run up and at least second gear...

I got bruises when pushing someone who tried to bump-start in first. Clutch went up. Wheels locked. I slammed into the boot. Ouch.
7db

Postby crr003 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:23 am

Micra Driver wrote:As for my location, I am from Wiltshire (from a small town called Trowbridge, in Wiltshire). Anyone know of any advanced instructors/groups in my area?

Swindon's a nice drive away - http://www.swindondrivers.com/ I met some very good people in the IAM there.

Look here for other IAM groups in your area:
http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroups/groupdi ... outhwales/

If you'd prefer RoSPA/RoADAR, North Wilts is very good (a bit bikey though, but OK if you like the sound of creaking leather during the meetings.....!)

http://www.northwiltsroadarandrospa.co.uk/
crr003

Postby Micra Driver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 am

crr003 wrote:Swindon's a nice drive away - http://www.swindondrivers.com/ I met some very good people in the IAM there.

Look here for other IAM groups in your area:
http://www.iam.org.uk/iamgroups/groupdi ... outhwales/

If you'd prefer RoSPA/RoADAR, North Wilts is very good (a bit bikey though, but OK if you like the sound of creaking leather during the meetings.....!)

http://www.northwiltsroadarandrospa.co.uk/
Thanks dude, I'll keep that in mind!

:lol:

Might have to buy a new roadmap though - I got lost the last time I went to Swindon (I know, I know!) :oops: 8)
Micra Driver

Postby Gareth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:15 pm

StressedDave wrote:
Gareth wrote:
SammyTheSnake wrote:

Or just Alfa Romeo engines... :twisted: It's more of an issue when there's a bit of momentum involved rather than trying to roll away from rest.

With the Alfa V6's it also depends on which type of detensioner is fitted, because the newer type, (thermal expansion of bi-metallic strip I think), which was designed for use on transverse mounted engines isn't so good when fitted to longitudinally mounted engines, (which seem to prefer a leaky oil fed detensioner). I seem to be unfortunately knowledgeable about the problems with Alfa V6's :cry:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Micra Driver » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:44 pm

new question!!!! (I can sense the rolleyes approaching! :p)

When stationary at traffic lights, I have always been taught to handbrake on and into neutral, resting the pedals once done. Otherwise I just handbrake on and hold the clutch down with 1st already selected and right foot poised near the gas pedal for the off.

Is this an unsafe method to sit handbrake on with the clutch pressed in and 1st selected? Should I be taking neutral every time I apply the handbrake?

Obviously, the above is only when I am stopped for a suitable length of time (i.e. when it's clear I'm going nowhere in the next 10 seconds or so), else I'll just sit on the footbrake with the clutch in and 1st selected (or is that a bad thing to do? wearing out the magical cable things that connect the clutch pedal to wherever the clutch pedal connects to?)
Micra Driver

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:47 pm

Micra Driver wrote:Is this an unsafe method to sit handbrake on with the clutch pressed in and 1st selected? Should I be taking neutral every time I apply the handbrake?

I think there are two ways to look at this....

a) Your foot slips off the clutch, the car lurches forward and you hit the car infront/roll over the white line

b) You see a car approaching from behind that is going to hit you, you can move the car safely forward and potentially minimise the impact/get out of the way...

My observer believed in the foot off everything approach, my examiner was far more relaxed about it.... (although obviously your clutch release bearing will wear quicker the more you use it)....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Micra Driver » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:05 pm

I suppose..

Thanks ScoobyChris, thanks all! :D
Micra Driver

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum