Camera Mount Test

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 pm

£30 no points.
James

Postby stephenperry » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:50 pm

if it was tethered and didn't protrude out further than the exterior mirrors would this still be regarded as a mascot?
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Nigel » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:38 am

To be honest Stephen, as attractive as outside filming is...for the effect...I'd be tempted to keep it inside the car, out of your field of view, and possibly secured (tie wraps ?) so it can't bang you on the bonce should it come loose from its suction cup for any reason.

It sticks out about the same as towing mirrors would, but towing mirrors are "accepted", that stuck on the outside of your car is only going to draw attention to yourself.

How much was it ?, I wouldn't mind something like that.
Nigel

Postby stephenperry » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:24 pm

thanks for the advice Nige, keeping it inside keeps the camera out of the elements too, you know what Scotlands like for unscheduled downpours :lol:

it cost £80 which sounds a lot for a rubber pad and a few bendy bits of metal but it's quite a substantial and sturdy thing and looks like it's built to last
stephenperry

Postby Søren » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:42 pm

stephenperry wrote:thanks for the advice Nige, keeping it inside keeps the camera out of the elements too, you know what Scotlands like for unscheduled downpours :lol:

it cost £80 which sounds a lot for a rubber pad and a few bendy bits of metal but it's quite a substantial and sturdy thing and looks like it's built to last

Good advice Nigel,

Section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 creates the offence of using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition.
From Police National Legal Database
40A A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when:

(a) the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment, or
(b) the purpose for which it is used, or
(c) the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried, or
(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured,

is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

Regulation 100 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 provides for the maintenance and use of vehicles so that no danger is caused.

From Police National Legal Database
100(1) A motor vehicle, every trailer drawn thereby and all parts and accessories of such vehicle and trailer shall at all times be in such condition (see note (i) below) that no danger (see notes (ii), (iii) and (iv) below) is caused or is likely to be caused to any person in or on the vehicle or trailer or on a road.

Either offence is valid, and the danger would be for the court to decide. I'd be considering the road conditions on which this is used and the purpose before considering reporting this for prosecution.

The mascot offence is not applicable as it is not a mascot.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Einstein
Søren

Postby James » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:03 am

Could be worse

James

Postby Nigel » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:27 am

May I save everyone the trouble so I don't have to read Sorens bad jokes twice ?

http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/in ... 7#msg71707

:D :D :D
Nigel

Postby Tomasz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:03 pm

What about my fluffy dice and moose air freshner? :\
Tomasz

Postby stephenperry » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:19 pm

making plans on the next not-so-thrilling installment when i work out how i can position all the cameras where i want them....

is it an offence for someone to sit in the boot with the tailgate open while a car is moving? daft and possibly dangerous, but is it illegal?
stephenperry

Postby PeteG » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:59 pm

Carrying dangerous/ unsecured load, I think. I don't know if you could get round this by harnessing or otherwise. And you'd need to find some way to secure a number plate - possibly to the crotch of the cameraman.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:31 pm

stephenperry wrote:making plans on the next not-so-thrilling installment when i work out how i can position all the cameras where i want them....

is it an offence for someone to sit in the boot with the tailgate open while a car is moving? daft and possibly dangerous, but is it illegal?

Section 40A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as inserted by the Road Traffic Act 1991) creates the offence of using a motor vehicle in a dangerous condition.

A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when:

(a) the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment, or
(b) the purpose for which it is used, or
(c) the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried, or
(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured,

is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

penalties
A fine not exceeding level five (max £5000) on the standard scale in respect of a goods vehicle or a vehicle adapted to carry more than eight passengers.

A fine not exceeding level four (max £2500) on the standard scale in any other case.

Discretionary disqualification

Obligatory endorsement - licence endorsed three penalty points.

Fixed penalty offence - Sixty pounds and three points.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby stephenperry » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:33 pm

<sigh> :roll:

thanks
stephenperry

Postby stephenperry » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:36 pm

:idea: i've had another idea! (oh no)

how about instead of a person in the boot it was a tethered tripod?

just have to deal with the tailgate being fully open then while driving, i wouldn't have said there would be much risk in that

the numberplate is mounted on the bumper
stephenperry

Postby James » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

Arguable, see point A in Von's example, equipment... and B the manner for which it is used, I know your trying but you do run the risk.
James

Postby Renny » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:27 am

stephenperry wrote::idea: i've had another idea! (oh no)

how about instead of a person in the boot it was a tethered tripod?

just have to deal with the tailgate being fully open then while driving, i wouldn't have said there would be much risk in that

the numberplate is mounted on the bumper

Something else to consider is that the rear of the car is a low-pressure area and as such any exhaust fumes will tend to be drwn into the car. You could counter this by opening the side windows and putting the fans on. Why not remove the tailgate so you don't have to worry about tethering it or putting up with it flapping about, or secure it against something to stop it "bouncing".
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum