Limiting vans to 56mph.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Nigel » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:25 am

this seems to back up sorens thoughts
Nigel

Postby stephenperry » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:00 pm

i'd like to see the limiters on lorries be dropped to 40 like they're meant to do on nsl roads - a minority of these "knights of the road" can be very obstinate by keeping their foot flat to the floor at 56mph making their long vehicles difficult to overtake safely at times; like vans they are deceptively quick in accelerating if unladen
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Søren » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:15 pm

stephenperry wrote:i'd like to see the limiters on lorries be dropped to 40 like they're meant to do on nsl roads - a minority of these "knights of the road" can be very obstinate by keeping their foot flat to the floor at 56mph making their long vehicles difficult to overtake safely at times; like vans they are deceptively quick in accelerating if unladen

I trust you mean some kind of GPS based Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA) system which limits the speed to the applicable limit for the road/vehicle, rather than simply limiting the vehicle to a blanket 40 mph.

Either option sounds like a bad idea IMHO.

I feel they are being obstinate and bloody minded when they stick to 40 on a nice wide straight 'A' road!

But that is the speed limit...

And I'm meant to enforce it! :D
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Einstein
Søren

Postby Gareth » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:58 pm

Søren wrote:I feel they are being obstinate and bloody minded when they stick to 40 on a nice wide straight 'A' road!

So we have a situation that is widely flouted, almost everybody thinks is unreasonable, and nobody dares campaign to change it.

It is convenient for the authorities, since it means that almost every HGV driver can be 'puilled' at almost any time. I expect this will be the future for all drivers, especially if (when) there is a blanket imposition of an unrealistically low speed limit on all rural roads.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby waremark » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:21 pm

Gareth wrote:I expect this will be the future for all drivers, especially if (when) there is a blanket imposition of an unrealistically low speed limit on all rural roads.

I thought there already was!!
waremark

Postby Nigel » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 pm

I've just has another horrid day on the A14, going to Suffolk & back.

If anyone wants to see the effect limited traffic has on the unlimited traffic, drive that road.

The worst one was coming back tonight, one lorry held us up for miles overtaking another, as soon as he pulled back in the one he had overtaken pulled straight out, nearly squashing me and he then held us up for miles again, overtaking the lorry that had just overtaken him.

Restricted vehicles should be kept in lane one of all roads at all times.
Nigel

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum