X Cars - Vehicle Road Crime Units

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:36 pm

martine wrote:Personally I get very frustrated with lenient sentences for repeat offenders...once, maybe twice but a minority are just taking the mickey and deserve to lose their freedom for a not inconsiderable period - I suppose this is the '3 strikes and your out' priniciple in some states of the US?

<rant>
Personally I get very frustrated with sentences full stop. If prison is such a good deterrent, why is the prison population growing ever faster, and why do so many repeat offend? Clearly the whole system is failing (I'm not intending this as a dig at the police as I know they're bound by the government/political system). However on the more specific note of these sorts of programs, I get very annoyed when people driving while banned, uninsured etc get fines smaller than my annual insurance premium. No wonder the law is so widely flouted. I'd like to see 3-strikes-and-you're-out where punishment then precludes the possibility of reoffending.

Jon
</rant>
jont

Postby martine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:41 pm

jont wrote:...I get very annoyed when people driving while banned, uninsured etc get fines smaller than my annual insurance premium. No wonder the law is so widely flouted.

Yes indeed - the law abiding majority are subsidising the unlawful minority.

How about a id-chip embedded in your skull that is then read by your car to validate if you're allowed to drive. :D
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby nuster100 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:51 pm

Maybee not as crazy as it seems.

I like the idea of a brethalizer linked to the ignition of anyone convicted of drink driving.

Its coded to their breath, and they have to be under the limit or the car wont start.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby martine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:53 pm

nuster100 wrote:...Its coded to their breath...

Howduzatwork?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby nuster100 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:54 pm

not sure, must be dna or somthing.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

nuster100

Postby martine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:02 pm

nuster100 wrote:not sure, must be dna or somthing

No you can't test dna instantly.

Perhaps it's finger print scanning (like on some laptops) rather than breath.
martine

Postby nuster100 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:04 pm

no, it knows its their breath.

Otherwise you could put your finger on it and a friend could use his breath.

I think it makes a comparision of the things in their breath or somthing.

Jay

nuster100

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:00 pm

jont wrote:<rant>
Personally I get very frustrated with sentences full stop. If prison is such a good deterrent, why is the prison population growing ever faster, and why do so many repeat offend? Clearly the whole system is failing (I'm not intending this as a dig at the police as I know they're bound by the government/political system). However on the more specific note of these sorts of programs, I get very annoyed when people driving while banned, uninsured etc get fines smaller than my annual insurance premium. No wonder the law is so widely flouted. I'd like to see 3-strikes-and-you're-out where punishment then precludes the possibility of reoffending.
Jon
</rant>

I should hope you aren't having a dig at the police..as what you describe has nothing at all to do with them. Prosecuting standards, verdicts at court, prison conditions, probation interventions etc etc....has absolutely nothing to do with the police.

It's like blaming the farmer, because the chef didn't cook your steak how you'd asked !
Roadcraft

Postby jont » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:19 pm

Roadcraft wrote:I should hope you aren't having a dig at the police..as what you describe has nothing at all to do with them. Prosecuting standards, verdicts at court, prison conditions, probation interventions etc etc....has absolutely nothing to do with the police.

I know that - I just didn't want anyone who only half read my post to get wound up - looks like I still failed ;)
jont

Postby PeteG » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:21 pm

I know prison isn't all sweetnes and light, despite what the Mail and co might say... but would going back to a bed, four walls, a bucket, and food through the bars be more of a deterrent?
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby Roadcraft » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:42 am

jont wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:I should hope you aren't having a dig at the police..as what you describe has nothing at all to do with them. Prosecuting standards, verdicts at court, prison conditions, probation interventions etc etc....has absolutely nothing to do with the police.

I know that - I just didn't want anyone who only half read my post to get wound up - looks like I still failed ;)

I get wound up at the drop of a hat...(which has happened in windy conditions)
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:13 pm

Roadcraft wrote:....as what you describe has nothing at all to do with them.....

Something up with my 'puter as I swear it didn't say that last night....... :wink:
crr003

Postby nuster100 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:18 pm

crr003 wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:....as what you describe has nothing at all to do with them.....

Something up with my 'puter as I swear it didn't say that last night....... :wink:

Its nice to see someone passionate about cars and the job. Easpecially when they just say whats on their mind.

Makes a refeshing change from the politics of work.

Jay

nuster100

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum