IAM & RoSPA

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:09 pm

Gareth wrote:
James wrote:So could a Rospa Bronze be just below IAM pass then...

We need a comment from someone who examines or has examined for both organisations at about the same time ...

Where's my friend 'Roadcraft' when we need him? He'll have the answer.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby crr003 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:22 pm

TripleS wrote:Where's my friend 'Roadcraft' when we need him? He'll have the answer.

Thought he was RoSPA?
crr003

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:11 pm

crr003 wrote:
TripleS wrote:Where's my friend 'Roadcraft' when we need him? He'll have the answer.

Thought he was RoSPA?

I thought he examined for the IAM and RoSPA.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:36 pm

I thought he used to do IAM and then did Rospa. I'll give him a tinkle...
James

Postby Lenny-bun » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:07 pm

Phew! Thanks for all that, plenty to chew over for sure. I'll keep my ear to the ground... :)
Lenny-bun

Postby hanse cronje » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:11 pm

back in 1988 i did both at the same time as the exmainer examined for both and was prepared to do both saving time all round

i past iam with ease but only got a silver rospa as is didn't do a moving brake test

discussing it at the time, bronze and iam were, by the examiner i had, consider the same level

i think you'd be wiser to go on to one of the private tutors and aim for hpc
after a period of consolidation rather than go through it all again
hanse cronje

Postby MGF » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:47 pm

Lenny-bun wrote:I've just passed my IAM advanced driving test and I've been pondering the RoSPA test.

Congratulations. I passed recently and am pondering putting in for my RoSPA test immediately.

All the discussion on here makes me intrigued to know what my IAM pass equates to in RoSPA's grading.

My money's on Silver.

Does anyone know whether or not you have to wait three years before taking a subsequent RoSPA test?

In other words if I took it now and got Silver (or Bronze) when would I be able to have a go at Gold before 3 years is up?
MGF

Postby Angus » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:01 am

MGF wrote:Does anyone know whether or not you have to wait three years before taking a subsequent RoSPA test?

In other words if I took it now and got Silver (or Bronze) when would I be able to have a go at Gold before 3 years is up?

If you get bronze, you retake after 12 months - 3 years is if you pass silver or gold.

You would have to pay, as your retest fee is taken from your 3 year's subs - but I don't know what the test fee is (I'm not even sure what my annual subs are - that's direct debit for you)
Angus

Postby GS » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:06 am

Three years is the maximum time you can wait until you have to retake the test if you want to remain a member. You can take as many as you want when you want, just apply to Birmingham for another test. Obviously you will have to pay for each one you take. I'm sure that if you look at the RoSPA web site you will find the page showing the guidance for the different grades.
GS
GS

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:35 am

Angus wrote:
MGF wrote:You would have to pay, as your retest fee is taken from your 3 year's subs -

Is it? I assumed it was about £60 for every attempt you take at it, be it every week or every 3 years?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby SammyTheSnake » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:58 am

ScoobyChris wrote:Is it? I assumed it was about £60 for every attempt you take at it, be it every week or every 3 years?

From my reading of the RoSPA site, it appears that regular tri-annual re-tests are included in the annual subs. I would imagine that any test taken more regularly than that would have to be paid for separately, though I don't recall any explicit mention of that on the site. (Or for that matter what it costs to take the first test)

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby crr003 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:03 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
MGF wrote:You would have to pay, as your retest fee is taken from your 3 year's subs -

Is it? I assumed it was about £60 for every attempt you take at it, be it every week or every 3 years?

Chris

From RoADA page:

"If you fail your initial test you may take a free retest between three and six months later. During this time we hope that you will have received assistance to improve your driving. If you wish to take a retest before your free test is due you will be expected to pay a fee of £20.00. "

So, keep paying your subs and the 3 yearly retest is "free". If you get Silver and strive to get Gold, before waiting three years, sounds like you can retry for £20.
crr003

Postby waremark » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:22 am

Angus wrote:If you get bronze, you retake after 12 months - 3 years is if you pass silver or gold.

This used to be the case but changed several years ago - now at whatever level you pass including bronze you are not required to take a retest until 3 years.

I think my Rospa sub by DD is £17.50 pa. Since this includes the 3 yearly retest it makes the IAM Special Assessment - the written report from which is similar in format to a Rospa test report - seem rather expensive at £60.

The question of how the lowest level of IAM pass compares to Rospa is confusing. I have been given different answers by different examiners who examine for both bodies, from minimum IAM pass equals minimum Rospa bronze to minimum IAM pass equals minimum Rospa silver. The most common position is probably that minimum IAM pass equals good Rospa bronze.

But back to the question of whether to 'move on' from IAM to Rospa. One possible reason for doing this would be just to fix your standard in the hierarchy a bit more specifically. A better reason would be because you want to go on improving your driving, in which case you need to practise, preferably with the assistance of a suitable coach. You may be able to get that sort of help from a local Rospa group - if you can it will be much cheaper than going to one of the well known commercial coaches, and Hugh Noblett of Cadence has often advised people to try to get to Rospa Gold before going to him in order to get the best value from his training. Remember that you will probably also be able to meet suitable coaches at ADUK driving days, or indeed through the new ClubDriving.
waremark

Postby ROG » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:57 am

"The question of how the lowest level of IAM pass compares to Rospa is confusing. I have been given different answers by different examiners who examine for both bodies, from minimum IAM pass equals minimum Rospa bronze to minimum IAM pass equals minimum Rospa silver. The most common position is probably that minimum IAM pass equals good Rospa bronze."

The only true way that I can see this question ever being resolved is to have one candidate taking both tests at the same time with 2 examiners in the car, one judging for ROADA end one for IAM.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Lenny-bun » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:48 am

hanse cronje wrote:i think you'd be wiser to go on to one of the private tutors and aim for hpc
after a period of consolidation rather than go through it all again

interesting point...the hpc is something I'm ultimately interested in...

L
Lenny-bun

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum