Number Plates

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:01 pm

chriskay wrote:I think you're setting a bad example though, James, in view of your job.

I think it's important to remember:
    we're quibbling about the spacing on a number plate,
    James is a super-advanced driver so no-one is ever going to need to report him anyway :wink:
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:22 pm

Oh dear! It was not my intention to cause such a stir. I actually don't know what the regulation on plates is, I have always thought that by just reducing the space between the sides it is OK, the numbers and letters are all normal size, normal font e.t.c. so it's not like a bike / chav plate. I have seen many plates like this and there seems to be no problem...

Like I said, as I don't know I know I am risking it a bit, but if anything does come of it then I will have to accept a fine... I will make enquiries however to establish if the plate is legal.
James

Postby crr003 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:37 pm

James wrote:Like I said, as I don't know I know I am risking it a bit, but if anything does come of it then I will have to accept a fine... I will make enquiries however to establish if the plate is legal.

James, it's easy.......Here!
crr003

Postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:38 pm

Just read over the thread again - I want to clarify that the plate is NOT mis represented, there are no silly bolts anywhere and no adapting of figures - it reads exactly as it was intended - when I said it reads DIZEEE I mean that is what it looks like - not that it literally reads that. The plate is totally standard DVLA size and font - the only slight adaption is there is less of a gap between the D17 and the EEE.

I am quite surprised that some might think I would actually chav up a plate, or that if I did I would even publicise it :shock:

Hope thats cleared up the issue somewhat - I am the last person that would jeapordise myself or the site... :cry:
James

Postby Porker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:16 pm

I think the main point here is that it's becoming increasingly easy to fall foul of the law while believing that your actions are in accordance with it.

The motoring underclass continues to grow and all we seem to be able to do is penalise the legitimate driver for going about his or her business in the best way they know how.

I truly despair of the current crop of self-serving professional liars who managed to convince enough people that they were fit to form a government.

P
Porker

Postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 pm

This is how it looks, I have had to use B17 as of course mine is no longer available - you should get the drift though...

James

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:14 pm

Oh yes, I have to watch the don't to anything daft thing, but it's not the number plates but that I drive the only russet Brown Mini Clubman Estate in Edinburgh or possibly the whole of Scotland.
Anybody spotted me yet? :shock:

I was recently sold ilegal number plates at Halfords and told that they were legal when I queried the assistant making a replacement at the time. On my age of car its the ABC 123S format but they claimed that when they made a number plate it had to be ABC1 23S. Anyhow I latter discovered that I was right, I printed something from the DVLA's website and demanded a replacement be made correctly at Halfords and with a little persuasion they did it.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby kwakba » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:05 pm

James wrote:Just read over the thread again - I want to clarify that the plate is NOT mis represented, there are no silly bolts anywhere and no adapting of figures - it reads exactly as it was intended - when I said it reads DIZEEE I mean that is what it looks like - not that it literally reads that. The plate is totally standard DVLA size and font - the only slight adaption is there is less of a gap between the D17 and the EEE.

I am quite surprised that some might think I would actually chav up a plate, or that if I did I would even publicise it :shock:

Hope thats cleared up the issue somewhat - I am the last person that would jeapordise myself or the site... :cry:

James, I think the issue came more from the fact thatI for one know of several others who has been in trouble for modifying their reg plate, a mate of mine had a pug 306 which had a number plate with 306 as the number, so he had new plates made, standard type/size etc. but the 306 was in bold - he was fined.

So to read that a Police officer was happily modifying his own number plate so that it was technically illegal was suprising, after all, we all know modifying your number plate is just behind speeding which is just above murder in the "how much trouble your gonna be in sunshine" stakes!
kwakba

Postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:32 pm

Totally agree and thats why I had to make it clear - the plate is not adapted or modified in anyway - all that is different is there is less of a gap between the two parts... but there is still a gap.

The gap is still there, nothing in the plate is bold, italic or changed - it is standard DVLA style. I had a slight concern regarding the space between both sides but my instinct tells me that that this is OK.

Perhaps I did not word the initial post right, as I said I would never alter the plate to be illegal...
James

Postby Porker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:19 pm

Your plate is fine as long as it conforms to the following specifications, according to DVLA.

Characters
Height 79mm
Width (except the figure 1 or letter l) 50mm
Stroke 14mm
Space between characters 11mm
Space between groups 33mm
Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) 11mm
Space between vertical lines 19mm

(my emboldening)

P.
Porker

Postby hardboiled » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Obviously Porker has presented the precise details but generally if you have to ask for it to be changed in any way from what the maker is going to give you otherwise - then chances are it's illegal.

Halfords supplying incorrectly formatted older style plates excepted.

Oh and before I come across all high and mighty - my plate has 44mm between groups - :shock: :roll:
hardboiled

Postby James » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:35 pm

After this thread thats the last thing that worries me - to be honest I feel I have let people down.

I never intended to appear nonchalant -I was just being honest as to my circumstances - as far as I know the plate is acceptable - but as I have said to a friend of mine perhaps I should have worded my initial post better.

I think my post suggested the plate was adapted - trust me it is not.

Hopefully I have explained things better now so can we concentrate on plates again? :wink:
James

Postby Porker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:41 pm

Yeah, let's get back to plates.

So, where can I get AN 15 HPC from?

or... EN 61 NEZ

P.
Porker

Postby James » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:12 am

James

Postby James » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:16 am

Here is the AN's...

http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/Searc ... C&start=20

As for 61 that aint avaible we havent reached the year 4001 yet!!! How about these:

http://www.dvla-som.co.uk/home/en/Searc ... &x=98&y=11
James

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum