Stressed/7/Sammy - Acceleration Question

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:53 pm

7db wrote:As I mentioned earlier in the the thread, size of overall wheel is limited by maximum, not minimum. They have the largest possible overall wheel, with a high profile and a small rim.

What does that tell you about the optimal set-up, that despite this they have huge wheels?

Aren't they also constrained by there being only one size of tyre available?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:11 pm

7db wrote:The rules are clear - four wheels only.

As I mentioned earlier in the the thread, size of overall wheel is limited by maximum, not minimum. They have the largest possible overall wheel, with a high profile and a small rim.

Big wheels play havoc with aerodynamics and create a lot of lift.

What does that tell you about the optimal set-up, that despite this they have huge wheels?

If you're talking about the six wheeled F1 car, it was many years ago, as I said, and the rules were obviously different at that time.

Presumably one of the reasons for trying the six wheeler was in an attempt to reduce frontal area.

I suppose it did reduce frontal area at the front, but they had such wide tyres at the back, there was still a huge rear frontal area there - if you know what I mean. (I wish I'd never started this!) ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:16 pm

jont wrote:
James wrote:On a stage 3 (remap / exhaust / intercooler) max speed becomes 173mph...

And the gearing is tall enough to support that? What does the gearing max out at?

400bhp shouldn't be impossible - Mitsubishi have been getting that sort of power out of their 2l engines in the evo, and I know there are MR2s around with similar power. Is it driveable every day in that state though?

I don't know, I have never tried it and I am not mechanically minded I am afraid. I have no plans to modify the car either... I struggle to afford the costs of running it as it is...
James

Postby MikeG » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:54 pm

James wrote:... I struggle to afford the costs of running it as it is...

You may find it even more of a struggle when Gordon opens his Red Sandwich Box. :evil:

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby nuster100 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:01 pm

Yes, £400 a year road tax.

Bloody Vulture

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby martine » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:22 pm

nuster100 wrote:Yes, £400 a year road tax.

Bloody Vulture

Jay

I've got a people carrier (4 children) which comes under the higher CO2 emissions so I can look forward to the £400 road tax next year. I keep it in perpective though as a tank of fuel for the Previa costs £50 (every 7-10 days) and depreciation is usually the biggest motoring expense by far for all car owners - so an extra £200 PER YEAR is just not worth getting irate about.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Another incentive to keep older cars running as all of us with older cars (where tax isn't emissions based) as it's only gone up £5.
jont

Postby 7db » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:37 pm

Or perhaps an incentive to SVA your gas guzzler.
7db

Postby SammyTheSnake » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:08 am

As well as the tyres being quite wide, F1 cars only weigh 605Kg which also means they don't need much pressure to stay off the ground :-p

TripleS wrote:
7db wrote:The rules are clear - four wheels only.

As I mentioned earlier in the the thread, size of overall wheel is limited by maximum, not minimum. They have the largest possible overall wheel, with a high profile and a small rim.

Big wheels play havoc with aerodynamics and create a lot of lift.

If you're talking about the six wheeled F1 car, it was many years ago, as I said, and the rules were obviously different at that time.

Presumably one of the reasons for trying the six wheeler was in an attempt to reduce frontal area.

I suppose it did reduce frontal area at the front, but they had such wide tyres at the back, there was still a huge rear frontal area there - if you know what I mean. (I wish I'd never started this!) ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

The 4 wheels rule was brought in specifically to ban this 6 wheeler. The reduction in air resistance of the smaller tyres, balanced by the better grip afforded by an extra pair was one incentive to create them, but back in those days the #1 concern (before which all others must bow) was the ground effect, which created quite insane downforce by channeling the airflow under the car to create a partial vacuum, maintained by skirts down the side of the car that actually dragged along the ground to keep the seal. The 6 wheeler arrangement was advantageous for that, and thereby provided a *lot* more grip at higher speeds. A secondary advantage they hadn't thought of before they drove the car on the track was that off the starting grid, the "front-rear" wheels layed down a layer of hot rubber which gave the "rear-rear" wheels extra grip, so it was actually pretty hot off the starting line, too :)

It wasn't long before the rules were changed so that ground effect was much harder to achieve and cars were allowed luxuries like suspension again...

HTH
Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
(I read a book by Nicky Lauda once...)
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby PeteG » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:50 am

Oh, was it a Lotus that had the fan on the back, to create more of a vacuum?

(way before my time, I know)
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby TripleS » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 am

PeteG wrote:Oh, was it a Lotus that had the fan on the back, to create more of a vacuum?

(way before my time, I know)

No. I think it was a Brabham - and it was known as the Hoover!
It used to suck up a great deal of rubbish off the track - and throw it at following cars. It wasn't popular with the opposition. :)

Ah, I've just seen Dave's reply. I remember the Tyrrell, but had completely forgotten about the Williams. Interesting stuff though, thanks.

Dave - are you going to point out that things are not 'sucked' up. You create a low pressure zone, and normal air pressure pushed things into it? ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby 7db » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:31 pm

That explains a question I've had since I was 15... :shock: :D
7db

Postby Susie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:00 pm

So, db understands Suck, Blow but not the Squeeze, Bang :D

Felicitations on the anniversary btw :wink:

s
Susie

Postby 7db » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Fank you.

I was 18 before I understood those.
7db

Postby PeteG » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:00 pm

Brabham, of course. :)
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum