How many blue light users can you name?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jasonh » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 am

I have a feeling Network Rail have some emergency response vehicles that can run with blues.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby kwakba » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:29 pm

jasonh wrote:I have a feeling Network Rail have some emergency response vehicles that can run with blues.

The emergency units that turned up the other day to ja ob where we needed to get track side only had ambers, about a million of them but def. not blues
kwakba

Postby vonhosen » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:01 pm

Anybody can have them, but only those defined in the regs can 'legally' have them.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby MGF » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:39 am

James wrote:Found out yesterday, the London Air Ambulance Service use blue lights on response vehicles.

:?

Why do they have response vehicles? (apart from the obvious).
MGF

Postby James » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:02 am

Apparently they are used to ferry casualties to and fro... This was a private Land Rover marked up and driven by a doctor.
James

Postby jasonh » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:58 am

MGF wrote:
James wrote:Found out yesterday, the London Air Ambulance Service use blue lights on response vehicles.

:?

Why do they have response vehicles? (apart from the obvious).

The response cars are used to get the doctors about when the helicopter can't fly; if I remember correctly, unless things have changed they cannot fly at night, but use the cars to get to the scene.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby Standard Dave » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:03 pm

It's my understanding from a conversation I had with one of the Doctors from HEMS in London that the car is used in poor weather, when the incident is very close to the hospital (London Free?) in darkness or other times when the aircraft is grounded due to defects, maintence or pilots.

The cars they use are I think Skodas which replaced Subarus, they claim ambulance purpose and are dispatched by London ambulance control room in response to 999 calls that might need the skills of an A+E doctor/ surgeon who has skill above those of a paramedic or emergency care practicioner. They also travel to back up papramedics if requested like the medical teams and other ambulance helicopters working for ambulance services and hospitals around the country.

The flying squad car at Lincoln County hospital has both blue and green lights on it's light bar.
Standard Dave

Postby Robserver » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:33 pm

The IAM magazine had a feature on this a while back which had the following.

Police
Ambulance
Fire Brigade
Fire Salvage
Forestry Commision Fire Vehicle
Bomb Disposal
Navel Nuclear Monitoring
RAF Mountain Rescue Service
Blood Transfusion Service
HM Coastguard
Mine Rescue
RNLI Lifeboat Launcher
Human Tissue Transplant
RAF Armament support

14 in total
In the beginning was the word and the word was ROADCRAFT
Robserver

Postby crr003 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Robserver wrote:The IAM magazine had a feature on this a while back ........14 in total

Well that must be correct then!
crr003

Postby James » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:42 am

There is no definitive list, the above is true but there are others...
James

Postby jasonh » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 am

Can we count those young guys who drive around with blue LEDs all over the place? :D
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby vonhosen » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:27 am

James wrote:There is no definitive list, the above is true but there are others...

There is a definitive list of who can use blue lights, it's those defined in the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs. Anyone who doesn't fall into those categories is using them illegally & anyone can qualify to use them illegally if they are willing to risk prosecution. Attempting to break the categories within the Road Vehicle Lighting Regs down into further sub sets in order to try & make up another category (when they already fall into the wider defined category with the Regs) is frankly a pointless exercise IMHO.

If somebody believes they fall into one of the RVLR groups & the Police don't believe they do resulting in prosecution, then it will be a matter for a court to rule if they do satisfy RVLR conditions. That's the list that allows you to use them & the list that you must qualify to be on.
vonhosen

Postby James » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:56 pm

So who is on this list then Von?
James

Postby vonhosen » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Only an emergency vehicle as defined by Reg 3 RVLR 1989 can.

Fire Brigade
Ambulance
Police

SOCA

A vehicle owned by a body formed primarily for the purposes of fire salvage and used for those or similar purposes.

A vehicle owned by the Forestry Commission or by a local authority and used from time to time for the purposes of fighting fires.

A vehicle owned or operated by the Secretary of State for Defence and used-
(i) for the purposes of the disposal of bombs or explosives,
(ii) for the purpose of any activity-
(a) which prevents or decreases the exposure of persons to radiation arising from a radiation accident or radiation emergency, or
(b) in connection with any event which could lead to a radiation accident or radiation emergency;
(iii) by the Royal Air Force Mountain Rescue Service for the purposes of rescue operations or any other emergencies.

A vehicle primarily used for the purposes of the Blood Transfusion Service provided under the National Health Service Act 1977 or under the National Health Service (Scotland) Act 1978.

A vehicle used by Her Majesty's Coastguard or Coastguard Auxiliary Service for the purposes of giving aid to persons in danger or vessels in distress on or near the coast.

A vehicle owned by the British Coal Corporation and used for the purposes of rescue operations at mines.

A vehicle owned by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution and used for the purposes of launching lifeboats.

A vehicle primarily used for the purposes of conveying any human tissue for transplanting or similar purposes.

A vehicle under the lawful control of the Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and used from time to time for the investigation of serious crime.
vonhosen

Postby martynH » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:41 pm

BASICS and other immediate care scheme doctors (and other health professionals ) use blues as they are 'ambulance purposes' if dispatched by the NHS ambulance service or as part of event EMS

OOH GP doctors and any on call hospital doctor using lights uses greens (and doesn't have exemptions ) because it;s not an ambulance purpose
martynH

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum