Police Drivers Cleared of Death by Dangerous !!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Are single-crewed units allowed to operate Vascar?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MGF » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:31 pm

zadocbrown wrote:
MGF wrote:If this was a small error then why the disciplinary?

Naseem Malik, IPCC Commissioner for the North West.

"It was clear from our independent investigation that the driving of these two officers fell well below the required standard," she said.

"It is essential that lessons are learned and action is taken to ensure the standards expected of police drivers are maintained".

Seems to me that if it was a small and inevitable error then any attempt to avoid it in the future is futile.

As I said, they made the serious error of driving in such a way that a small error (the 2nd car went slightly faster round a bend) resulted in a fatality. They were presumably disciplined for creating a dangerous situation rather than misjudging one bend.

I didn't read 'routinely putting ourselves in situations' as being 'a serious error' although with such a qualification it does make sense.

As we cannot guarantee not to make small errors we (and this includes Police advanced drivers) should drive in a way that these small errors will not have serious consequences.

Indeed, Roadcraft appears to have this as an underlying theme evidenced perhaps by the need to avoid BGOL and use 'pull-push'.
MGF

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:19 pm

I have been stopped by a single crew marked volvo s60 in 05 and he used vascar to get my average speed.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Stephen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:44 pm

It is still the case today that a single crewed officer can operate and stop you if you are speeding,however,as far as I am aware that in training environment there is always two students in a car to allow them to concentrate on the job in hand,most forces i know wont run a course unless there is enough to fill the course criteria.
When I did mine there was an instructor in each car,which would make sense as how does the student(s) know if they are carrying out the checks correctly etc.
Stephen
Stephen

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum