Group Bicker about Police, Driving and Politics...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:So you would choose to ignore both these pieces fo advice.

If it was safe to do so, yes! I certainly wouldn't hold them up further by quoting guidelines and generally obstructing them where imho, it was unnecessary. When I've ignored these guidelines in the past, most of the drivers have shown their appreciation.

Chris

At this set of lights there have been umpteen fatals hence the red lights cameras. It was a roundabout that worked but somone decided to change it two 60 sets of lights.

Its seems crazy to risk your life for a blue light driver to me.

Its the granny is wealthy get it right if your going to take the mick.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby michael769 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:54 am

James wrote:Its true, if you break the law getting out the way of an emergency service vehicle thy wont entertain you. I wouldnt go out my way to do it, would leave it to the emergency vehicle to make the right choice. Its the system thats at fault and I dont want to be a victim of it.

Indeed. Had parliment wanted motorists to violate red lights in these circumstances the act would have specifically permitted it.
michael769

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:39 am

Red Herring wrote:Gosh that's worrying. I guess what I'll do next time is get out, walk back and ask the driver where he is going and ask to see his qualifications.
That way I'll sleep easier at night knowing that I've done the public spirited thing. We are slowly working around to the sort of society we deserve, the one where nobody wants to make a personal decision in case somebody else asks them to justify it. Personally I prefer to live a little, and I stand by my previous statement as to what I would do.

Just because you read it in the IAM magazine doesn't make it right. You don't really expect the IAM to offer any kind of advice that might be remotely practical do you, especially if it might involve some controversy around the law. What do YOU think is the right thing to do?

I should have qualified my statement about the IAM magazine. I was not quoting it as an authority on all matters (or any matters, really), I was merely stating where I'd read this.

In terms of the right thing to do, I'm pointing out that sometimes the right thing to do might be to wait at the red lights until they turn green.
Custom24

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:49 am

Custom24 wrote:
Red Herring wrote:Gosh that's worrying. I guess what I'll do next time is get out, walk back and ask the driver where he is going and ask to see his qualifications.
That way I'll sleep easier at night knowing that I've done the public spirited thing. We are slowly working around to the sort of society we deserve, the one where nobody wants to make a personal decision in case somebody else asks them to justify it. Personally I prefer to live a little, and I stand by my previous statement as to what I would do.

Just because you read it in the IAM magazine doesn't make it right. You don't really expect the IAM to offer any kind of advice that might be remotely practical do you, especially if it might involve some controversy around the law. What do YOU think is the right thing to do?

I should have qualified my statement about the IAM magazine. I was not quoting it as an authority on all matters (or any matters, really), I was merely stating where I'd read this.

In terms of the right thing to do, I'm pointing out that sometimes the right thing to do might be to wait at the red lights until they turn green.

Or as some selfless people would have you do, drive through the light in a blind panic possibly picking up 3 points and £60 goverment tax as the light is red to stop traffic because there is a need for traffic control. As you don't know what the emergency they are responsding to and to put your self at risk and in some cases your lively is wahta good selfess citizen should do as they could be a life threatening situation.

They where responding to RTC on the m5 as it turned out they needn't of bothered as the highways where there and had closed teh motorway and made fun with their shiney cones and silver blankets oh and there pretty lights amber and red.

Sorry jeremy clarkson sarcasma coming through there!
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Or as some selfless people would have you do, drive through the light in a blind panic possibly picking up 3 points and £60 goverment tax as the light is red to stop traffic because there is a need for traffic control.

Blind panic does not come into it, no matter which you decide to do. In fairness, I don't think anyone was suggesting it did.
Custom24

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Custom The person who moved out the way in this case seemed panic'ed by the police car honking his horn to chnage his siren tone several times and shot forward looked like a panic'ed manouver to me.

Although some people may check its clear and then proceedwith caution in my experience getting on someones tail in and cycling through siren tones could cause some drivers to make a rash and panic'ed manouver.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:33 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Custom The person who moved out the way in this case seemed panic'ed by the police car honking his horn to chnage his siren tone several times and shot forward looked like a panic'ed manouver to me.

Although some people may check its clear and then proceedwith caution in my experience getting on someones tail in and cycling through siren tones could cause some drivers to make a rash and panic'ed manouver.

JB, I was referring to the options open to us as drivers, not to what you saw that time. Having said that, I do accept that I might be intimidated into making a bad decision if I had been the driver in front of the blues. I like to think not, but when it has happened, I have felt intimidated.
Custom24

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:45 pm

Custom24 wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Custom The person who moved out the way in this case seemed panic'ed by the police car honking his horn to chnage his siren tone several times and shot forward looked like a panic'ed manouver to me.

JB, I was referring to the options open to us as drivers, not to what you saw that time. Having said that, I do accept that I might be intimidated into making a bad decision if I had been the driver in front of the blues. I like to think not, but when it has happened, I have felt intimidated.

I have a little but I normally see/hear them coming and have time to plan my course of action to get out of the way, its is shame alot of drivers seem to wait till there right on their tail and then do something ad hoc.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:23 pm

It doesn't have to be a choice between running the red light and just sitting there. If you've kept space around you there should be room for manouevre without doing anything illegal, still less putting your safety at risk.
zadocbrown

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:26 pm

No in this case it was a one lane turning lane with high kerbs either side so no chance its forward or backward into the police car.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Stephen » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Was there only the one car in the right turn lane,and as you say the police car went into the ghost area,then perhaps he was wanting the MOP to reverse back slightly so that he could get through without any one getting into trouble I have done this before,and it seems to work fine.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby firstmk1 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:14 pm

What about crossing the line but not the junction? Still illegal but doesn't have to be dangerous and could create the space needed.
Ian
firstmk1

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:43 pm

zadocbrown wrote:It doesn't have to be a choice between running the red light and just sitting there. If you've kept space around you there should be room for manouevre without doing anything illegal, still less putting your safety at risk.

Spot on. When first in the queue at lights, I used to try to leave myself back maybe 4 feet from the line, not so much so that other motorists would get upset or even notice, to give myself more options if the blue lights did present themselves. But recently I've been forgetting to do this. Thanks for reminding me. :D

I never actually got the situation where I could test the usefulness of this, but more options are always good. Does anyone else do something like this? How much space is a useful amount to leave without upsetting others?
Custom24

Postby Red Herring » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:05 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Its seems crazy to risk your life for a blue light driver to me.

Fortunately they are quite prepared to risk theirs for yours, or your families, or anybody else for that matter.
Red Herring

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Custom24 wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:It doesn't have to be a choice between running the red light and just sitting there. If you've kept space around you there should be room for manouevre without doing anything illegal, still less putting your safety at risk.

Spot on. When first in the queue at lights, I used to try to leave myself back maybe 4 feet from the line, not so much so that other motorists would get upset or even notice, to give myself more options if the blue lights did present themselves. But recently I've been forgetting to do this. Thanks for reminding me. :D

I never actually got the situation where I could test the usefulness of this, but more options are always good. Does anyone else do something like this? How much space is a useful amount to leave without upsetting others?

Dunno about the answer to your last question, but the basic idea is good. Thanks. This forum is quite splendid, innit? :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum