Fifth Gear last night (mock driving test)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:09 am

waremark wrote:
vonhosen wrote:It's a defined outcome the DSA are looking for.

Do you consider that this also applies to the agreed definition of advanced driving? Is systematic an outcome or is it prescriptive as to method?

We all develop some system, but using 'The System' is prescriptive.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby daz6215 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:17 am

waremark wrote:
daz6215 wrote:This scenario surprises me because the DSA have opposite views with regards to positioning etc...

No they don't. As mentioned earlier the DSA is not narrowly prescriptive. You can drive in the same style which will get you a rospa diploma and score a perfect result on a DIA advanced or Cardington test. However, if you use what JB considers to be advanced techniques on a novice driving test and you do it badly you will fail. Therefore Adi's do not teach those tehniques to learners.

Since less than half the organizations who have signed up to the agreed definition of advanced driving positively look for those techniques it seems fairly clear that they are not an essential part of advanced driving. The essentials are observation, anticipation, consideration, accuracy and so on.

I tthink you should accept that those who pass any sort of advanced test are advanced drivers, and you should not assume that one kind are any better than another kind. Nor should you care.

Having not done Cardington i stand corrected but it does differ to what they want for L test.
daz6215

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:44 am

vonhosen wrote:
waremark wrote:
vonhosen wrote:It's a defined outcome the DSA are looking for.

Do you consider that this also applies to the agreed definition of advanced driving? Is systematic an outcome or is it prescriptive as to method?

We all develop some system, but using 'The System' is prescriptive.

That probably be because my teacher inists rightly or wrongly on rigid adherance to the system.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby JamesAllport » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

I didn't change my positioning for my ADI Part 2. There wasn't an opportunity to offside strongly although I did straight line a couple of empty roundabouts. If there had been a great opprtunity to go fully offside on entry to a left hander, I don't know what I would have done. But I was certainly out towards the centre line on left handers, and tucked away on entry to RH bends. I just tried not to overdo it.

I didn't double de-clutch, which I normally would on most downchanges, and I didn't accelerate quite as hard (i.e. didn't use full throttle) from 30 limits into NSLs where I ordinarily would. I was disappointed by that, because I had promised myself that I wouldn't change anything and would just see what happened. Blame test nerves.

Incidentally, <off topic> I think an awful lot of civillians sometimes overdo positioning for bends when driving within the speed limits. I include myself in that. <off topic>
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:16 pm

My rational for following the system is that Class 1 Advanced Police Drivers use roadcraft (Or should do in my opinion as they are taught it) and so if the system is considered good enough for that application I use it.

I have to conceed that there are alot of people under the advance banner who dont follow the system.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:44 pm

When I did it, I didn't spare the horses. When it came to E-stop time, the examiner (t'wasn't Geoff D, but one of Geoff D's underlings) hadn't realised that the chosen beast was a little sporty, which combined with the NSL resulted in an anchors out stop from 60 mph. As he unpeeled himself from the dashboard, I heard the heartfelt statement 'thank you, I won't ask you to do that again'.

Just LMAO...... :D

Your making me want to become an adi just for the part ii

What car did you do yrs in dave?

When I did my driving test it was in n reg micra 1.0 with good old tiny disc and drum no abs, eba or ebd I have to stop without skidding so alot of modern learners dont have that to contend with until they pass, or not at all.

Of course rigid adherance to the system can work a certain talented amauter wouldn't have achived what he has hadn't not.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum