Ive joined RoSPA!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 pm

That's rubbish, Ross. Your group should be concerned about its future if it's unable to offer an observer after that long, and endeavouring to train more tutors. One way to stir things up is to stand for election and join the committee, then you can start to get things moving in the right direction. I can understand, however, if you feel you deserve something from them, first...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby waremark » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:09 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:I want a gold pass.

That probably requires making sure that I'm not doing something I shouldn't :-)

Although I'm quite big-headed enough to assume I'd get a gold...I want one of 'them' to tell me I would :-)

Is it you who has done an HPC entry course with Andy. If so, since he is a Rospa examiner, you can be fairly confident he will be happy to give you Gold if you take the test with him!
waremark

Postby michael769 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:56 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:That's rubbish, Ross. Your group should be concerned about its future if it's unable to offer an observer after that long, and endeavouring to train more tutors.

Assuming that they are able to find enough members willing to get activly involved. My group had a 9 month waiting list when I joined which spiraled (despite several attempts to get more tutors onboard) to 2 years. Thankfully it is coming down as we get more tutors involved (yours truly is starting the process in a few weeks time), but is has been an uphill struggle for the new comittee.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:09 am

I've already told them I'd be willing to Tutor when I'm through the test (and am doing the IAM Obs training currently)

Mark, yes Andy and I have spent some time together - can you request specific examiners?
Octy_Ross

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:54 pm

You can request an area for your test ;)

Don't necessarily expect Gold as a given, though. The examiner has to wear the hat of the organisation they're examining for, and you have to drive to your potential during the exam.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Porker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:can you request specific examiners?

Surely the aim should be to drive to such a standard that you'll be rated Gold irrespective of who the examiner is?

regards
P.
Porker

Postby Gareth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Andy and I have spent some time together

Why not phone him sometime and ask how you would've done on a RoADAR test? ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Porker wrote:
Octy_Ross wrote:can you request specific examiners?

Surely the aim should be to drive to such a standard that you'll be rated Gold irrespective of who the examiner is?

regards
P.

Of course, but as I understand it some examiners have slightly different views on things.
Octy_Ross

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Of course, but as I understand it some examiners have slightly different views on things.

Well, if you don't get Gold the first time, it will give you something to work on?
Your re-test examiner could be someone different anyway.
crr003

Postby GS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:I've already told them I'd be willing to Tutor when I'm through the test (and am doing the IAM Obs training currently)

Mark, yes Andy and I have spent some time together - can you request specific examiners?

If Andy examined you, and you did get a Gold, don't you think that might leave your result open to question?

Examined by the same person he, presumably, paid hundreds of pounds to to train him and then gets a good mark! I dare say that some (lots?) of people might think that you bought the result.

I would also say that many might think it wrong if Andy was allowed to examine you in these circumstances anyway. I think if your test was assigned to him he might have to declare a conflict of interest and have the test reassigned.

That way Andy's independence could not be questioned, and your result would also be above doubt.

Requesting an examiner is not allowed and I know that when there has been a suggestion or allegation of this in the past the RoSPA Chief Examiner has not been very impressed.
GS
GS

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:02 pm

GS wrote:If Andy examined you, and you did get a Gold, don't you think that might leave your result open to question?

not really - I'd value his opinion as an independent examiner in this regard, in my opinion he's more than independent enough to do an honest job.

GS wrote:Examined by the same person he, presumably, paid hundreds of pounds to to train him and then gets a good mark! I dare say that some (lots?) of people might think that you bought the result.

Some people are entirely within their rights to be wrong ;-)

GS wrote:I would also say that many might think it wrong if Andy was allowed to examine you in these circumstances anyway. I think if your test was assigned to him he might have to declare a conflict of interest and have the test reassigned.

He quite probably would, and I wouldn't dream of putting him in that awkward situation. However I vaguely recall part of his report from my driving with him in April stating that my driving was about rospa gold level. I wasn't aware that he was a rospa examiner, until someone here mentioned it.

GS wrote:That way Andy's independence could not be questioned, and your result would also be above doubt.

either way, both would be beyond reproach, as far as I'm concerned.

GS wrote:Requesting an examiner is not allowed and I know that when there has been a suggestion or allegation of this in the past the RoSPA Chief Examiner has not been very impressed.

And quite right too, in honesty, I'd probably request the examiner who passed the least number of golds, just so I could bump his numbers up a little ;-)

So, GS, ever in the MK area doing mock tests or anything useful for a man in this position?!
Octy_Ross

Postby GS » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:11 pm

I'm a bit further south than MK.

However if you are ever in the WGC area give me a shout.
GS
GS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 pm

I have this evening had a conversation with my local IAM. He advised me IAM Chelmsford offer what is called a 'drive check', where you have an hour observation and then can decide whether membership is what you want. I think this is a really good idea :)! for me i joined RoSPA coz it was a cheaper initially, then if i decided i wasnt quite ready i would not have lost alot!! I am going to have the 'drive check' to get an observer opinion on my driving. I know that either way I will be doing advanced at some stage, hopefully sooner rather than later. Not keen on waiting months to be observed though! Lets hope the groups I have joined have shorter waiting lists :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:43 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:I have this evening had a conversation with my local IAM. He advised me IAM Chelmsford offer what is called a 'drive check', where you have an hour observation and then can decide whether membership is what you want. I think this is a really good idea

Careful here - is it FREE??
Some groups charge for drive check and then take that cost off your skill for life package but if you do not take up the SFL, you end up out of pocket !!
Other groups do not believe in charging for drive check so do a FREE assessment instead - same thing, different name :wink:

IMO, drive check is a stupid idea as many do not take it up because it costs and therefore the IAM are maybe losing out.
Give a driver something for FREE and they tend to take more of an interest..........
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:01 pm

ROG wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:I have this evening had a conversation with my local IAM. He advised me IAM Chelmsford offer what is called a 'drive check', where you have an hour observation and then can decide whether membership is what you want. I think this is a really good idea

Careful here - is it FREE??
Some groups charge for drive check and then take that cost off your skill for life package but if you do not take up the SFL, you end up out of pocket !!
Other groups do not believe in charging for drive check so do a FREE assessment instead - same thing, different name :wink:

IMO, drive check is a stupid idea as many do not take it up because it costs and therefore the IAM are maybe losing out.
Give a driver something for FREE and they tend to take more of an interest..........

In my case the option of a 'drive check' would very likely have been helpful. It seems like a good idea to me, and I don't see why it would cost the IAM much, as I imagine it would be covered by a bit of extra (unpaid) time by an Observer.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum