Roadcraft

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:35 pm

TripleS wrote: Yes, but what worries me is that some of what I think I know might turn out to be wrong. I think it is best for readers to consider a variety of advice before deciding in their own good time what makes most sense in relation to what they are trying to achieve.

Indeed!

Part of what I 'do' is to try and spread the knowledge - but alongside that I try to improve it, often by exploring parallels or alternatives.

eg Although my 'background' as a civvie is Roadcraft-biased, I took a fair amount of time and effort to get to know, and qualify in, US-based methods and techniques. Then I put those into use in my own training, and started to promulgate the information as widely as possible. Not everyone agreed - but one or two 'antis' very publicly stated how much they'd benefitted - and how UK training was behind the times!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:38 pm

TripleS wrote:I think it is best for readers to consider a variety of advice before deciding in their own good time what makes most sense in relation to what they are trying to achieve.

I think that whether or not this is good advice depends to a large extent on what level they are currently at. For a relatively inexperienced driver it almost certainly makes good sense to try to take on board all the advice of a very experienced coach. Only at a much later stage and when the understand the pro's and con's would I advise them to pick and choose which advice they think works for them.
waremark

Postby Horse » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 pm

waremark wrote:
TripleS wrote:I think it is best for readers to consider a variety of advice before deciding in their own good time what makes most sense in relation to what they are trying to achieve.

I think that whether or not this is good advice depends to a large extent on what level they are currently at.

Or whether they have particular problems.

Sometimes it's a case of 'improving', other times 'fixing' - but even then the advice can overlap or come from the same roots.

Edit: But I see one of the key elements to be that the person involved doesn't just get 'taught' (and true 'coaching' doesn't involve 'telling'), but learns to be self-aware, to be able to determine how well they are doing and assess whether things they try work or not.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:01 am

waremark wrote:For a relatively inexperienced driver it almost certainly makes good sense to try to take on board all the advice of a very experienced coach.

I think this is why I find this forum so helpful.

Horse wrote: But I see one of the key elements to be that the person involved doesn't just get 'taught' (and true 'coaching' doesn't involve 'telling'), but learns to be self-aware, to be able to determine how well they are doing and assess whether things they try work or not.

My Adi (no5) - the one who got me through my test- has similar teaching method, which at times could be really annoying, as he was forever asking 'why' i did this or 'what did i think about that situation' and could I of handled such and such better. This has definately helped me to be the driver I am..and gave me the anticipation and awareness I now have :D ...and probably the determination to keep on learning :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Horse » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:33 am

x-Sonia-x wrote: My Adi (no5) - the one who got me through my test- has similar teaching method, which at times could be really annoying, as he was forever asking 'why' i did this or 'what did i think about that situation' and could I of handled such and such better. This has definately helped me to be the driver I am..and gave me the anticipation and awareness I now have :D ...and probably the determination to keep on learning :D

Oddly, I like it when a trainee asks me 'Why?'

Not because it gives me an opportunity to shine ;) but because if I can't justify or explain then I need to rethink or redefine the technique or training. The result is usually clarity for both of us, and future trainees.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:42 pm

waremark wrote:

I think that whether or not this is good advice depends to a large extent on what level they are currently at. For a relatively inexperienced driver it almost certainly makes good sense to try to take on board all the advice of a very experienced coach. Only at a much later stage and when they understand the pro's and con's would I advise them to pick and choose which advice they think works for them.

OK, that's a useful improvement on what I said; but when the novice becomes more experienced and acquires a better feel for judging things I would hope everything remains open for review - and possible alteration - even those things they accepted without question in the earlier stages of their driving development.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:52 pm

TripleS wrote:OK, that's a useful improvement on what I said; but when the novice becomes more experienced and acquires a better feel for judging things I would hope everything remains open for review - and possible alteration - even those things they accepted without question in the earlier stages of their driving development.

I do class myself as a novice..definately...but I also do question situations and events, simply coz thats the way I am :wink: ...but then again I think that is human nature anyway, we learn from the knowledge we are given and how we choose to use that information is on a personal basis. At this stage of my driving I am more than willing to take onboard as much info as anyone is prepared to offer :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum