Driving in Snow!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Renny » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:32 pm

Good advice Andrew. I do like the Autoglym window cleaner as it does exactly as you describe. It also reduces the misting inside.
Another good product to stop misting is the Fog-X (Rain-X) which I've just recently used on the Fabia. It has greatly reduced the misting up inside the screen which is greatly improved things as the heater/demister is awful due to the diesel engine being slow to warn up unbless under load.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby GJD » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:The glass cleaner I recommend is AutoGlym 06B Glass Cleaner which is also available in retail bottles branded as AutoGlym Car Glass Polish.

There's a coincidence - I bought myself a bottle of that yesterday. I've not used it yet. How do you find it on the inside of the windscreen? The last product I tried there was a spray-on AutoGlym glass cleaner and I found it certainly cleaned as well as I wanted, but in direct sunlight it was still smeary.

Gavin
GJD

Postby Renny » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:18 pm

It cleans well and polishes out fine. Make sure the polishing cloth isn't contaminated though.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:52 pm

The trick with the AutoGlym Window Clean (Retail version is AutoGlym Fast Glass (spray)) is to use absorbent paper towels to properly dry the window rather than using a cotton cloth. 06B Glass Cleaner (Retail version is AutoGlym Car Glass Polish (cream)) does a better job in most cases and does make the de-misters job easier and more efficient. Do not use 06B on coated mirrors or acrylics, AutoGlym Window Clean works well on these surfaces. When using either product for best results the surface needs to be dry and moisture levels need to be minimised which can be achieved on interior surfaces by running the engine and heaters during the job being careful not to attract the attention of short sighted enviro-mentalists who think that running your engine for 5 minutes performing a vital piece of safety related vehicle maintenance will cost the earth whilst melting down the whole car and building a new one is good for the environment.
If keeping moisture and condensation away is impossible for example on the single glassed rear window on Van Hool Alizee's or all of the passenger windows on Salvador Caetano Optimo V's, using a hand spray bottle of AutoGlym Year Round Screenwash (Retail version is AutoGlym Quick Clear Screenwash) diluted to 1:9 with water and a squeegee or FlexiBlade is an effective method of quickly cleaning windows.

Recently a mechanic at my work refused to drive my assigned coach on my day off because it was too clean.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Renny » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:08 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:Recently a mechanic at my work refused to drive my assigned coach on my day off because it was too clean.

That is a good sign on both sides. I remember being often tasked with driving one particular driver's truck when he was off on holiday for similar reasons. I used to spend a week trying desperatly not to get anything mucky or do any damage. Unfortunately we used to have a few that I had to park beside the skip and empty before I took it out. I also remember getting my truck back filthy after it had been used by somebody else.
Renny
MM0KOZ
BMW 118d Sport Image

Renny

Postby fungus » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:50 pm

[quote="x-Sonia-x"]Ive been thinking about this all night . If this was the case would the ABS be disabled for a reason, say because there was a fault, or because the owner didnt want it??? Would I be able to get it fixed?? But most importantly are the brakes safe without ABS if it should of had it in the first place?? - this car is soooooo annoying [/quote]

Sonia, it's my understanding that a malfunction in the ABS should not affect normal braking.

It is possible to find out whether your car is fitted with ABS or other systems, by making a note of the VIN (vehicle identification number) and asking a dealer, not the one you bought the car from though. :x If they are obliging they will enter the VIN number into their computer and it will show whether you have it or not.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jamei » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:50 pm

Having found myself unable to drive up short ,sharp inclines a couple of times over the last few days (Ford Focus with ~3mm left on tyres I should have changed before it snowed :oops: ) I found the following to be most effective:

ESP off, press the gas peddle until there's a burning smell, and throw the steering wheel all over the place. :twisted:

On both occasians this got me out of otherwise being marooned in the countryside, and I'd previously carefully tried every trick in the book to get up the hills. (higher gear, zig zagging, driving on the grippy bits etc...)
jamei

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:03 pm

...and if you find that you are badly understeering a short application of the handbrake can get you out of trouble.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:01 pm

fungus wrote:Sonia, it's my understanding that a malfunction in the ABS should not affect normal braking.

It is possible to find out whether your car is fitted with ABS or other systems, by making a note of the VIN (vehicle identification number) and asking a dealer, not the one you bought the car from though. If they are obliging they will enter the VIN number into their computer and it will show whether you have it or not.

Thanx for that, I will give it a go, it does say in my handbook that ABS is fitted, but then the handbook covers more than just my model :?

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:Another thing to consider, normally when you clean your windows both inside and out avoid household window cleaners, most have silicons and waxes designed to impart a shining appearance, those will cause terrible smearing of your vision in a lot of conditions. Always use a glass cleaner which is designed specifically for automotive windscreen application

Do you know I always use me normal indoor glass cleaner :twisted: :twisted: thats why me windows are always smeary :twisted: :lol: I have looked in Halfords but when you go in there, you see shelf after shelf of potions and lotions I never know what I should be using :lol: :lol: Think I will give your Autoglym Glass Cleaner a try though :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby mitchr » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 pm

Renny wrote:Another good product to stop misting is the Fog-X (Rain-X) which I've just recently used on the Fabia. It has greatly reduced the misting up inside the screen which is greatly improved things as the heater/demister is awful due to the diesel engine being slow to warn up unbless under load.

Renny,

I've been meaning to get some stuff to stop misting so your post reminded me to order some :) I use the rain-x and find it great at improving visibility so hopefully the fog-x stuff will be as good. I've got a diesel as well and it does take a wee while to clear the windscreen - started using a demister pad but find that leaves the window quite streaky.

Mitch
mitchr

Postby MGF » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Despite all the amazing technology car makers come up with they still haven't solved the basics such as windscreens that don't mist up. Maybe this is an are that deserves some more attention as visibility is quite an important part of driving.
MGF

Postby Octy_Ross » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I normally used to use plain vinegar to clean the windows then make sure a good layer of rain-x is on them too.

now have rain-x window cleaner, it's good but needs to be given a spurt of water followed by a wiping down in the same way that normal rain-x requires.

mist-x is OK, not brilliant, didn't notice any real improvement.

now also have rain-x windscreen wash - only the first top up so far but results are positive.
Octy_Ross

Postby GJD » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:43 pm

chriskay wrote:I understand that Ford holds the patent on heated front screens. When I had a Mondeo I didn't have any trouble with misting.

I believe (but only from chat with a colleague) that the relevant patent is not far from expiring. If so, perhaps heated front screens will soon be more widespread.

Gavin
GJD

Postby Porker » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:12 pm

GJD wrote:I believe (but only from chat with a colleague) that the relevant patent is not far from expiring. If so, perhaps heated front screens will soon be more widespread.

Gavin

I do hope so - they're excellent.

Normal climate control/air conditioning isn't far off though - I've never had any misting problems on any car we've had that's been fitted with either of these.

P.
Porker

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:52 pm

I actually have a good thing to say about me C3.. :lol: ...its fantastic at demisting the windscreen, takes only a couple of minutes,even in the early hours of the morning :D

Now I looked at the prices of Autoglym Glass cleaner...its expensive!! But like anything I suppose you get what you pay for. Think I might try rain-x as Ive heard lots good comments about it. I have Halfords own screenwash and that works fine for me. If I wanted to be picky one thing that does annoy me, is that my windscreen wipers do not cover the whole screen, they leave about 3inch gap right infront of drivers window, that combined the big windscreen pillar, it really does make visiblity bad :mrgreen:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum