ADIs vs The Haterz

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:30 pm

adiNigel wrote: I see no reason why someone shouldn't be able to take the IAM test and therefore be exempt from having to take the lower DSA test. You don't have to take an o-level before taking an a-level, so why should driving be any different?

Nigel

Except the IAM won't let you take their test until 3 months after you've passed the DSA test.
Angus

Postby zadocbrown » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:20 pm

Angus wrote:
adiNigel wrote: I see no reason why someone shouldn't be able to take the IAM test and therefore be exempt from having to take the lower DSA test. You don't have to take an o-level before taking an a-level, so why should driving be any different?

Nigel

Except the IAM won't let you take their test until 3 months after you've passed the DSA test.

And how many people would choose to keep going on a provisional license until they pass AIM, when they could take the standard test and get their full license straight away?

I don't think many observers would be too keen on, "I've never driven before, but I want to go straight for the advanced test and not bother with DSA..." either.
zadocbrown

Postby Grumpyoldwoman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:02 pm

adiNigel wrote: I would like to see other organisations offer driving tests, though there would still need to be a body overseeing it all to ensure a minimum standard.

I see no reason why someone shouldn't be able to take the IAM test and therefore be exempt from having to take the lower DSA test. You don't have to take an o-level before taking an a-level, so why should driving be any different?

Nigel

Hello Nigel, :D

I'm so glad you typed that outloud :wink: - I agree.

I wouldn't call the DSA test the 'lower' test. As we know, it really is the 'no frills' basics, which is the minimum requirement as it stands, which everyone (ie, the Government) has been happy about all these years. Things have changed so much; new skills to be able to cope are required out there.

Perhaps the base being the GDE matrix and DSA/Mind Driving/Roadcraft mix for technique adapted/risk managed for inexperienced drivers (ie, no lateral cornering, no 'commando' overtakes etc... anything that requires experience). There's an awful lot in Mind Driving + Roadcraft that can be shared with 'trainee drivers' at the early stage; eye focus, observation, hazard awareness, all the subjects and logic encapsulated under the category of 'speed'.

Additionally, could you all you non-ADIs cope with ADIs that actually understand what advanced driving is all about :wink: because their training would have to change too. :shock: It would mean a helluva lot of donations to the IAM and RoSPA, so win win! :wink:

Ahhhh... 'Driving Utopia' would be such a wonderful thing :mrgreen:
Love Thy Neighbour; even if he has a machete...
Grumpyoldwoman

Postby Porker » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:07 pm

Grumpyoldwoman wrote:...no 'commando' overtakes...

:shock: :?:
Porker

Postby Grumpyoldwoman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:43 pm

Porker wrote:
Grumpyoldwoman wrote:...no 'commando' overtakes...

:shock: :?:

Hahaha, sorry Porker if that scared you. :shock: One of my trainers was an examiner of all sorts... his terminology not mine :D

Out and In with no D shape, I believe it refers to, not pantless :oops: :wink:
Grumpyoldwoman

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 pm

Grumpyoldwoman wrote: :D If they didn't learn how to flow with the traffic before their test, they wouldn't pass the test! IMO many new drivers are better than some current licence holders bar the experience of course. :shock: The driving instructor training has changed a lot these days btw! :wink:

I would argue that in fact motorists flow around the learners, which is not the same thing. Bearing in mind that many motorists are going to be travelling faster and more confidently than your average learner, it is inevitable. Either that or there is a long queue of vehicles wondering why they're travelling 10mph below the speed limit on a NSL road :?
Gromit37

Postby Grumpyoldwoman » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:05 pm

Gromit37 wrote:
Grumpyoldwoman wrote: :D If they didn't learn how to flow with the traffic before their test, they wouldn't pass the test! IMO many new drivers are better than some current licence holders bar the experience of course. :shock: The driving instructor training has changed a lot these days btw! :wink:

I would argue that in fact motorists flow around the learners, which is not the same thing. Bearing in mind that many motorists are going to be travelling faster and more confidently than your average learner, it is inevitable. Either that or there is a long queue of vehicles wondering why they're travelling 10mph below the speed limit on a NSL road :?

Mine don't... :shock: I get them UP there 'flowing around other learners' :D

Damn.. I must be doing it wrong then :wink:
Grumpyoldwoman

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:39 pm

You'll get a bad reputation if you teach bad habits like that! :wink:

Ian
Gromit37

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 am

zadocbrown wrote:I don't think many observers would be too keen on, "I've never driven before, but I want to go straight for the advanced test and not bother with DSA..." either.

I would agree. I wouldn't envisage an Observers role as being any different to what it is now - assisting full licence holders to reach a level whereby they could pass the IAM or RoSPA tests.

Teh same way a pupils in a school can choose which exam board to use I would see learners having a similar option, DSA, DIA, IAM, RoSPA etc. I would see parents or ADI's still doing teh training.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby GJD » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:11 pm

Gromit37 wrote: Either that or there is a long queue of vehicles wondering why they're travelling 10mph below the speed limit on a NSL road :?

It doesn't require a learner to bring that situation about...
GJD

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Gromit37 wrote:You'll get a bad reputation if you teach bad habits like that! :wink:

Ian

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby fungus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:56 pm

adiNigel wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:You'll get a bad reputation if you teach bad habits like that! :wink:

Ian

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

It irritates me when drivers pull out and then dither, especially when there's no vehicle following me.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 pm

fungus wrote:It irritates me when drivers pull out and then dither, especially when there's no vehicle following me.

Of course their dithering makes the overtake much easier ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby fungus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
fungus wrote:It irritates me when drivers pull out and then dither, especially when there's no vehicle following me.

Of course their dithering makes the overtake much easier ;)

Chris

Good point Chris
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

GJD wrote:
Gromit37 wrote: Either that or there is a long queue of vehicles wondering why they're travelling 10mph below the speed limit on a NSL road :?

It doesn't require a learner to bring that situation about...

I'm sure you are right... when I grow up to be a proper advanced driver I might be able to list a few other things too :wink:
Gromit37

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum