buying tyres

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby kfae8959 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:31 pm

Could a Camskill customer tell me how long the tyres take to arrive? I see they dispatch them the day you order, but I can't find the page that tells me the delivery time!

Thanks!

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:12 am

I think I received tyres within a couple of days when I ordered some about 10 months ago. Either next day or the day after, which was quite a surprise given the low carriage cost and the distance they'd traveled.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:03 am

Camskill send tyres with Citilink which arrived next day
7db

Postby GJD » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:21 am

Once they arrive from Camskill is it then down to you to toddle off to a fitter with your new tyres and pay the fitter to put them on the car? An option with Black Circles appears to be to pay for fitting at the time of oredering the tyres. They will deliver the tyres to a local fitter and I just need to turn up and get them fitted, having already paid. That didn't appear to be an option with Camskill but I might have missed it.
GJD

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:07 am

Yes - you make separate arrangements to get the tyres fitted. I phoned round various places to get a price, then ended up going to one that was conveniently close. I'd been concerned that the tyre fitting places wouldn't want to know, but they mostly seemed OK with it - after all, it's just business to them anyway. I found prices varied so it was worth phoning round.

In the event, perhaps partly because I wanted the tyres to fitted to new wheels and didn't need them fitted to the car, they ended up charging me about half the amount that'd been quoted over the phone!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Camskill are really good and nice helpful people too, providing they've got what you want. As others have said, your local tyre fitter will fit them for you. I'm impressed with Jason's prices down Dev'm, best I've ever managed was about £12/wheel IIRC. One time after I'd done this the local man asked me "why do you buy them like that, I could have done them for the same price?". Slightly deflated my desire for internet shopping and self-arranged fitting.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GJD » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:best I've ever managed was about £12/wheel IIRC.

That's the one piece of the puzzle I didn't have - any idea what a fitter would charge to fit tyres I'd bought elsewhere. Camskill price (inc delivery) was £19 less than Black Circles fitted so I'd need to find a fitter charging somewhere between yours and Jason's :)

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:One time after I'd done this the local man asked me "why do you buy them like that, I could have done them for the same price?"

I'll have to ask the bloke who's fitting mine. I've not found a fitter or garage yet who can come close to matching the internet price.
GJD

Postby jont » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:10 pm

GJD wrote:I'll have to ask the bloke who's fitting mine. I've not found a fitter or garage yet who can come close to matching the internet price.

I've found a couple of places round here that don't mind matching internet prices (I guess as they're making margin on the tyre too, they can afford to reduce their fitting charge)
jont

Postby martine » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:37 pm

kfae8959 wrote:Could a Camskill customer tell me how long the tyres take to arrive? I see they dispatch them the day you order, but I can't find the page that tells me the delivery time!

By concidence I ordered 2 tyres from Camskill yesterday at 1:30pm (after their next day cut-off time) and they arrived this morning...pretty good service! It's the second time I've used them - same experience last time...can't fault them and the tyres are £30 cheaper than my local tyre place who charge £10 to fit.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:55 pm

I have not used them myself but camskill get pretty good reviews over on the z4-forum too :D
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 pm

I normally go online get look at reviews and get a online price and then phone around playing them off against each other.

Sometimes tell the odd porkya nd normally they say I can match that or best I can do is fiver more balh blah. SO you have their best price.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:45 am

kfae8959 wrote:This internet thing seems good to me: I've been very pleased with blackcircles.com. I'm not sure what part of the East Midlands you're in, but Tyres Northampton is much favoured by Evo magazine, and there may be others on here who've got first-hand experience of their performance without commercial incentive.
David

Big tick from me for Tyres Northampton - You could prod me all day with a stick and I stilll couldn't think of anything bad to say about the guys.

I've been going there for 10 years now and quite a few of the guys there now, were there then so it would seem it's a good place to work too!!

Quick edit to through their url on here: http://www.tyresnorthampton.com/
Octy_Ross

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 am

Remind me to bring a large pointy stick to our next meeting :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Now that's impressive.

I've been planning to get some cold-weather tyres for my spare wheels for some time. I wanted to get them from new stock, ideally the current production run, but before the suppliers sold out or put the prices up. I'd been advised that cold-weather rubber goes into production in August, so I got in touch with Black Boots in Chesham to place an order last week. They didn't have any in stock, so seeing this thread, I got in touch with Camskills. I placed the order yesterday at 2.15, well after the 1 o'clock cut off.

This morning I got an email giving me the tracking reference, and made a note to check the website later today in the hope the tyres would arrive on Tuesday in time for me to get them fitted before Southall Discount Tyres closed. Half and hour ago, I thought I'd have a look to see where they were, and decided something was wrong because the site seemed to be saying they'd been delivered already, but they'd been signed for by a strange code number, not me! So, out of curiosity, I went to have a look in my designated safe place, and there they were - they'd been delivered at 8.20 this morning, sixteen hours after I placed the order. The payment hasn't even been taken off my card yet!

So on Tuesday, I can pop them and the wheels in the back of the minibus and be back in time for lunch with winter wheels ready to go on as soon as the temperature drops below 7°C. The lovely guys in Southall will only charge me £30 to fit all four, so my total expenditure will be £120 less than Black Boots quoted me!

Just one question: how should I store my spare wheels when they're not in use?

David
Last edited by kfae8959 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby jont » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:22 pm

kfae8959 wrote:Just one question: how should I store my spare wheels when they're not in use?

Flat (I'm now trying to work out a more descriptive way of working it without allowing 7db to pick holes in my description...) - ie so the sidewall is in contact with the ground rather than the usual contact patch.
jont

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum