Texting and driving

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 pm

GJD wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Why would anyone, not in the emergency services, need to have any telephonic communications with any other whilst driving?

What has need got to do with it?

At one time we never had the option to do so and we managed fine
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 pm

ROG wrote:
TripleS wrote:....but what would you do about the use of hand held communication devices by police drivers and ambulance drivers/paramedics etc.?

Ensure they had specific training for it

Yes, I realise that's the answer normally given, but I wonder how well it justifies the distinction between those who can, or can not, legally use hand held phones etc. Never mind, if that doesn't satisfy the critics one can always fall back on the line about the police purpose (or whatever) justifing the added risk. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:46 pm

ROG wrote:Mobile phones are a particular scourge on driving distraction which is why specific laws were brought in

Specific laws which are significantly less severe than a charge of careless or dangerous driving? £30 and 3 endorsement points doesn't really sound like we're tackling a "scourge" here...

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:10 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
ROG wrote:
TripleS wrote:....but what would you do about the use of hand held communication devices by police drivers and ambulance drivers/paramedics etc.?

Ensure they had specific training for it

Olden days, single crewed, in one hand a mic, the other hand, the steering wheel.
In pursuit.
Why would anyone, not in the emergency services, need to have any telephonic communications with any other whilst driving?
Simple, phones rings, you pull over and stop in a safe place, then respond.
I have never understood how so many are slave to the phone.

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of need or being a slave to the phone. It's just another device that we can make use of, and I would prefer us to be able to do that. All we need to do is confine ourselves to using it safely and sensibly.

There, you see, another problem solved. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:13 pm

ROG wrote:
GJD wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Why would anyone, not in the emergency services, need to have any telephonic communications with any other whilst driving?

Indeed, just as we managed fine without ABS, and ESP, and a load of other stuff that I'm probably not even aware of, let alone have, and understand and use to advantage.

Best wishes all,
Dave - just not 'with it' at all. :(
TripleS

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi, Im with Dave here..common sense is a wonderful tool...if only people could be taught to use it!!

Have a "hands free" day :lol:
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby GJD » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:51 pm

ROG wrote:
GJD wrote:

You could say that about any development of technology, given a suitable definition of "managing fine". I'm not sure it's relevant though. At one time we never had the option to travel in cars and we "managed fine". The fact that humanity happened to invent cars before it invented mobile phones doesn't seem to me to make a particularly compelling argument for prohibiting the use of mobile phones while driving. Neither, on its own, does the fact that the things that can be achieved by simultaneously using a mobile phone and driving, can sometimes also be achieved, albeit less easily or conveniently, without simultaneously using a mobile phone and driving.
GJD

Postby ROG » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Some invetions do not take away the concentration from the task of driving (ABS etc) but using a mobile phone does

To what extent largely depends on the driver doing it but the law was brought in because MOST drivers are deemed incapable of doing it safely
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm

ROG wrote:the law was brought in because MOST drivers are deemed incapable of doing it safely

Not really - there already were laws under which drivers could have been prosecuted - but the new specific law allowed easier prosecution because it relies less on the opinion of an observer.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

ROG wrote:Some inventions do not take away the concentration from the task of driving (ABS etc) but using a mobile phone does

To what extent largely depends on the driver doing it but the law was brought in because MOST drivers are deemed incapable of doing it safely

It inevitably diverts some concentration away from the task of driving, but I doubt if this is happening to an extent that should concern us. Granted there have been some serious accidents attributed to mobile phone usage, but overall I'd say drivers are coping quite well.

Once again I'd go for emphasising the dangers, and then leave people to decide for themselves. Making an all-embracing rule that seeks to impose a complete ban on the activity will not work anyhow. It simply can not be enforced. The more balanced approach would have been to use the existing sanctions based on "not under full control" or whatever the wording is.

...and again "....most drivers are deemed incapable...." Deemed by whom, and as a result of what research or studies? Something carried out by Brake, or others of like mind?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 pm

TripleS wrote:...and again "....most drivers are deemed incapable...." Deemed by whom, and as a result of what research or studies? Something carried out by Brake, or others of like mind?

BRAKE, Argh! :twisted: Don't get me started.

I am inclined to agree that there are adequate laws in place to deal with such offences, such as DWDCA, DD, etc. But having a specific offence makes prosecution far easier, as it is an absolute offence which can easily be proven with a photograph, rather like a fixed speed camera does. Where as DWDCA and DD is open to interpretation, namely that of the prosecuting officer.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby jont » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:56 pm

fungus wrote:I am inclined to agree that there are adequate laws in place to deal with such offences, such as DWDCA, DD, etc. But having a specific offence makes prosecution far easier, as it is an absolute offence which can easily be proven with a photograph, rather like a fixed speed camera does. Where as DWDCA and DD is open to interpretation, namely that of the prosecuting officer.

I didn't think it was the nature of the offence that was the problem - more that you can't deal with DWDCA/DD with a FPN, and the courts wouldn't cope with the volume of offences if FPNs hadn't been brought in (much the same as for speeding).
jont

Postby MGF » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:33 am

The mobile phone law was the consequence of the extraordinary growth in ownership over a few years. Driver distraction from using a mobile phone whilst driving,suddenly and significantly increased driver distraction generally. This inevitably led to an increase in serious accidents at a time when the government was actively trying to reduce casualties.

Of course there are many other distractions for drivers but these have been around for too long to make banning them politically viable.

Other types of radio are used so rarely that their effects on casualty figures are insignificant and perhaps more significantly, their use doesn't concern enough politician's to motivate them to do something about it. (I am sure we have all been inconvenienced by drivers using their phones whilst driving).
MGF

Postby Gareth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 am

MGF wrote:This inevitably led to an increase in serious accidents at a time when the government was actively trying to reduce casualties.

I'm not sure if either of those two assertions are necessarily true ... was there really an increase in serious accidents caused by mobile phone use, or was it that there was just a perception that that was the case? ... was the government actively trying to reduce casualties or did it just want to be 'seen' to be trying to reduce casualties?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

jont wrote:
fungus wrote:I am inclined to agree that there are adequate laws in place to deal with such offences, such as DWDCA, DD, etc. But having a specific offence makes prosecution far easier, as it is an absolute offence which can easily be proven with a photograph, rather like a fixed speed camera does. Where as DWDCA and DD is open to interpretation, namely that of the prosecuting officer.

I didn't think it was the nature of the offence that was the problem - more that you can't deal with DWDCA/DD with a FPN, and the courts wouldn't cope with the volume of offences if FPNs hadn't been brought in (much the same as for speeding).

Would there really have been such a large volume of such cases? Surely they need a police officer to spot them and decide to take action.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum