Reporting dangerous driving

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 am

Renny wrote:Scotland seems to differ. A mate received a NIP for dangerous Driving after overtaking a car who accelerated whilst he was alongside. The overtaken driver made a complaint with his passenger as witness.

Sounds like the car driver who was being overtaken should be the one done for dangerous. According to the highway code (168) "Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous."
jont

Postby jcochrane » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:09 pm

michael769 wrote:
jcochrane wrote:
I have a lot of respect for police drivers,having many times trained with them, and it is a demanding job. However, what upset me most about this was that whilst we all can make a mistake this police driver having made one bad judgement call immediately repeated the same error and only thanks to a member of the public was a serious accident avoided.

Gripe over. :)

Of course not all Police drivers have the same level of training. There are still several forces that allow officers to drive on blues and twos using the speed limit exemptions without any extra training beyond the DSA's L-Test.

Now that's what I call scarey. The incident I wrote about occured in the Met. so I assume they would at least have had rapid response training. I am out of touch though and maybe even the Met. has changed.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby michael769 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:47 am

jont wrote:
Renny wrote:Scotland seems to differ. A mate received a NIP for dangerous Driving after overtaking a car who accelerated whilst he was alongside. The overtaken driver made a complaint with his passenger as witness.

Sounds like the car driver who was being overtaken should be the one done for dangerous. According to the highway code (168) "Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous."

In Scotland speeding up whilst being overtaking is considered DD.

The problem here is that an allegation has been made by two individuals about dangerous overtaking and the police have found them sufficiently credible to feel that there is a reasonable prospect of obtaining a conviction based on their evidence (Was he involved in a injury/fatal collision?). You don't mention how it turned out (I assume it is still pending) but one would like to think that the Procurators Fiscal would feel that there is not enough independent corroboration to meet the requirements of the Criminal Law of Scotland, and failing that that a good defense lawyer would be able to put enough doubt about the independence of the two witnesses to cause the prosecution to fail due to lack of evidence.

Of course sometimes bad things happen to decent people and there but by the grace of god go we....
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum