BBC 1 Traffic Cops 8th Nov (8:00pm?)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Nigel » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:44 am

nuster100 wrote:I agree that talking on a mobile phone is dangerous. I would also argue that usuing a hands-free kits is just as dangerous. If you are talking to someone on the phone, then you arnt 100% focused on the road.

If with friends, they ansewr it. If i am on my own, I ignore it until i can stop somewhere that wont cause inconvienence to others.

Jay

I dissagree with your views on using mobile phones.

I use mine regularly, always legally, but the newish rules have actually made the usage more dangerous, same with the rules on eating or drinking whilst driving.

As for concentration levels, how often are you concentrating 100% on the road ?

I doubt I concentrate at that level very often, if at all.

A call on your mobile phone can be as beneficial as a break !
Nigel

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:20 am

Zenner wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:Dave if you honestly believe that talking on a handheld mobile phone isn't the most distracting and dangerous activity you can perform behind the wheel...that affects your concentration towards driving ... You are most certainly away with the fairies...

Just as using a radio or other two way comms unit is. In fact, police drivers who are in general on their way to urgent situations, and thinking about that situation and using their radio are at the highest risk of accident possible in terms of driver distraction, well above a normal motorist on their phone. I have seem terrible scenarios of police vehicles and vans talking on their radio, one handed steering round corners, almost hit a cyclist then wheelspinning away. But then as the Superintendant from Reigate who was caught on his mobile phone shows, its not just "on the job" driving that police officers get wrong.

Aaah..I see your cage has been rattled again..and you've roused yourself to have another pop at the cops...

You've been a member on here two and a half months and i've yet to read a positive or constructive post from you..

:roll:
Roadcraft

Postby Nigel » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:06 am

Coppers are as human as the rest of us, and make as many mistakes.

My naughty feelings are directed towards the scamera partnerships, not the police.

The police however do themselves no favours when they keep harping on about mobile phone use etc, as they aren't all class one's, and they do drive around talking on hand held phones....I've seen them.

Most forces two way radio's now are hands free (that I've seen), so quite why they are shown on tv still using old fashioned hand held radios....I'm not sure.
Nigel

Postby Zenner » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:17 am

Roadcraft wrote:
Zenner wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:Dave if you honestly believe that talking on a handheld mobile phone isn't the most distracting and dangerous activity you can perform behind the wheel...that affects your concentration towards driving ... You are most certainly away with the fairies...

Just as using a radio or other two way comms unit is. In fact, police drivers who are in general on their way to urgent situations, and thinking about that situation and using their radio are at the highest risk of accident possible in terms of driver distraction, well above a normal motorist on their phone. I have seem terrible scenarios of police vehicles and vans talking on their radio, one handed steering round corners, almost hit a cyclist then wheelspinning away. But then as the Superintendant from Reigate who was caught on his mobile phone shows, its not just "on the job" driving that police officers get wrong.

Aaah..I see your cage has been rattled again..and you've roused yourself to have another pop at the cops...

You've been a member on here two and a half months and i've yet to read a positive or constructive post from you..

And I have yet to read a post that is respectful from yourself...
-Driverskillz Stunt Driving Instructor
-BORDA Level 1 4 X 4
-ADI
Zenner

Postby Zenner » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:20 am

Nigel wrote:
The police however do themselves no favours when they keep harping on about mobile phone use etc, as they aren't all class one's, and they do drive around talking on hand held phones....I've seen them.

You have confused me? Why do you distinguish about them not all being class 1's? Are you suggesting that a class 1 wouldn't use their phone yet everyone else would?
-Driverskillz Stunt Driving Instructor
-BORDA Level 1 4 X 4
-ADI
Zenner

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:29 am

Zenner wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:
Zenner wrote:

And I have yet to read a post that is respectful from yourself...

Oh no, that's not right. My friend Roadcraft takes a fairly robust attitude to some subjects and he expresses himself accordingly, but there is usually a fair measure of respect in there as well....even when he strongly disapproves of my opinions!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby nuster100 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:13 am

Nigel wrote:
nuster100 wrote:I agree that talking on a mobile phone is dangerous. I would also argue that usuing a hands-free kits is just as dangerous. If you are talking to someone on the phone, then you arnt 100% focused on the road.

If with friends, they ansewr it. If i am on my own, I ignore it until i can stop somewhere that wont cause inconvienence to others.

Jay

I dissagree with your views on using mobile phones.

I use mine regularly, always legally, but the newish rules have actually made the usage more dangerous, same with the rules on eating or drinking whilst driving.

As for concentration levels, how often are you concentrating 100% on the road ?

Normally when the shit starts to hit the fan, as with the incident in the program.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:48 am

Zenner wrote:And I have yet to read a post that is respectful from yourself...

You therefore should have gone to 'Specsavers'

As the member TripleS and no doubt many others will concur...

TripleS wrote:Oh no, that's not right. My friend Roadcraft takes a fairly robust attitude to some subjects and he expresses himself accordingly, but there is usually a fair measure of respect in there as well....even when he strongly disapproves of my opinions!

Best wishes all,
Dave.

You see the majority of people come onto this forum to be positive, productive and enter in the community spirit. As opposes to less than a dozen posts in 2.5 months, all of which are non memorable and purely inflammatory.
Roadcraft

Postby nuster100 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:17 pm

Roadcraft wrote:
Zenner wrote:And I have yet to read a post that is respectful from yourself...

You therefore should have gone to 'Specsavers'

As the member TripleS and no doubt many others will concur...

TripleS wrote:Oh no, that's not right. My friend Roadcraft takes a fairly robust attitude to some subjects and he expresses himself accordingly, but there is usually a fair measure of respect in there as well....even when he strongly disapproves of my opinions!

Best wishes all,
Dave.

You see the majority of people come onto this forum to be positive, productive and enter in the community spirit. As opposes to less than a dozen posts in 2.5 months, all of which are non memorable and purely inflammatory.

Point made, Step away from the handbags.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

nuster100

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:21 pm

nuster100 wrote:Point made, Step away from the handbags.
Jay

:lol:

The problem is Jay, is that if these sort of people are tackled on our forum, it'll just become like several others...where the main subject matter is speed cameras and police bashing. There are many forums where such subject content can be found in abundance. However, it would be a shame if Darren's superb AD.UK was to suffer the same fate.
Roadcraft

Postby nuster100 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:23 pm

I agree.

Tis a great site, well above the rest.

Jay

nuster100

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:42 pm

nuster100 wrote:I agree.

Jay

That's right, and we still have the rebel element here, I'm happy to say (otherwise I would feel well out of place) but let's remember that even the rebels can play a constructive part at times.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:50 pm

TripleS wrote:

Jay

That's right, and we still have the rebel element here, I'm happy to say (otherwise I would feel well out of place) but let's remember that even the rebels can play a constructive part at times.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

They can Dave...when it's performed intellectually and constructively...like you have managed perfectly..;)
Roadcraft

Postby 7db » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:35 pm

vonhosen wrote:There is an observed difference though between two way radio & telephone, a difference in how the brain processes the information & the level of distraction that is caused. It is also true that the observed distractive effect for telephone is pretty much the same for hand held use as it is for hands free. The issue of lack of vehicle control for hand held is seperate.

Getting back on topic and away from the introspection...

Aren't Airwave (?) capable of being used for mobile phone comms as well as two-way, and therefore included in the banned list, even when being used for two-way radio comms?
7db

Postby TripleS » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:37 pm

Roadcraft wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Jay

Best wishes all,
Dave.

They can Dave...when it's performed intellectually and constructively...like you have managed perfectly..;)

Well it's very kind of you to say that, but the hat I was planning to wear while I'm out in 7db's skateboard next Saturday will not fit. Little 'at plus big 'ead = no good. Curses!

Never mind, I'll just have to survive in my red flannel undies and sheepskin liberty bodice. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave - a dedicated follower of fashion. :roll:

PS. Are you not available for Newbury on 18th.? I was rather hoping....
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum