Things other drivers do that annoy you...disproportionately

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:37 pm

nuster100 wrote:Will have to remeber not to hold the car on the clutch.

I have lost count on the number of time I have rolled to a halt on a hill and caught the car on the clutch in 1st.

I am guessuing this is not good then?

Jay

Unles you have an "imminent go" no not really, handbrake usage is advised for any wait over a couple of seconds generally, although I don't believe a specific amount of time has ever been specified.
James

Postby nuster100 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Ah, right.

I only do it when moving off is imminent, for example a t-junction at the top of a hill.

It sounded like i shouldent be doing it atall

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby waremark » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:12 am

jont wrote:I'd much rather see standard dipped bulbs, and leave the Xenon's for mainbeam, where having a really high level of light can be useful. However I've heard they take a short while to warm up and produce full levels of output, so having to keep switching them on and off probably wouldn't help.

I have so called 'bi-xenons' - ie xenon for both dipped and main beam. So far as I can work out the dipping arrangement uses a mechanical shutter, so there is no delay while you wait for the lights to warm up when you switch to main beam.

I don't get flashed. We have three cars with Xenons. In common with all original equipment Xenon fitted cars they come with automatic beam adjustment, and there is no manual override. I presume this is a requirement.

I recognise the point StressedD makes about the very sharp cut-off of dipped beam, and the fact that this can mean you see less beyond the cut-off. This seems to me to apply on my wife's car but not on my M3. Stressed D, you must try my car in the dark and see what you think.

On the upcoming new car I have ordered 'Intelligent light system' which is a further upgrade on top of 'Bi-Xenon lights with cornering feature'. The cynic would say that I am a fool and that a fool and his money..... I hope to be able to drive more safely and/or swiftly in the dark. Time will tell.

So far as upgrading main beam only is concerned, I think that most ordinary main beam lights are good enough for normal speeds. It is dipped beam lights which are speed limiting, and which are worth upgrading if possible. The case for Xenon main beams is to avoid the contrast with the brightness of Xenon dpped beams.
waremark

Postby waremark » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 am

MGF wrote:Why on earth would the driver in a following vehicle feel the need to indicate he wants you to move over at the first suitable opportunity?

By doing so he is assuming you are not going to or wishes to push you along to complete the overtake quicker.

The fact that someone has caught up with me indicates the driver would like to pass at the first safe opportunity.

If only there were more like you! My personal approach is to hang well back until there is an opportunity for the driver in front to move in, and then to close up behind him in a positive way. Sometimes they become aware and take the hint.

I am not trying to defend idiot in Alfa who closes at a vast speed when James is overtaking. But I have to say that someone doing that to me would cause me to move in earlier than I might otherwise, taking an intermediate gap to let him past before going out again to continue a sequence of overtakes.
waremark

Postby SLine » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:40 am

Things other drivers do that annoy you...

Unrestrained children - particularly those peaple that let their child stand between the front seats :evil: or have a child sitting on their lap :roll:

It's clearly dangerous, but I don't know why it makes me so mad, I don't even have any.
SLine

Postby AdamW » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:21 am

James wrote:People who flash you because they dont know what Xenon lights are and think you are on full beam.

Idiots who straddle the whute line to prevent you overtaking when the road temporarily becomes 2 lanes.

People who approach you quickly in Lane 3, tailgate and sit there waiting for you to let them past (despite you travelling at a good speed and overtaking those in Lane 2).

James,

You and me both.

Oh just to add, those feckers that follow on my arse in foggy weather, those that have no lights or sidelights only also in this foggy wether. :?
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby Big Err » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:29 pm

SLine wrote:Things other drivers do that annoy you...

A lack of consideration for others about sums it all up for me.

Eric
Big Err

Postby wenlocksimon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:19 am

Telford has roundabouts like Greenland has snow. So you would think that Telfordians would be experts, the cream, of island drivers.

Erm.

No.

Indicators are either discretionary, improperly applied, or just plain redundant.

I can't identify the worst, but nudging the top of the list is that person who exits a roundabout whilst still indicating right. Closely followed (so to speak) by the "Telford Leftie" who will travel ALL the way around the island in the left hand lane without indicating whatsoever.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
wenlocksimon

Postby PeteG » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:36 am

I had better than that earlier today - a car coming round a roundabout, no indicators on, realises I'm approaching on the exit he's taking - so puts his signal on. All well and good, you may think. Sadly, it was his right signal...
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby crr003 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:02 am

I vote for front fog/driving lights again. Had a bit of mist recently and everybody has been exercising their illegal right to illuminate.

And why are some lights the size of dinner plates?

Totally pointless.
crr003

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:43 am

All of these actions boil down to arrogance, people who think they are the only ones on the road.

Or it could be selfishness.

OR it could be that they genuinely don't realise they are causing a problem to anyone, or endangering themselves...thats the scariest thought....although I know that unfortunately a lot of people are that stupid.

I don't really agree with the fog light thing, unless they are dazzling. IMHO, if set peoperly they shouldnt be dazzling anyone. None I have seen are as bright as the previously mentioned HID's.

I see many more taxi's causing dazzle with out of line headlights than I see fog lights causing dazzle.
Luke

Postby crr003 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Luke wrote:I don't really agree with the fog light thing, unless they are dazzling.

Sometimes all I can see is a wall of light - it can mask other road users and if they bother to indicate for anything, that's hidden in the white light too.

Oh, and it's ILLEGAL :evil:
:)
crr003

Postby nuster100 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:05 pm

Luke wrote:All of these actions boil down to arrogance, people who think they are the only ones on the road.

Or it could be selfishness.

OR it could be that they genuinely don't realise they are causing a problem to anyone, or endangering themselves...thats the scariest thought....although I know that unfortunately a lot of people are that stupid.

I don't really agree with the fog light thing, unless they are dazzling. IMHO, if set peoperly they shouldnt be dazzling anyone. None I have seen are as bright as the previously mentioned HID's.

I see many more taxi's causing dazzle with out of line headlights than I see fog lights causing dazzle.

You would be supprised with "the fog light thing".

Alot of newer cars are using bright led lights that can really dazzle you.

I only see the need for rear foglights if you are the last in a chain of cars. Or there is no-one arround.

As soon as someone comes up behind me, I turn them off.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby Luke » Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:13 pm

crr003 wrote:
Luke wrote:I don't really agree with the fog light thing, unless they are dazzling.

Sometimes all I can see is a wall of light - it can mask other road users and if they bother to indicate for anything, that's hidden in the white light too.

Oh, and it's ILLEGAL :evil:
:)

I totally agree with you, I'm not disputing the legality of FOG LIGHTS, I am just pointing out that there are many more things that cause dazzle...
Also, we have to remember all of the construction and use regulations that make something a fog light or not.

I would rather stop someone and ihave a word for their headlights being dazzling, than stop someone with fog lights that are set properly and not causing dazzle.

Mobile phone users worry me more than fog light users.
Luke

Postby wenlocksimon » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:50 pm

I've never been dazzled by front fog lights.

No. Seriously.

And I only use them when conditions dictate.

There was a thread on the Shropshire Star forum some time ago titled "Fog Light Terrorists" :shock: and some of the venomous posts surprised me! Is it just me that has de-sensitised eyes or what?!!
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly
wenlocksimon

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum