National speed limit lowered to 50 Mph

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Gareth » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:33 pm

PeterE wrote:a signed limit does not override the national speed limit for vehicles of that type on that road class. I'm surprised that anyone should think it would.

In Scotland roads which one might think of as having the national speed limit are explicitly signed 60 for single carriageways and 70 for dual carriageways. If the national speed limit for rural roads is reduced, (as seems to be mooted fairly often these days), are you saying that all those very clear signs will then apply to none of the vehicles using the roads?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby firstmk1 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:50 am

I too am surprised that I still don't know everything :roll:
Ian
firstmk1

Postby PeterE » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Gareth wrote:
PeterE wrote:a signed limit does not override the national speed limit for vehicles of that type on that road class. I'm surprised that anyone should think it would.

In Scotland roads which one might think of as having the national speed limit are explicitly signed 60 for single carriageways and 70 for dual carriageways. If the national speed limit for rural roads is reduced, (as seems to be mooted fairly often these days), are you saying that all those very clear signs will then apply to none of the vehicles using the roads?

Presumably they would have to remove them unless there was provision for "signing up" higher quality roads to 60 rather than 50 - as is the case in the Republic of Ireland.

There are also a few single-carriageway roads explicitly signed as 60 in England, such as the A556 between M6 Junction 19 and Northwich.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Nicky » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:17 am

If your going to speed make sure you know what your doing!
Nicky

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum