IAM membership fee increase...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby hanse cronje » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:38 pm

£28 per year gets me 20% discount on my policy which was worth £160/70 Pounds last renewal

so until the diff gets narrower then it is still worth being in the iam
hanse cronje

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 pm

rlmr wrote: However if the IAM does ground and cease to be, I will be perfectly happy to give Advanced Driving assessments and advice on the basis of £250 per day plus expenses. Until then I will continue to give of my time freely, help local Groups, friends and friends of friends in return for coffee and cakes :wink:

;)

But don't forget you'll need to qualify (if not already) as an ADI.

I'm not a member, it was one of the things that went as we moved to single income and the Foal appeared.

But as a comparison, I'm a member of the BMF at £26 pa. I 'get' a magazine every two months. But they're also representing 'me' to Govt here & EU in a way I can't, but support.

It's down to IAM to justify the value, and in terms of the 'corner' example, perhaps the value is with the groups. After all, they'd be doing the same 'job' without a test on the end. [ish ;) ]
Last edited by Horse on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby rlmr » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Horse wrote:
But don't forget you'll need to qualify (if not already) as an ADI.

Only required for Cars... no requirement for me on the Motorcycles or LGVs :wink:
rlmr

Postby PeterE » Fri May 15, 2009 9:48 pm

PeterE wrote:
Jack Russell wrote:Yes the IAM image is a bit pipe and slippers, but so what!! It's still a good thing to support, I am not saying it's the best or perfect but it's still good!

That is true, and is why I've continued to pay my annual subs despite not being actively involved. However, increasing the annual fee by 55% (or 66% if you prefer not to pay by Direct Debit) is a bit much to ask of supporters, especially at a time when many people are having to tighten their belts.

I suspect I won't be renewing mine come next April either.

In the end I did, as I know someone who is currently doing the associate course and thought I should lend my support.

I was also mildly encouraged by the sceptical note about some of the government's road safety proposals in the most recent issue of Advanced Driving.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum