Group Bicker about Police, Driving and Politics...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:12 pm

Red Herring wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Its seems crazy to risk your life for a blue light driver to me.

Fortunately they are quite prepared to risk theirs for yours, or your families, or anybody else for that matter.

Indeed....... Blues, House, Persons Reported
the result of an 18mph impact with a retaining wall............

I was in the Passenger seat...........this was NOT due to Driver error BTW[/
OILY PAWS

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Red Herring wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Its seems crazy to risk your life for a blue light driver to me.

Fortunately they are quite prepared to risk theirs for yours, or your families, or anybody else for that matter.

Yes but they are trained and paid to do so.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:03 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:
Red Herring wrote:

I know the fire bridgade but I dont think ambulance drivers are allowed.

I had a convo with an ex divisional commander over the parking situation in my street at times making it impossible for an ambulance and fire to get access to properties. He informed the fire bridgade would ram any vehicle out the way if they felt a life was in danger.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Red Herring » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:04 pm

So why not have enough faith that if they are trying to get you out of the way it is probably justified and necessary, and just see if you can help them out a little.
Red Herring

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 pm

The police car would of beenable to get through if they hand stayed in the two lanes of the dual track as the cars had room to move clear a oath down the middle but expecting one car to clear an entire lane was unwise.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:12 pm

jbsportstech wrote:[I know the fire bridgade but I dont think ambulance drivers are allowed.

He informed the fire bridgade would ram any vehicle out the way if they felt a life was in danger.

Absolute Claptrap.........only time I've seen that happening was in that highly realistic (sic) programme "Londons Burning"...........
OILY PAWS

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
Red Herring wrote:

Yes but they are trained and paid to do so.

Trained.......yes...........paid to risk their life......Nope, that goes for ALL the Services, the risking your life bit comes down to a personal judgement call.....other wise known as a Dynamic Risk Assessment

The Driver in the Appliance pictured above was unconscious behind the wheel (post impact) he required a collar, and a night in the hospital, I still have neck pains 18 months on, the two lads in the back ended up with various injuries, are we paid for that???
Last edited by OILY PAWS on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
OILY PAWS

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:22 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:[I know the fire bridgade but I dont think ambulance drivers are allowed.

He informed the fire bridgade would ram any vehicle out the way if they felt a life was in danger.

Absolute Claptrap.........only time I've seen that happening was in that highly realistic (sic) programme "Londons Burning"...........

Why show that pic then if they are not prepared to ram a parked car?? Are you deliberty trying to be awkward.

Either they do ram things out the way or the don't?

Editted***

I admire the fact that you work for the fire service and are prepared to risk your life....

That aside your starting to sound spookly like a young soldier who joined the armed forces b4 the war in iraq and afganistan and are now moaning you have to go away and fight for 6 months and he could be killed?

On that basis when I was ask to survey a roof ona £800k cladding and roofing project should I of siad I am not paid enough to travel on a passenger/goods hoist up a 20 storey tower block to a roof that had been declared unsafe for residents and members of the public to venture onto. I had know fall arest system just standard PPE a hard hat, high viz vest , safety shoes and a note pad and pen.
Last edited by jbsportstech on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby MGF » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Red Herring wrote:

I thought ambulance drivers weren't even prepared to break a door down to save a life? :wink:
MGF

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
OILY PAWS wrote:

Why show that pic then if they are not prepared to ram a parked car?? Are you deliberty trying to be awkward.

Either they do ram things out the way or the don't?

the one above, was nothing to do with "ramming cars"...........am I being awkward?.......I could ask are you on drugs...........ask yourself this, what would happen if the motor in the front got Stuck/damaged/ unable to proceed due to "ramming" a car, and stopped anything else........the rest of the turnout, ambulances, police......it doesn't happen mate.....

And, in response to your edited post, no moans here........just stating facts......again

........going up there without the proper safety gear.......surely you were "making yourself vunerable to an Accident" :)
Last edited by OILY PAWS on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OILY PAWS

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:31 pm

MGF wrote:
Red Herring wrote:

I thought ambulance drivers weren't even prepared to break a door down to save a life? :wink:

Again I have been to care homes on reactive maintenance contracts where a paramedic or technician has kicked the door in when the key safe was yards away and they had the code.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:42 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:
Red Herring wrote:

Planned then was it? :?
zadocbrown

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Custom24 wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:It doesn't have to be a choice between running the red light and just sitting there. If you've kept space around you there should be room for manouevre without doing anything illegal, still less putting your safety at risk.

Spot on. When first in the queue at lights, I used to try to leave myself back maybe 4 feet from the line, not so much so that other motorists would get upset or even notice, to give myself more options if the blue lights did present themselves. But recently I've been forgetting to do this. Thanks for reminding me. :D

I never actually got the situation where I could test the usefulness of this, but more options are always good. Does anyone else do something like this? How much space is a useful amount to leave without upsetting others?

Depends on the situation. Typical example would be dual carriageway at red light. You just need enough space to steer from your stationary position to a close to the kerb position if something needs to split the lanes. About the same distance as you'd leave when stopping behind another vehicle is a good place to start.
zadocbrown

Postby OILY PAWS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:06 pm

zadocbrown wrote:Planned then was it? :?

nope.......Definately Not down to Driver Error
OILY PAWS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:26 pm

The only two things I can think of are

- the driver suffered a heart attack or was otherwise rendered unconscious by a health problem
- the driver was attacked from outside the vehicle

since you said the impact was with a wall. Either way, sounds like a bit of a freak accident. Hopefully not in a normal day's work.

Hope your neck gets better soon.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum