IAM 'Skill for Life' increase

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MGF » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 pm

martine wrote:Take the point about it not being an option where t/o < £5k but the admin side of being a charity is very simple.

For the third time :) It is an option where turnover is less than 5k there is just no need to be registered.
MGF

Postby jont » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:13 pm

martine wrote:The plus side is (apart from the tax advantage) being a registed charity makes it clear to the public where you're coming from i.e. not to make money and stops dead all those awkward questions about who's earning what. I'd like to think it makes it easier to get support from other organisations (councils, media etc).

I'm not sure it does stop questions about who's earning what in my mind - if anything it makes me more suspicious. Not making money doesn't mean officers of the charity aren't being paid, and there's no guarantee about what proportion of funds raised actually go towards the cause (rather than say advertising and administration). For example what are the directors of the IAM earning? It's not going to be minimum wage....

The last part might be correct, but again it depends what you're getting support for. As MGF has said above there seem to be increasing numbers of charities that are getting very close to political campaigning. It annoys me that for example groups such as Transport 2000 are involved in planning enquiries etc while there isn't necessarily representation from drivers groups. Not quite sure how that works in fact - they claim to be a registered charity, yet in their aims specifically state they are political:
"Political work

We lobby Ministers, MPs, regional government and local authorities, making sure green transport issues are kept high on the political agenda"
(taken from http://www.bettertransport.org.uk/about_us/how_we_work)
jont

Postby martine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:47 pm

MGF wrote:For the third time :) It is an option where turnover is less than 5k there is just no need to be registered.

OK, OK what's your name, Jeremy Paxman! If you look at the posting times you'll see you and I posted within 7 mins of each other - we 'cross-posted' or whatever it's called (but I do admit to missing your first reference!).

Anyway...IAM (or ROSPA) independence is definitely do-able but it's a balance of pros-cons. If the Bristol group were to de-affiliate we'd obviously have to put it to the vote first and although I know there are plenty of local members who are pretty dismayed with recent events like Steveg, I'm not sure they are in the majority...yet...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:42 pm

It's an option but it involves applying directly to HMRC for tax relief. We've never been taxed on anything, so that's a kind of negative disbenefit, if you see what I mean ;)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:44 pm

@Martine, presumably you would also then have to come up with another name, and stop using IAM logos etc. on your collateral (including website), which would probably devalue your position as far as the wider public were concerned. A lot of drivers have heard of the IAM (and a few of RoSPA), but few of them are going to be convinced by a small independent organisation, however good, unless it has links with one of those national bodies, imho.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:@Martine, presumably you would also then have to come up with another name, and stop using IAM logos etc. on your collateral (including website), which would probably devalue your position as far as the wider public were concerned. A lot of drivers have heard of the IAM (and a few of RoSPA), but few of them are going to be convinced by a small independent organisation, however good, unless it has links with one of those national bodies, imho.

Yes to both: we have to stop using IAM logo/wording etc and we'd lose the IAM's reputation (!!!!)

It might attract a whole new bunch who aren't impressed by the 'pipe and slippers' image.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:17 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:stop using IAM logos etc. on your collateral (including website), which would probably devalue your position as far as the wider public were concerned

I don't see why the IAM (and RoADAR) couldn't be mentioned prominently as long as there is no claim of affiliation. It would be completely reasonable to make it clear that the purpose of the group is to prepare drivers (and riders?) for advanced tests conducted by the IAM or RoADAR, so there would still be (web) links to those bodies.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:24 pm

I've found one example of a group (Essex, motorcycles only) that appears to no longer be affiliated to the IAM. They might be able to provide more information about how well it has worked out.
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:35 pm

From the Essex Motorcyclists site;

Our Observers have all qualified as IAM Observers / Senior Observers or hold the RoSPA Gold / Diploma qualification. Many hold both!

Can't remember exactly the rules, but would an independent car group be able to put forward someone to take a Senior Observer test? If currently so, I'd wager money on the IAM changing the rules on this if groups started declaring independence.
Custom24

Postby Darren » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:@Martine, presumably you would also then have to come up with another name, and stop using IAM logos etc. on your collateral (including website), which would probably devalue your position as far as the wider public were concerned. A lot of drivers have heard of the IAM (and a few of RoSPA), but few of them are going to be convinced by a small independent organisation, however good, unless it has links with one of those national bodies, imho.

<Darren offers ADUK logo's>
Darren

Postby Red Herring » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Does anyone know if a first timer can actually apply to take the IAM driving test without going through (and paying for) SFL. I know someone who is already a member, say a motorcyclist, can apply for just a car test, and someone who fails their test can apply for just a test, but can someone who joins a group and does all their training then decide to apply to the IAM for just a test?
Red Herring

Postby ROG » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Red Herring wrote:Does anyone know if a first timer can actually apply to take the IAM driving test without going through (and paying for) SFL. I know someone who is already a member, say a motorcyclist, can apply for just a car test, and someone who fails their test can apply for just a test, but can someone who joins a group and does all their training then decide to apply to the IAM for just a test?

test fee 44
annual membership 30
book 10
amount to group 31
total 115

have I got figures right :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Red Herring wrote:Does anyone know if a first timer can actually apply to take the IAM driving test without going through (and paying for) SFL.

Yes.
Didn't buy SfL, didn't come through the group. Just paid to take the test.
crr003

Postby Gareth » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:02 pm

crr003 wrote:
Red Herring wrote:Does anyone know if a first timer can actually apply to take the IAM driving test without going through (and paying for) SFL.

Yes.
Didn't buy SfL, didn't come through the group. Just paid to take the test.

I really did think it was possible - I paid for SFL and went through the process when I back-filled - but every time I've looked on the IAM website I have not been able to find the price for the test on its own.
Gareth

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Red Herring wrote:Does anyone know if a first timer can actually apply to take the IAM driving test without going through (and paying for) SFL?

Yes, but my experience of doing so was a struggle. The group local to me at the time was unhelpful and would only consider SfL as a route to the test, but I did manage to get a form from HQ and just pay the test fee. The fact the the examiner then didn't turn up on the day wasn't great for my view of the IAM! Reading others' experiences, I can see that I was unlucky, though.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum