Driving in Snow!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:13 pm

Porker wrote:I do hope so - they're excellent.

Normal climate control/air conditioning isn't far off though - I've never had any misting problems on any car we've had that's been fitted with either of these.

One thing I miss about my Mondeo is the heated screen (oh and the heated seats :lol: ). The big problem with air conditioning/climate control systems is that the air con system disables itself when the outside temperature falls below 4 or 5 degrees C to prevent it from becoming damaged. This in turn means the car is more likely to mist up :(

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:59 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:The big problem with air conditioning/climate control systems is that the air con system disables itself when the outside temperature falls below 4 or 5 degrees C to prevent it from becoming damaged. This in turn means the car is more likely to mist up :(

Well in that case you'd better have a word with our car - tonight when it was -5C - -6C and I had the climate control system running it kept the windows clear, yet if I'd switched to economy mode the windows would have soon misted up.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Renny » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:33 pm

MGF wrote:Despite all the amazing technology car makers come up with they still haven't solved the basics such as windscreens that don't mist up. Maybe this is an are that deserves some more attention as visibility is quite an important part of driving.

As others have posted, heated front screens are wonderful at this time of year. We're now on our 4th Discovery with this feature and would hate not to have it. Demisting and defrosting are now a doddle, and with the added bonus that K would not manage to reach to the middle of the screen (and she's not a shorty) to scrape the ice off.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby jont » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:10 pm

With all this talk of defrosting/demisting, has anyone had the novel idea of a building that would hold a car (rather than say a large amount of worthless junk), meaning that ice/snow doesn't have a chance to build up on it? You could call it say a "garage" :roll: :lol:
jont

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:35 pm

jont wrote:With all this talk of defrosting/demisting, has anyone had the novel idea of a building that would hold a car (rather than say a large amount of worthless junk), meaning that ice/snow doesn't have a chance to build up on it? You could call it say a "garage" :roll: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .....thats funny!! where I live, its new build estate, my house is the only one with a car port and im at the end of t-junction, so there are designated parking spaces for everyone else at the end of my road. sooo mine stays frost free.....everyone else is out there first thing in the morning scraping their cars....he he he...that makes me larf too :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Renny » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Better still, how about a "Double garage"? Then you could store a car and junk, or twice as much junk, or even better, hide a complete car that SWMBO would bever know about :twisted: :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Excuse me for appearing really ignorant..but..what does 'SWMBO' mean :?: :?
x-Sonia-x

Postby GJD » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:40 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Excuse me for appearing really ignorant..but..what does 'SWMBO' mean :?: :?

I'm sure your'e familiar with the concept Sonia - She Who Must Be Obeyed :) . It's not explained in the shorthand/abbreviations sticky thread. I thought I'd seen it there...

Gavin
GJD

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:58 pm

GJD wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:Excuse me for appearing really ignorant..but..what does 'SWMBO' mean :?: :?

I'm sure your'e familiar with the concept Sonia - She Who Must Be Obeyed :) . It's not explained in the shorthand/abbreviations sticky thread. I thought I'd seen it there...

Gavin

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...yes im familiar with it :wink: ...I like it, its even got its own abbreviation!!! I did look in the sticky thread before I asked and couldnt see it, honestly thought it was a motoring term :lol: :lol: Quite happily call meself a 'SWMBO' from now on :lol: :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:11 pm

MGF wrote:Despite all the amazing technology car makers come up with they still haven't solved the basics such as windscreens that don't mist up. Maybe this is an are that deserves some more attention as visibility is quite an important part of driving.

The climate control system of the Peugeot 406 seems to be pretty good at demisting the windscreen quickly, but what I'd also like are wipers that don't pick up loads of ice and thus stop wiping properly, and screenwasher jets that don't freeze up - both of which shortcomings were very evident on my 200 mile trip this morning. :(

It's all very well having a good dose of screenwasher fluid in the system, but it all comes to nowt when ice covers the nozzles.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:29 pm

Renny wrote:Better still, how about a "Double garage"? Then you could store a car and junk, or twice as much junk, or even better, hide a complete car that SWMBO would bever know about :twisted: :lol:

Pah, no chance. SWMBO is into everything. I can have no secrets whatsoever, dammit.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:58 pm

TripleS wrote:
Renny wrote:Better still, how about a "Double garage"? Then you could store a car and junk, or twice as much junk, or even better, hide a complete car that SWMBO would bever know about :twisted: :lol:

Pah, no chance. SWMBO is into everything. I can have no secrets whatsoever, dammit.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

excellent....good for her :wink: 8)
x-Sonia-x

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:35 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I
Now I looked at the prices of Autoglym Glass cleaner...its expensive!! But like anything I suppose you get what you pay for.

I didn't tell you how economical it is, I just opened my 1 litre bottle of 06B and have seen that I have only used 10 percent of 1 litre, that's after over 100 uses on all the interior glass on a 39ft coach, 1 litre costs £12.99 here http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/autoglym-glass-cleaner-1ltr-p-25002431.html, not bad considering that my colleagues are buying fairy liquid to mix with water at the rate of a bottle a week and therefor have already spent more than I have, I am nowhere near empty with 06B Glass Cleaner, I had no idea until now how good a buy Autoglym 06B actually is.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum