My IAM Trainee Observer "blog"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MikeB » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:40 pm

Well done on passing the I.A.M. test. Always remember that you took the training and the test because you wanted to: not because it was part of your job requirement. I joined at the age of 17 over 45 years ago, am still observing, still have a Roadar re-test every three years since 1965 and I am always glad that I went against the trend and joined the I.A.M.

Just remember that every time you drive you should be giving yourself a driving lesson - just see how far you can drive without detecting a ' fault,' if you go more than 5 miles you are not self-critical enough.

Enjoy your driving and keep having a re-test!!
MikeB Mid-Cheshire
MikeB

Postby jibberjabber25 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:08 am

Hi. I just did my first day of training on Saturday. It was really great fun.

I was just there to see what the observer was doing and how he was commenting on the associate's driving. It was very interesting, and I didn't comment too much, just looked at what was going on.

In 2 weeks time I will have to comment also. :?
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 pm

I've had my second day of training now. Was very interesting and I did pass a few comments on about the associate's driving. Next I will have to actually "observe" my mentor with a route that I planned out.

I'm a bit nervous about this one. :? I'll do my best though.
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:50 pm

Hi guys. Finished my 1st actual run "observing" as such, and I wasn't really happy with my performance.

I could just about plan the route, and that's mostly what I was focusing on. I just couldn't look at what he's doing AND plan the route and as soon as we started the nerves set in. :(

I did so many things wrong. Told my mentor that he was speeding, when he actually wasn't (I was just looking at the speedo wrong) :shock:. I also told him to use pull-push when rotational steering is OK for slow manoeuvres and I should have known this, I was reading that section of Roadcraft just yesterday about rotational steering. :shock:

He was making mistakes and I couldn't spot them because I was so busy with the route and when I was spotting them the language I was using was totally wrong. I just went all tense and couldn't speak how I normally do, just went all quiet in parts. I feel it's my shyness coming back to bite me. I just wish I could be more confident with it, but as soon as I get in the car the confidence goes out of the window, how will I handle an ACTUAL associate. OMG AGH!. :evil: :(

I don't feel too good at the moment and don't know how I'm going to manage this next time. :?
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby crr003 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:25 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:..I could just about plan the route, and that's mostly what I was focusing on. I just couldn't look at what he's doing AND plan the route and as soon as we started the nerves set in.

I have a set route I take people out on for the first run to see what's happening. After that, I pretty much make it up as I go along, but I'm lucky that it's pretty hard to get lost on the Wirral! :D
Maybe sort out a few routes that take the time you want to be out and get used to them so you can concentrate on the driving more? But even set routes sometimes have road works or too much traffic and have to be ammended. And set routes get boring for everybody if you make them drive them too often.

It'll feel better with a bit of experience!
crr003

Postby rlmr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:41 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:I also told him to use pull-push when rotational steering is OK for slow manoeuvres and I should have known this, I was reading that section of Roadcraft just yesterday about rotational steering. :shock:

Don't worry we all have to start somewhere. Every trek (one mile or one hundred miles) starts with the first steps.

As for pull/push... don't worry about it. If your "associate" was any good they would mange pull/push :oops: .

"Rotational Steering" is like the "Brake/Gear overlap." We "old timers" were not allowed to do this and we had to double de-clutch and sustain rev gear changes... not like the easy time folk have of it today :wink: . You should be pleased to think that your standard are higher than the regime permits 8)

Rennie
rlmr

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Thank you for the comments, you lot made me feel better about it. :) Cheered me up at bit let's say.

crr003 wrote:Maybe sort out a few routes that take the time you want to be out and get used to them so you can concentrate on the driving more? But even set routes sometimes have road works or too much traffic and have to be ammended. And set routes get boring for everybody if you make them drive them too often.

That is what I should be doing from now on definitely.

rlmr wrote:As for pull/push... don't worry about it. If your "associate" was any good they would manage pull/push :oops: .

My "associate" is a senior observer! :shock:

rlmr wrote:"Rotational Steering" is like the "Brake/Gear overlap." We "old timers" were not allowed to do this and we had to double de-clutch and sustain rev gear changes... not like the easy time folk have of it today :wink: . You should be pleased to think that your standard are higher than the regime permits 8)

I always use pull-push and thank you for your comments. :) I don't see why you would want to use anything but pull-push doing manoeuvres which is why I suggested using pull-push.

My mentor said rotational steering is more "natural" let's say that I disagree completely with this and believe that pull-push is more natural - to me anyway.

I suppose what he was trying to tell me is that if an associate uses rotational steering when the car is moving very slowly (as mentioned in Roadcraft) I do not need to "correct" them as such.
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:12 pm

rlmr wrote:As for pull/push... don't worry about it. If your "associate" was any good they would manage pull/push :oops: .
Rennie

....or manage perfectly well without it. :evil:

Anyhow don't worry JJ. I think it's splendid that you're taking the trouble to do what you're doing. It will come right in the end.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby rlmr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:22 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:

My "associate" is a senior observer! :shock:

In that case they should definitely have been capable of doing everything by pull/push... or are the english standards lower than up here :wink:
jibberjabber25 wrote:
rlmr wrote:"Rotational Steering" is like the "Brake/Gear overlap." We "old timers" were not allowed to do this and we had to double de-clutch and sustain rev gear changes... not like the easy time folk have of it today :wink: . You should be pleased to think that your standard are higher than the regime permits 8)

I always use pull-push and thank you for your comments. :) I don't see why you would want to use anything but pull-push doing manoeuvres which is why I suggested using pull-push.

Well said that man
jibberjabber25 wrote:I suppose what he was trying to tell me is that if an associate uses rotational steering when the car is moving very slowly (as mentioned in Roadcraft) I do not need to "correct" them as such.

That's fine... but then convince them to follow your example and show them how smooth it can be using pull/push. Set out your standard for others to follow... do not lower your standards to accept others.

After all the whole Quality Assurance ideology behind the IAM test (& RoSPA) is to test against a uniform standard across the country. Do not train folk to pass an Advanced test, train them in Advanced Driving :wink: .

Rennie
rlmr

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:45 pm

rlmr wrote:....the whole Quality Assurance ideology behind the IAM test (& RoSPA) is to test against a uniform standard across the country. Do not train folk to pass an Advanced test, train them in Advanced Driving :wink: .
Rennie

A uniform standard is indeed desirable, but if you get too anal about some detail matters and fail to convince the associate about the justification for it, it will put some people off bothering with the IAM/RoSPA.

Your last bit is right though - it is not simply a matter of passing a test.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:16 pm

TripleS wrote:A uniform standard is indeed desirable, but if you get too anal about some detail matters and fail to convince the associate about the justification for it, it will put some people off bothering with the IAM/RoSPA.

Well, of course I wouldn't get anal with details. All I'm saying is that I would definitely suggest that an associate uses pull-push, after a couple of runs, not straight away, just introduce different aspects as they go along.

Hopefully, as rmlr was saying I can then show them the advantages of pull-push over rotational and they would be converted! :lol:

That's what I was thinking of, don't know if it's right. :?
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby rlmr » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:46 pm

TripleS wrote:A uniform standard is indeed desirable, but if you get too anal about some detail matters and fail to convince the associate about the justification for it, it will put some people off bothering with the IAM/RoSPA.

If one fails to convince an associate then the "fault" probably lies with the Observer who needs to review their own a) driving & b) observing technique. Nothing anal about trying to get it right. The UK Road Accident Statistics are full of folk who did not get it right...

Deaths and injuries on the road
3,221 people were killed in road accidents in 2004
31,130 were seriously injured
246,489 were slightly injured

...so lets ensure we make a good job of the Observing and convince the associates... Education by Example.

regards,

Rennie
rlmr

Postby TripleS » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:21 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:

Well, of course I wouldn't get anal with details. All I'm saying is that I would definitely suggest that an associate uses pull-push, after a couple of runs, not straight away, just introduce different aspects as they go along.

Hopefully, as rmlr was saying I can then show them the advantages of pull-push over rotational and they would be converted! :lol:

That's what I was thinking of, don't know if it's right. :?

As a general approach that sounds fine to me. I think better results are often achieved by avoiding being too heavy handed with the advice.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 pm

It's all sorted now. Called up my mentor and I have misconstrued completely what was being said to me, and as usual was just beating myself too much over it. Then again it's difficult when you're just starting something new and you don't have any comparisons to make and plus you've never taught anyone anything before! :shock:

Thank you for your support. :)
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby rlmr » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:32 pm

jibberjabber25 wrote:...was just beating myself too much over it.

:D We all do that at times. Don't let it spoil you enjoyment. Its great to look back and reflect on someone who was a "so so" driver who, thanks to your assistance, shows a great improvement :D

Without good Observers there woul dbe no Advanced Driving for the general public.

Rennie
rlmr

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum