First Car

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:27 pm

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with registering it at say your mum's address (postcode lottery) and putting her on as a named driver. In fact add as many female named drivers as you can. :wink: It doesn't mean it has to be at that address or that she/they have to drive it, although you will reap the rewards of how it looks "on paper". Make sure to confirm the details with the insurance company though.

Also try and get it garaged overnight, and think carefully about your annual mileage and market value.
James

Postby hardboiled » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:23 am

You can register a car where you want to but you must tell the insurance company where in effect it will be kept and they will base the risk assessment on this. So telling them it's kept in a locked garage in a nice little hamlet in the countryside when it's kept outside your house in central Birmingham/London could leave you with a large hole in your pocket when they refuse to pay out on a claim.

Adding parents/wives/girlfriends can often help but I've seen it increase as many policies as it decreases. Garaging does often help (maybe 5%) as will annual mileage. I don't believe, unless it's an agreed mileage policy, that value affects things much these days. For a couple of years now Tesco and a few other companies haven't even bothered asking for the car value when getting a quote. They will aim to pay you as little as possible anyway no matter what you paid for the car or what you think it might be worth.
hardboiled

Postby MrToad » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:42 am

Classic car (10yrs+) policies don't require an NCB, but if it's your only vehicle you may have problems getting it.

I switched to TPFT a couple of years ago and save more through this each year than the car is worth.

Good luck tomorrow!

Tony
Do less, better.
MrToad

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 am

Good luck Sammy. It'll be Wednesday before I'm able to log on here again - hope to read of your success then.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum