IAM AGM

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Porker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:14 pm

It's not exactly similar to what was done there, now is it? All CD have done is set a level at which members can become "full" by virtue of having passed a recognised test with a national organisation.

Given previous discussions where equivalence between the IAM and RoADAR's standards hasn't been agreed (i.e. does an IAM pass equate to a RoADAR silver?), trying to set out all possible standards and then drawing parallels between them is pretty much impossible.

It's also meaningless to some degree. Some who pass a given test will pass it easily - some will scrape through. All those who pass are then subject to change for better or worse in their standards.

All clubs and organisations need to own their own standards. They're rarely if ever directly comparable because you usually don't have a big enough group of individuals who've taken all of the tests to have any meaningful point of comparison, and even if you did you'd still fall foul of the "purposes and objectives" trap.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:03 pm

chriskay wrote:
Porker wrote:Please, let's not have another "equivalence" matrix of standards.

P.

Absolutely agree; let's just concentrate on some pleasant outings & co-driving. I know we can all learn something new by exposure to different techniques....

Yes, although it sometimes takes quite a while to sink in and have the benefits emerge; at least that's what I find. ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Porker wrote:I'm not suggesting they're not important at an individual level. Rather, that it's nigh on impossible to draw parallels between the standards required for different tests/accolades/whatever.

regards
P.

That sounds right to me. It depends on what particular mix of qualities best appeals to the judges, and how the separate elements of a (test) drive are weighted.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby GS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Porker wrote:Given previous discussions where equivalence between the IAM and RoADAR's standards hasn't been agreed (i.e. does an IAM pass equate to a RoADAR silver?), trying to set out all possible standards and then drawing parallels between them is pretty much impossible.

regards
P.

It strikes me that the only people who don't agree about RoSPA / IAM standards are those who do not want to accept what has been stated previously.
GS
GS

Postby Porker » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:57 pm

Oh - was an approximation agreed? If so, forgive me - I'd forgotten about that.

Even if it was, that's only a couple of tests which have broad recognition of having some point of equivalence. That still leaves plenty of room for debate, I suppose.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby vonhosen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:25 pm

TripleS wrote:
vonhosen wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Yea u could not have a test to be a member just membership gradings:

-Associate Memberships= Anyone who has an interests in good quality/safe road driving.

-Full Membership = IAM/Rospa Bronze

-Gold Membership = IAM Observer/ Rospa Gold/HPC Entry Standard

-Platnium Memberships = IAM Senior Observer/Rospa Tutor/HPC Honours 2, 3 and Gold.

Somthing like that :wink:

Why do you need the gradings ?

Status.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Nothing important then.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby ROG » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:24 pm

does an IAM pass equate to a RoADAR silver :?:

There is only one way that question will ever be truly answered and that is when the one IAM/ROSPA examiner does a simultanious double test with the same associate for IAM and ROSPA.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:27 pm

ROG wrote:There is only one way that question will ever be truly answered and that is when the one IAM/ROSPA examiner does a simultanious double test with the same associate for IAM and ROSPA.

IIRC it has already been answered by someone on here who examines for both :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:48 pm

vonhosen wrote:
TripleS wrote:
vonhosen wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Yea u could not have a test to be a member just membership gradings:

-Associate Memberships= Anyone who has an interests in good quality/safe road driving.

-Full Membership = IAM/Rospa Bronze

-Gold Membership = IAM Observer/ Rospa Gold/HPC Entry Standard

-Platnium Memberships = IAM Senior Observer/Rospa Tutor/HPC Honours 2, 3 and Gold.

Somthing like that :wink:

Why do you need the gradings ?

Status.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Nothing important then.

Exactly. It's not in the least bit important to you and I of course, who already have it in spades. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:53 pm

ROG wrote:
does an IAM pass equate to a RoADAR silver :?:

There is only one way that question will ever be truly answered and that is when the one IAM/ROSPA examiner does a simultanious double test with the same associate for IAM and ROSPA.

....in opposite directions on the same day, with no more than a one hour interval between the two tests......or is that something to do with Land Speed Records ? :P

....but simultaneous, you say....with the same Associate. Now that's what I call multi-tasking. :cool:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:55 am

Come on, you must know that GS is an examiner for both, and has stated that the pass threshold for IAM is the same as for Rospa Silver. I wonder whether for 2 fees he would assess you for both in the same drive!!!
waremark

Postby GS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:34 am

waremark wrote:Come on, you must know that GS is an examiner for both, and has stated that the pass threshold for IAM is the same as for Rospa Silver. I wonder whether for 2 fees he would assess you for both in the same drive!!!

Plus expenses!!
GS
GS

Postby ROG » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:34 am

waremark wrote:Come on, you must know that GS is an examiner for both, and has stated that the pass threshold for IAM is the same as for Rospa Silver. I wonder whether for 2 fees he would assess you for both in the same drive!!!

Examiner heaven :!: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Double the pay :D :D but double the paperwork :cry: :cry:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:45 am

That ought to merit a good discount.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 am

GS wrote:

Plus expenses!!

I thought your expenses would be covered by the fees paid, an all inclusive arrangement etc.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum