Group Bicker about Police, Driving and Politics...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby OILY PAWS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The only two things I can think of are

- the driver suffered a heart attack or was otherwise rendered unconscious by a health problem
- the driver was attacked from outside the vehicle

since you said the impact was with a wall. Either way, sounds like a bit of a freak accident. Hopefully not in a normal day's work.

Hope your neck gets better soon.

neither of those either, i'd rather not comment further on the cause ATM, thanks for the concern BTW
OILY PAWS

Postby MGF » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:14 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:Trained.......yes...........paid to risk their life......Nope, that goes for ALL the Services, the risking your life bit comes down to a personal judgement call.....other wise known as a Dynamic Risk Assessment

Do they stop being paid whist exercising their personal judgement under the 'Dynamic Risk Assessment'?

I figure not so they are most definately paid to risk their lives.
MGF

Postby OILY PAWS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 pm

But thats not Written or Implied in my Contract of Employment, in My job Spec...........or a Firefighters..........mmm Perlplexed
OILY PAWS

Postby MGF » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:29 pm

Well if it doesn't form part of your contract you're on a frolic and I don't think there are 'Dynamic Risk Assessments' for those. :) The fact that the level of risk you take is down to your own professional judgement (within guidelines I guess) doesn't mean you are not being paid to take that risk.
MGF

Postby OILY PAWS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gosh...........thanks for that, never realised *tugs forelock*

(must remember to Frolic tomorrow)
OILY PAWS

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

MGF wrote:
OILY PAWS wrote:Trained.......yes...........paid to risk their life......Nope, that goes for ALL the Services, the risking your life bit comes down to a personal judgement call.....other wise known as a Dynamic Risk Assessment

Do they stop being paid whist exercising their personal judgement under the 'Dynamic Risk Assessment'?

MGF I glad you said as I know and respect people who are prepared to put their life on line for others and they need due consideration and praise but it does anoy me when they complain they aren't paid to take the inherrant risks.

When I joined the police I knew the dangers and the level of renumeration and made the decision that I wanted to do the job enough that I prepared to take risks its pretty clear when you sign on the dotted line.

My other halfs grand farther was in the fire service for 20 odd years and was a divisional commander when he retired he gets paid a good final salary pension and is very well off. He is in 70's now and has several health problems from the fire service one cause be teaching BA and inhaling smoke from burning oil. He never ever complains he was not paid enough or is not now he is retired and he is very well respected ex fire person.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby OILY PAWS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 pm

jbsportstech wrote:
MGF wrote:

MGF I glad you said as I know and respect people who are prepared to put their life on line for others and they need due consideration and praise but it does anoy me when they complain they aren't paid to take the inherrant risks.

When I joined the police I knew the dangers and the level of renumeration and made the decision that I wanted to do the job enough that I prepared to take risks its pretty clear when you sign on the dotted line.

My other halfs grand farther was in the fire service for 20 odd years and was a divisional commander when he retired he gets paid a good final salary pension and is very well off. He is in 70's now and has several health problems from the fire service one cause be teaching BA and inhaling smoke from burning oil. He never ever complains he was not paid enough or is not now he is retired and he is very well respected ex fire person.

go back..........READ my posts again, and tell me EXACTLY where there is a complaint, and where amounts of wages or pensions come into it..........and if we are paid to take risks, why does a Rainforest get felled when somebody gets a cut finger.......... :D
OILY PAWS

Postby Red Herring » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Emergency service drivers are not paid to take risks. They are paid to do a job that by it's very nature involves risk, and most of the time they go to great lengths to keep this risk at a minimum. However nothing can be completely safe and they all know that it could go wrong, could involve them, and could be very serious. That is part of the job.
Red Herring

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:57 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:Planned then was it? :?

nope.......Definately Not down to Driver Error

Oh wow! One of those 5% of accidents that aren't down to driver error!

It would be interesting to find out more once you are happy to elaborate.

Hope all is well.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Red Herring wrote:Emergency service drivers are not paid to take risks. They are paid to do a job that by it's very nature involves risk, and most of the time they go to great lengths to keep this risk at a minimum. However nothing can be completely safe and they all know that it could go wrong, could involve them, and could be very serious. That is part of the job.

And where their management don't take steps to ensure those risks are kept to a minimum or that they don't take unnecessary risks, they could find themselves up in court.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby OILY PAWS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm

adiNigel wrote:
OILY PAWS wrote:
zadocbrown wrote:Planned then was it? :?

nope.......Definately Not down to Driver Error

Oh wow! One of those 5% of accidents that aren't down to driver error!

It would be interesting to find out more once you are happy to elaborate.

Hope all is well.

Nigel

Well all that depends on the time the investigation takes, and it wends it's weary way through our Legal System..........I saw everything that went on, he drove me on a number of occasions after that.......and I felt completely at ease. To put the driver error bit to bed, in todays compensation culture it would be easy for me to append blame on to the driver and walk away.........enough said........
OILY PAWS

Postby MGF » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Red Herring wrote:Emergency service drivers are not paid to take risks. They are paid to do a job that by it's very nature involves risk, and most of the time they go to great lengths to keep this risk at a minimum

So they are paid to do a job that necessarily involves risk but not paid to take those risks? Seems to me if risk is part and parcel of the job then those risks are being paid for.

The fact remains those in the emergency services are paid to take risks with their lives regardless of who does the risk assessment. Members of the public are not paid to take risks with their lives even if they choose to do so subsequent to carrying out their own risk assessment.

I believe that is the point JB was trying to make rather than claiming that firefighters have no say over risks because they are being paid to be exposed to them.
MGF

Postby vonhosen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:27 pm

MGF wrote:
Red Herring wrote:Emergency service drivers are not paid to take risks. They are paid to do a job that by it's very nature involves risk, and most of the time they go to great lengths to keep this risk at a minimum

So they are paid to do a job that necessarily involves risk but not paid to take those risks? Seems to me if risk is part and parcel of the job then those risks are being paid for.

The fact remains those in the emergency services are paid to take risks with their lives regardless of who does the risk assessment. Members of the public are not paid to take risks with their lives even if they choose to do so subsequent to carrying out their own risk assessment.

I believe that is the point JB was trying to make rather than claiming that firefighters have no say over risks because they are being paid to be exposed to them.

Every job has some risks, so we are all paid to do a job that entails some risk.
I'm not paid to give my life so that another may live.
I'm not paid to be a hero.
I'm not paid to take unnecessary risks.
I'll get an earful if I do.
There are endless H&S recommendations for me to adhere to in working practices, in order that I may go home at the end of the day.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Red Herring » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:30 pm

I think that is a rather simplistic view. Are teachers paid to get hit and abused by children? Are dustman paid to go home smelling of rubbish? Are prostitutes paid to get murdered? (sorry, couldn't resist it, Clarkson made me do it). These are all possible consequences of their jobs, but none are what their jobs are designed to do. Teachers are paid to teach, dustmen to clear rubbish, Prostitutes to....well, you get the drift.
Red Herring

Postby Red Herring » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:32 pm

vonhosen wrote:[
There are endless H&S recommendations for me to adhere to in working practices, in order that I may go home at the end of the day.

And there are loads of H&S recommendations that I gleefully ignore in order to do my job efficiently.
Red Herring

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum