Over-taking a block of cars

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Porker » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:11 pm

There's such a thing as knowing what you don't know too. That's not to say there aren't unknown unknowns as well.

However, hedgelines, brick walls and the like can restrict lateral visibility to a degree which makes an overtake more risky and perhaps worth deferring. This is an echo of Von's point regarding the safe speed rule, i.e. "...and can reasonably expect to remain clear."

P.
Porker

Postby Adamantus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Based on personal experience I've come up with the following strategy.

The moment you're in an overtaking position, you do it, then realise there's a car coming the other way, get in comfortably but then promise never to do it again. For this reason I have a rule never to overtake on single lane roads; it's just too dangerous. For one thing there are concealed junctions and people coming out don't always look both ways. So I say stick to the dual-carriageway sections.

Also you have to be aware of the limitations of your vehicle. I only have a 1.3 Ford Ka so I stick to 2 cars or one truck rule, that way I stay out of trouble.

Use the situation to learn to become more calm, perhaps the slow drivers have a point, at least in some cases.
Adamantus

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:21 pm

Adamantus wrote:For this reason I have a rule never to overtake on single lane roads; it's just too dangerous.

Not aimed at you, btw, but sadly this viewpoint seems to be becoming more and more commonplace. Have you considered enrolling in some advanced training to find out how one can overtake safely on single carriageway roads?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Adamantus wrote:Based on personal experience I've come up with the following strategy.

The moment you're in an overtaking position, you do it, then realise there's a car coming the other way, get in comfortably but then promise never to do it again. For this reason I have a rule never to overtake on single lane roads; it's just too dangerous. For one thing there are concealed junctions and people coming out don't always look both ways. So I say stick to the dual-carriageway sections.

Also you have to be aware of the limitations of your vehicle. I only have a 1.3 Ford Ka so I stick to 2 cars or one truck rule, that way I stay out of trouble.

Use the situation to learn to become more calm, perhaps the slow drivers have a point, at least in some cases.

Are you being ironic?

You can do a lot with 1.3l
zadocbrown

Postby PeterE » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Adamantus wrote:For this reason I have a rule never to overtake on single lane roads; it's just too dangerous.

What, not even cyclists and tractors? :roll:

Anyway, I hope you leave a decent gap so those who are prepared to overtake are given a chance.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby PeterE » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 pm

zadocbrown wrote:You can do a lot with 1.3l

Yes, most of successful overtaking is down to proper observation and timing, not power as such. I've seen people do successful overtakes in 2CVs :shock:
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby GJD » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:55 pm

Adamantus wrote:get in comfortably but then promise never to do it again.

If you got in comfortably, why would you want to never do it again?

Adamantus wrote:Use the situation to learn to become more calm, perhaps the slow drivers have a point, at least in some cases.

Calmness and overtaking are not mutually exclusive. You're best off you make them coincide.
GJD

Postby jont » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:57 pm

Adamantus wrote:Also you have to be aware of the limitations of your vehicle. I only have a 1.3 Ford Ka so I stick to 2 cars or one truck rule, that way I stay out of trouble.

I wonder if the Stressed one fancies demonstrating what a 1.3 Ka is capable of... :lol:
jont

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:28 pm

StressedDave wrote:I've done a string of 13 at once in a Ka before now, but that was because it was a queue behind a convoy and no-one else thought it appropriate...

....and of course the fact that he'd already cunningly slipped a 4.2 litre 300 bhp V8 into the car might also have had a bearing on his range of options.

OTOH the huge bulge in the bonnet might have made his forward vision a bit more tricky.... :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:30 pm

:shock: Leave it out guv, there's folks 'ere wots young and innocent....like me. :mrgreen:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TiJay » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:47 pm

I've done a string of 13 at once in a Ka before now, but that was because it was a queue behind a convoy and no-one else thought it appropriate...

I overtook a block of 6 cars in my old 1.25 Fiesta during my IAM training... :lol: Lack of power doesn't mean you can't overtake, you just need more room and more planning :)
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby Gromit37 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Never overtake a thing? Never overtake on a single lane road? Perhaps we should never stop on a road or turn right. If I recall correctly, rear end shunts and being struck when turning across oncoming traffic are the most numerous road "accidents" in the UK. Maybe this AD lark is getting too sanitised :roll:
Gromit37

Postby heeloth » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 pm

The "safest" way to overtake a block of cars that are close together? Don't do it.
heeloth

Postby Standard Dave » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:41 pm

heeloth wrote:The "safest" way to overtake a block of cars that are close together? Don't do it.

Care to add a reason for that?
Standard Dave

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 pm

heeloth wrote:The "safest" way to overtake a block of cars that are close together? Don't do it.

Surely that depends on the situation? How far ahead can you see? How many cars? How close together? How fast are they travelling? :D
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum